Overclocking question - Simple question not found elseware

Alright because I haven't seen this anywhere else.

I have a quick question.

If cooling isn't a problem:

Will just changing the cpu multiplier cause my hardware to break?

I am talking just changing the multiplier, NOT THE VOLTAGE or anything else.

All that with cooling being a nonissue. 

Will changing just the cpu multiplier wreck my hardware if cooling is a nonissue. 

Thank you.

I did not find this answer anywhere else. People haven't asked this specific question.

Technically,that will cause stability issues,as the cpu could get not enough power for the overclock. Run a stability test for at least 24 hrs and see if the cpu can handle it at stock voltage. If not,up the voltage a bit.

2 minutes ago, MrP said:

I have a quick question.

Will changing just the cpu multiplier wreck my hardware if cooling is a nonissue. 

Thank you.

I did not find this answer anywhere else. People haven't asked this specific question.

Changing the multiplier wouldn't "wreck" your hardware at all, even if you had terrible cooling. At worst, it would thermal throttle/shut down. Changing the multiplier is easily possible without touching voltage, but depending on the chip, and your luck, it might be unstable. I was able to take my G3258 from 3.2ghz to 4ghz on stock VID. Some chips though, can become unstable even with a slight adjustment.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Well that didn't answer my questions. Will only increasing the CPU multiplier wreck(damage) my hardware.

2 minutes ago, MrP said:

I have a quick question.

Thank you.

The only damage in overclocking comes from overvolting. Intel's auto-voltage will not put it high enough to damage the CPU.

What you will see, at some point, it system instability. You will need to increase voltage to get higher overclocks.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Just now, MageTank said:

Changing the multiplier wouldn't "wreck" your hardware at all, even if you had terrible cooling. At worst, it would thermal throttle/shut down. Changing the multiplier is easily possible without touching voltage, but depending on the chip, and your luck, it might be unstable. I was able to take my G3258 from 3.2ghz to 4ghz on stock VID. Some chips though, can become unstable even with a slight adjustment.

Ok that answers my question. But if I want just a basic safe overclock I can steadily increase the multiplier alone and be safe correct?

Just now, MrP said:

Ok that answers my question. But if I want just a basic safe overclock I can steadily increase the multiplier alone and be safe correct?

That's the same question. The answer is yes, it's perfectly safe.

Just now, MrP said:

If thermals are fine, yes. Remember. Voltage in and of itself is not the sole destroyer of computer hardware. Heat, the byproduct of voltage and terrible cooling, tends to cause more harm in the long run. It's a known fact that keeping your hardware cool will prolong its life. Even at stock voltage, if you let your CPU run hot enough all day, its lifespan will decrease.

Overclocking, even without adding voltage, will still add more heat. Just make sure your thermal solution can handle it. 

Awesome! All I want is a slightly faster clock and to be safe :) Thanks guys! My first post and it was answered in record time haha.

Yeah I have a highend liquid cooling system thats why I stated cooling isnt an issue. I don't plan on doing an insane overclock, just enough to get a little extra "uhmph" out of my cpu for free. :) Thanks y'all.

11 minutes ago, MrP said:

I have a quick question.

Thank you.

While overclocking be careful - On the day I built my rig I ran into some trouble while overclocking and my computer wouldn't give my monitor a signal - all fans would run but nothing, simple fix had to reset the cmos battery. So keep in mind reset cmos if something isn't working right is your best option if the last place you were in was the bios.

Oh, another thing. What if I underclock?? by decreasing the multiplier? Will that cause system instability?

3 minutes ago, MrP said:

Oh, another thing. What if I underclock?? by decreasing the multiplier? Will that cause system instability?

Probably, but only if you underclock really really really far, and not for the same reason as overclocking.

Better question: Why do you want to?

Well, save power! I don't always game and render things! :D Sometimes I just want to browse. :)

2 minutes ago, MrP said:

Well, save power! I don't always game and render things! :D Sometimes I just want to browse. :)

Umm, the CPU is intelligent enough to handle that for you. It's kinda why we have C states power saving features.