How Amazon's 'Lumberyard' Engine Will Improve the Indie MMORPG Scene

eyecantseeover24fps

http://deliddedtech.com/2016/02/10/amazons-free-lumberyard-engine-helps-indie-developers-create-mmorpgs/

Amazon seeks to reduce the barrier of creating online games by providing an engine for creating multiplayer games with ease, as well as utilizing their AWS service for hosting servers. This allows developers to focus on designing & building their game, rather than worrying about the challenges of creating an MMORPG engine, and maintaining the infrastructure for hosting a game that will be played by millions of players.

We've seen the announcement of Amazon's Lumberyard, but few sites seem to expand upon how much potential it has to be used to create MMORPGs. Most tend to focus on the graphical element of it, which is based on Cryengine. I personally look forward to seeing smaller companies make unique MMORPGs with Lumberyard. It's support for integration with AWS and Gamelift makes it very easy for small development teams to produce and release MMORPGs without requiring a dedicated team for infrastructure, and producing both a server and client.

That seems cool. Depending on how easy it is to use their servers it almost turns MMORPG creation into just RPG creation...could be an interesting time to be a gamer.

Good thing as far as ease of use without need for dedicated team for needed infrastructure. Let's see who does it first now.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Kind of a cool idea because there is an immense amount of work to get multiplayer systems up and running. This leaves a lot more time to spend on improvements to gameplay or story. The only question though is how many of these "indie" MMOs will actually be worth playing for more than a month or two. I guess time will have to tell on that.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Indie MMO

Nothing about this sounds appealing. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised, but I won't hold my breath.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

7 hours ago, ivan134 said:

Indie MMO

Nothing about this sounds appealing. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised, but I won't hold my breath.

MMO has lost a lot of it's meaning in past years. It went from meaning a hugely persistent open world to basically any game that has multiplayer and RPG mechanics that is popular.

For example, people consider DayZ,  and Destiny an MMO lol.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

So it will "improve" things by making it even easier to produce crap games on an already overly saturated market?

That's not an improvement, that's the opposite spectrum of improving things.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Written by a layman, obviously.

Anyone who has worked with CryEngine knows it has the absolutely most horrific spaghetti netcode you'll ever see in an AAA engine. So bad, that it took Cloud Imperium Games an extra year to weed it out with 240 employees. But their branch of CryEngine is separate from this one, and I severely doubt the Lumberyard team has had the foresight to put THAT much resources into it.

In fact I guarantee you that the most you'll see out of this engine for the foreseeable 3-4 years is standard shooters and maybe survival games with lobbies and no real persistency. Max player count per instance 24-30.

No good MMO will come of this engine unless it becomes an industry standard in short time.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.