Need help updating BIOS and setting XMP profile

Hi Guys, need some help.  Fairly new computer and having issues updating BIOS and setting XMP profile (computer specs in signature block).  Issues are as follows:

1) When using MSI Live Update, it recognizes that there is a new BIOS version available (current version of 1.2 vs new version of 1.5); however, after downloading and it giving me the install screen and forcing a reboot, when I log back into MSI Live Update it still says it is running v 1.2.  Shouldn't it be installing the new bios when using MSI Live Update to download and install?  I am using the "total installer" option that is supposed to download and auto install I thought...

2) My computer keeps crashing, freezing, or failing to boot due to "failed overclock" when trying to set the XMP profile for me RAM.  I spent a ton of time and effort trying to find compatible memory on the factory website to make sure I didn't have any compatibility issues, but yet here I am... Turning XMP on in BIOS and save/starting give me the failed overclock screen.  Trying to load a optimized profile or adjust the voltage just freezes the computer in BIOS.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

|[ i7 6700k ][ MSI z170a XPower Gaming Titanium MB ][ 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz ][ Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 980ti ][ Samsung Evo & Intel SSDs ][ Corsair 540 air ][ XFX Pro 750w Platinum ][ 24" Asus 144hz ]|

https://us.msi.com/product/motherboard/support/Z170A-XPOWER-GAMING-TITANIUM-EDITION.html#down-bios

download the 1.5 BIOS and put it onto a FAT32 formatted USB drive plugged into one of the MOBO ports (not front panel).

Then follow the last half of this video

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Thank you, will do, but should the Live Update be doing it automatically?

Also, could the BIOS be the cause of the XMP issues?

|[ i7 6700k ][ MSI z170a XPower Gaming Titanium MB ][ 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz ][ Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 980ti ][ Samsung Evo & Intel SSDs ][ Corsair 540 air ][ XFX Pro 750w Platinum ][ 24" Asus 144hz ]|

7 minutes ago, Low_Battery said:

Thank you, will do, but should the Live Update be doing it automatically?

Also, could the BIOS be the cause of the XMP issues?

IMO never update a BIOS through "Live" or over WAN anything. Only introduces the potential for problems. Old school FAT USB and BIOS file is the best method. Not sure on what Live Update should/should not be doing. On my ASRock board the internet enabled capabilities for BIOS updates still have to be forced in order for the update to happen, it doesn't automatically do anything.

The BIOS could definitely be a cause of XMP/RAM compatibility issues. 1.4 & 1.5 specifically site memory compatibility updates.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

2 minutes ago, runit3 said:

IMO never update a BIOS through "Live" or over WAN anything. Only introduces the potential for problems. Old school FAT USB and BIOS file is the best method.

The BIOS could definitely be a cause of XMP/RAM compatibility issues. 1.4 & 1.5 specifically site memory compatibility updates.

Ok, dl'ed and will install, try the XMP again, and update. THanks again.

NP. If it still doesn't work check to see if the XMP is enabling BCLK to 125, that could be the source of the problem if that Trident Z kit was intended for X99. Should be able to enable XMP, then drop BCLK to 100 and it'll work (in theory).

24 minutes ago, runit3 said:

NP. If it still doesn't work check to see if the XMP is enabling BCLK to 125, that could be the source of the problem if that Trident Z kit was intended for X99. Should be able to enable XMP, then drop BCLK to 100 and it'll work (in theory).

I was able to install the BIOS, and the system now recognizes v1.5 ... although it froze during startup two different times even without XMP enabled which is strange...

Also, XMP still gives the initially black splash screen with white text saying that the OC failed.

1) Do I need to manually adjust the voltage, or shouldn't XMP be doing this automatically?
2) This is the first computer I have built with XMP - are there any other settings I need to adjust after enabling XMP (other than your suggestion above)?

45 minutes ago, runit3 said:

P.S. I double checked the RAM model number, and the description says it is optimized for z170 boards... the newegg title is as follows:

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3000C15D-16GTZ

46 minutes ago, Low_Battery said:

I was able to install the BIOS, and the system now recognizes v1.5 ... although it froze during startup two different times even without XMP enabled which is strange...

