Can the Nikon D3300 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens zoom out as far as the Sony Handycam PJ440 can?

pbc561

Can the Nikon D3300 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens zoom out as far as the Sony Handycam PJ440 can (Focal Length 26.8 - 804 mm and Zoom Optical: 30x)? Or would I need a different lens? If so, which one(s)? I'm trying to stay under $500-600 USD total.

If you have another recommendation for camera/lens, please let me know. I basically want the footage to look exactly like the video in the screenshot attached below from this video at 56 seconds. It's just that based on where I need to place my camera and how big my white table and the products are, so far only that PJ440 camera (that I've actually tried) can zoom out enough.

Thanks.

ss.JPG

Yes the minimum focal length is comparable.  The D3300 I think has a 1.5x sensor modifier so at 18mm it is equivalent to 27mm on a full frame cam.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

1 hour ago, Samfisher said:

Yes the minimum focal length is comparable.  The D3300 I think has a 1.5x sensor modifier so at 18mm it is equivalent to 27mm on a full frame cam.

How about the Panasonic - G7 Mirrorless Camera with LUMIX G VARIO 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II ASPH./MEGA O.I.S. Lens or any of the other Nikon D5xxx? Would any of those be better for my needs than the D3300?

You need to understand crop factors and how they relate to field of view.

The G7 has a MFT sensor, with a 2x crop factor.

Nikon APS-C has a 1.5x Crop factor.

So you multiply the focal length by the crop factor to understand their equivalent field of view.

Additionally, instead of trying to mimic/copy what someone else is doing in their video I strongly recommend you study a bit about photo/video-graphy and working with a camera.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer