Bringing a boat into 2016

KirbyTech

I have a boat from 1977 it is not huge but big enough for the lakes I go on. I have already decided I am updating the stereo from an 8 track, some of you much older ones might know what they are. I am also planning to do white leds to light up the inside of the boat. I am wondering what other tech things I can put in the boat that would make sense other than gps have one of them on the way as well. 

a subwoofer

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

a subwoofer

That goes in with speakers.

2016 huh?  Well drones are popular, why not add some very large propellers so that it's a boat... and a flying drone.  It can travel on water, and on air.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Does it have a AM/FM radio?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just now, ALwin said:

2016 huh?  Well drones are popular, why not add some very large propellers so that it's a boat... and a flying drone.

haha aren't you funny...

Just now, thekeemo said:

Does it have a AM/FM radio?

Did you read the OP? I mentioned updating the stereo, so since almost all marine stereos have radios built in, yeah it will have one. 

Just now, KirbyTech said:

Did you read the OP? I mentioned updating the stereo, so since almost all marine stereos have radios built in, yeah it will have one. 

stereo =/= radio..

I assumed you had it but I wasnt 100% sure

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

3 minutes ago, KirbyTech said:

haha aren't you funny...

Well what does the boat look like now?  If you want to add a sound system why not just get a portable one so that you can take it home and won't get stolen if left on the boat.

If I had a boat, I'd probably use it for diving so depending on how big it is I might add an air compressor for refilling my tanks, a rack for mounting tanks and perhaps an underwater scooter.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

3 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

stereo =/= radio..

I assumed you had it but I wasnt 100% sure

Yeah it =/= it but yeah they come as a combo with an easy plug and play connection on them for the most part.

A depth gauge might be nice to have.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

11 hours ago, bob345 said:

That is not a bad one, I think I might see if I can get one of them into my gps.

11 hours ago, bob345 said:

23 minutes ago, KirbyTech said:

That is not a bad one, I think I might see if I can get one of them into my gps.

And how do you intend to use a depth gauge?  The boat is on the surface of the water, to use a depth gauge you'd have to submerge it.  If you want to measure how deep the bottom is, wouldn't a sonar be better?

Just now, ALwin said:

And how do you intend to use a depth gauge?  The boat is on the surface of the water, to use a depth gauge you'd have to submerge it.  If you want to measure how deep the bottom is, wouldn't a sonar be better?

I don't think you understand how they work. You put a transducer on the transom and wire it into the gauge. Or there is thru-hull ones but those are normally more expensive.   

1 minute ago, KirbyTech said:

I don't think you understand how they work. You put a transducer on the transom and wire it into the gauge. Or there is thru-hull ones but those are normally more expensive.   

I have a depth gauge, it's part of my scuba diving kit. I'm looking up how ones mounted to the bottom of a boat works.  The depth gauges I know measure depth based on water pressure and density.  The ones I know used by boats use sonar to see how depth the bottom is.

Just now, ALwin said:

I have a depth gauge, it's part of my scuba diving kit. I'm looking up how ones mounted to the bottom of a boat works.  The depth gauges I know measure depth based on water pressure and density.  The ones I know used by boats use sonar to see how depth the bottom is.

Yeah the diving ones are different. The boats for boats work how I said above. So no they don't use water pressure instead sonar yes. That does not change what they are called though. They are still a depth gauge.  I own a scuba diving one for my kit and yes it is no where close to the same thing as ones for boats. But has the same end result.

Just now, KirbyTech said:

Yeah the diving ones are different. The boats for boats work how I said above. So no they don't use water pressure instead sonar yes. That does not change what they are called though. They are still a depth gauge.  I own a scuba diving one for my kit and yes it is no where close to the same thing as ones for boats. But has the same end result.

Ok cool, I got it now.

Get a PLB beacon if your going to remote areas without cell service. Make sure it is one that will float obviously for boating applications. Assuming you don't have one already. 

iso-view-resqlink__72.jpg?width=470&heig

Definitely need a ROV,

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/757471-REG/VideoRay_ROV_SYS_SCT_X3_N_Scout_X3_Economy_ROV.html

But on a serious note, a cheap underwater camera and a strong retrieval magnet can be a lot of fun and even profitable.  My fish finder has a video input and when the fish aren't biting it's fun to do a little treasure hunting, we've found everything from hundreds of fishing lures to boat motors and even a Ford model A.

camera,

http://www.amazon.com/Vanxse%C2%AE-Underwater-Camera-700tvl-Finder/dp/B00QT1YR26/ref=pd_sim_sbs_421_10?ie=UTF8&dpID=41MJpCdv8rL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1H9DZGRAN7GEEPK64XYR

magnet,

http://www.amazon.com/Strong-Retrieval-Recovery-Magnet-Prospecting/dp/B00I6JLB2I/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1455992161&sr=8-10&keywords=retrieval+magnet

As someone who designs and installs electrical systems on boats for a living I have one request: please use proper marine wiring techniques. If you're experienced already, good on ya and you can ignore what I say. :P

No marrets, those belong in houses and even then they're junk. Use proper insulated crimp connectors,  heatshrink is even better. 

And since your boat is from '77 go through it and check your connections for corrosion. And try to use proper stranded cable, I've seen too many boats with solid core house cable run through them lately. Also check for a proper bonding system. I'm not sure if your hull is metal or not; this changes the requirements a bit, but it can improve the lifespan of your electronics and connections.

And if you want a reliable GPS system don't rely on an all in one display to be accurate. The best systems utilize a remote mounted antenna, which gives a much clearer and accurate location lock. Doesn't matter if it's Garmin, Furuno or whatever, for the average boater they're all good.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Just now, ApolloX75 said:

As someone who designs and installs electrical systems on boats for a living I have one request: please use proper marine wiring techniques. If you're experienced already, good on ya and you can ignore what I say. :P

No marrets, those belong in houses and even then they're junk. Use proper insulated crimp connectors,  heatshrink is even better. 

And since your boat is from '77 go through it and check your connections for corrosion. And try to use proper stranded cable, I've seen too many boats with solid core house cable run through them lately. Also check for a proper bonding system. I'm not sure if your hull is metal or not; this changes the requirements a bit, but it can improve the lifespan of your electronics and connections.

And if you want a reliable GPS system don't rely on an all in one display to be accurate. The best systems utilize a remote mounted antenna, which gives a much clearer and accurate location lock. Doesn't matter if it's Garmin, Furuno or whatever, for the average boater they're all good.

Thanks for the advice, this is not my first time redoing a boat. Last time was a complete gut and rebuild from hull up. Plan is to fully redo the electrical in this boat since even though I can not find corrosion the wiring is not as neat as I would like. Hull on this boat is fiberglass but all connections that I can will be running along white oak sheets to make things easier and cleaner for the future. 

Not sure what you mean by bonding system, mind explaining a bit? And how to will improve the lifespan of the electronics?

Have a GPS here now already it is a all in one unit I have used before and is accurate to what appear to be about .5 meters which while not perfect is good enough for me as I only really need it for finding my way back in a storm. I have used the unit before on another boat and it did wonderful. 

1 hour ago, ApolloX75 said:

No marrets, those belong in houses and even then they're junk.

Today I learned what the real name for a twist connector is. Ty sir :D