Also, XMP still gives the initially black splash screen with white text saying that the OC failed.

1) Do I need to manually adjust the voltage, or shouldn't XMP be doing this automatically?
2) This is the first computer I have built with XMP - are there any other settings I need to adjust after enabling XMP (other than your suggestion above)?

1) Reset CMOS or load optimized defaults

2) Note processor multiplier values

3) Note Core and Cache voltages -probably on Auto

3) Note RAM default voltage values (probably in the 1.2-1.35v range)

4) Boot into OS and take a CPU-Z Screenshot of the CPU, Memory, and SPD tabs (just load 3 instances of CPU-Z and do it all in one)

-upload that here if possible

5) Go back into BIOS and select a divider from the XMP menu

6) Check the Multiplier for the CPU, it should not have changed

7) Check BCLK, should be at 100

8) Check to make sure that XMP has changed the DRAM voltage to 1.35v. If it hasn't manually change it to 1.35v.

9) Check primary timings, should read 15-15-15-35-2N. If they do not read that, manually key in those rated values. All secondary and tertiary timings should be on Auto (for now).

10) Check the memory speed divider setting, should say Auto with "3000MHz" somewhere next to it OR say 3000MHz. Ratio should also be 100:100.

Sorry for the ridiculous laundry list. If one of those "Check" steps doesn't pop up immediately as something being misconfigured it's only going to go downhill from here :(

4 hours ago, runit3 said:

4) Boot into OS and take a CPU-Z Screenshot of the CPU, Memory, and SPD tabs (just load 3 instances of CPU-Z and do it all in one)

8) Check to make sure that XMP has changed the DRAM voltage to 1.35v. If it hasn't manually change it to 1.35v.

9) Check primary timings, should read 15-15-15-35-2N. If they do not read that, manually key in those rated values. All secondary and tertiary timings should be on Auto (for now).

10) Check the memory speed divider setting, should say Auto with "3000MHz" somewhere next to it OR say 3000MHz. Ratio should also be 100:100.

Sorry for the ridiculous laundry list. If one of those "Check" steps doesn't pop up immediately as something being misconfigured it's only going to go downhill from here :(

Not ridiculous at all!  I really appreciate the thoroughness and attempt to help! I'll follow-up with my results.

16 hours ago, runit3 said:

Ok, so here we go:

1) I reset the CMOS and just changed any obvious needed changes (ie my MB has a setting for Windows 10 vs Windows 7).

2) My processor multiplier values for each core are as follows: 42, 40, 40, 40 (I am guessing the 42 has to do with the boost feature, which says it goes to 4200mhz, but didn't realize it was only for one core...)

3) CPU core voltage is 1.228v; I couldn't find a cache voltage, but there was another voltage near titled "CPU SA" that switches between 1.056 and 1.064

3x2) The default RAM voltage is 1.2v @ 2133mhz (this is down regulated from the stock advertised value of 3000mhz @ 1.35v)

4) See screen shot below.

5) I didn't see anything labeled "divider," but the MB automatically matches a recommended XMP profile for the RAM.  The difference is settings are listed in more detail under #9 below.

6) When selecting the XMP profile, it doesn't show any changes to the CPU, but then again I cannot actually set it and go back to see what actually changed since it freezes, and when restarts, the default settings are back.

7) The default CPU BCLK is set at 100.

8) The voltage in the XMP profile says it will change to 1.35v, but doesn't show that it changes the setting on the configurable line item before saving, at which point it freezes and i cannot tell if it actually is changing the voltage to the proper level.  The line item that you can set says " 1.2v........[AUTO]" with the setting under the XMP Profile (after enabled) showing up in grey under the line and says "DDR4 3000 1, 15, 15, 15, 35, 1.35v."

9) Difference between current and XMP profile suggested settings are as follows:

• Current settings in respective order (SDRAM cycle time, tcl, trcd, trp, tras, trfc, trrd, rrd_l, tfaw, trc) : 1, 15, 15, 15, 35, 278, 4, 6, 23, 50
  • Recommend setting per XMP profile in the same respective order as shown above & differences bolded: 1, 15, 15, 15, 35, 391, 6, 7, 30, 50
  • Also of note, even for the settings that have the same clock speed, the respective timing (in nano seconds and shown next to the clock #'s listed above) is different.  For example, a 15 clock speed at default results in a 13.xx ns speed, whereas under the XMP profile that same 15 clock results in a 9.xx ns speed).  Hopefully this makes sense...I can try and take a picture if not.  Also, these are just the speeds listed in the profiles, the actual setting where you set them all read as "AUTO," and the "command rate" shows as 2 (no setting that says "2n" that I saw).

10) Again, didn't see anything labeled "divider," but the XMP profile says DDR 3000 (1500mhz), but when turned on, the frequency says it is changed to 3000mhz. The stock setting shows as DDR4 2133 (1066mhz), but the BIOS recognizes it at 2133mhz.   I don't recall seeing a "ratio" setting for the RAM.

Screen shot from #4:

CPUmemorySPD.png

P.S.  Why in CPUZ does the SPD read different JEDEC CAS Latency timings for the four different slots?  The RAM is identical (supposed to be) and came in a 2x8 set.

6 hours ago, Low_Battery said:

Ok, so here we go:

Is the freeze happening while IN the BIOS? In that you select XMP, then the BIOS freezes, and restarts?

Also, that version of CPU-Z is two versions old. I would guess that is why the multiplier and bus speed are not displaying. CPU SA is system agent, you shouldn't need to touch that value with the Skylake IMC (for 3000MHz).

The XMP timings you listed should be correct, when enabling XMP the secondary and tertiary timings will loosen.

At this point lets do the down and dirty way, since XMP sounds like it's causing more problems than anything.

In the BIOS leave all the default settings alone except;

DRAM Voltage 1.35v. If you have a pre-boot, eventual, or training voltage setting for the DRAM, set them all to 1.35v. Pre-Post the board will run the RAM through a series of trainings, having at 1.35v could help.

Timings:

Key in 15, 15, 15, 35, 50 with a command rate of 2N/T (however it's listed). Leave all the secondary and tertiary timings on auto, they will loosen automatically in training.

Save and exit and hope for POST.

If you make it into the OS update CPU-Z and then grab another screenshot.

7 hours ago, Low_Battery said:

P.S.  Why in CPUZ does the SPD read different JEDEC CAS Latency timings for the four different slots?  The RAM is identical (supposed to be) and came in a 2x8 set.

The listings are per slot, you can see the "Slot #2" label underneath the Memory Slot Selection title. CPU-Z reads all of the available stock configurations for each individual DIMM. THAT particular DIMM looks 100% correct with 3 JEDEC standard options and its XMP profile as the last option.

3 minutes ago, runit3 said:

Is the freeze happening while IN the BIOS? In that you select XMP, then the BIOS freezes, and restarts?

Also, that version of CPU-Z is two versions old. I would guess that is why the multiplier and bus speed are not displaying. CPU SA is system agent, you shouldn't need to touch that value with the Skylake IMC (for 3000MHz).

The XMP timings you listed should be correct, when enabling XMP the secondary and tertiary timings will loosen.

At this point lets do the down and dirty way, since XMP sounds like it's causing more problems than anything.

In the BIOS leave all the default settings alone except;

DRAM Voltage 1.35v. If you have a pre-boot, eventual, or training voltage setting for the DRAM, set them all to 1.35v. Pre-Post the board will run the RAM through a series of trainings, having at 1.35v could help.

Timings:

Key in 15, 15, 15, 35, 50 with a command rate of 2N/T (however it's listed). Leave all the secondary and tertiary timings on auto, they will loosen automatically in training.

Save and exit and hope for POST.

If you make it into the OS update CPU-Z and then grab another screenshot.

The listings are per slot, you can see the "Slot #2" label underneath the Memory Slot Selection title. CPU-Z reads all of the available stock configurations for each individual DIMM. THAT particular DIMM looks 100% correct with 3 JEDEC standard options and its XMP profile as the last option.

The BIOS froze a couple times, but is not 100% repeatable.  Getting the failed overclock message after enabling the XMP profile does happen 100% of the time.

I will try you recommendations, but just to clarify, are you suggesting NOT to touch the RAM frequency setting and see if manually setting the other timing will automatically upclock it, or should I increase the frequency to 3000mhz at the same time as the other settings?

Also, in your opinion, if everything else with the board and setup is fine, is this issue worth an RMA?  Could it be the RAM's fault? I hate the thought of going through that process, and really need my computer in the short term, but I also hate the idea of paying as much as I did for a faulty board. My experience has been that usually one fault is a prelude to other faults as everything is so interdependent. Although perhaps the answer is dependent on if the RAM can be set manually...

4 minutes ago, Low_Battery said:

The BIOS froze a couple times, but is not 100% repeatable.  Getting the failed overclock message after enabling the XMP profile does happen 100% of the time.

I will try you recommendations, but just to clarify, are you suggesting NOT to touch the RAM frequency setting and see if manually setting the other timing will automatically upclock it, or should I increase the frequency to 3000mhz at the same time as the other settings?

Also, in your opinion, if everything else with the board and setup is fine, is this issue worth an RMA?  Could it be the RAM's fault? I hate the thought of going through that process, and really need my computer in the short term, but I also hate the idea of paying as much as I did for a faulty board. My experience has been that usually one fault is a prelude to other faults as everything is so interdependent. Although perhaps the answer is dependent on if the RAM can be set manually...

Sorry, long day at work, yes set the divider to 3000MHz. You're manually editing all the values to reflect XMP timings while not enabling XMP through the BIOS.

RMA is really dependent on which component is bad. I had to RMA my first G.SKill 3000MHz kit for my X99 build, but they were insanely helpful and I had less than a 2 week turnaround. As far as the board goes I have no experience with MSI or their RMA process.

If you had a spare kit of DDR4 lying around you would be able to immediately rule out one or the other as the source of the problem. The freezing BIOS makes me nervous, especially due to it being random. I wouldn't guess that simply selecting XMP timings could lock out a BIOS, as you're not actually saving anything by just selecting/editing values.

Just now, runit3 said:

Sorry, long day at work, yes set the divider to 3000MHz. You're manually enabling all the XMP timings while not enabling XMP through the BIOS.

RMA is really dependent on which component is bad. I had to RMA my first G.SKill 3000MHz kit for my X99 build, but they were insanely helpful and I had less than a 2 week turnaround. As far as the board goes I have no experience with MSI or their RMA process.

If you had a spare kit of DDR4 lying around you would be able to immediately rule out one or the other as the source of the problem. The freezing BIOS makes me nervous, especially due to it being random. I wouldn't guess that simply selecting XMP timings could lock out a BIOS, as you're not actually saving anything by just selecting/editing values.

No worries - I really appreciate the help!

Unfortunately I don't have any other DDR4, this is my first board that supports it.

Thinking back more, I recall one of the freezes was after enabling the auto overclock feature (it has an overclock knob that can be controlled manually / physcially of via software / BIOS). However, it's been a long week for me too, and I can recall if it happened after I flashed the BIOS or not. I think the other time was during setting up the XMP profile.

Just now, Low_Battery said:

No worries - I really appreciate the help!

Unfortunately I don't have any other DDR4, this is my first board that supports it.

Thinking back more, I recall one of the freezes was after enabling the auto overclock feature (it has an overclock knob that can be controlled manually / physcially of via software / BIOS). However, it's been a long week for me too, and I can recall if it happened after I flashed the BIOS or not. I think the other time was during setting up the XMP profile.

yeeeeaaah steer clear of anything labeled "Auto-OC", whether that be through software or a fiddly bit on the board. Bad things happen. Always.

If manually setting the RAM doesn't work and you still get the "OC Failed" message you'll have to go back and edit some of the CPU core/voltage values. It might actually be your chip if the message was to be believed -it really shouldn't be, I've had RAM settings failures throw the same message after failing training- which is actually how I figured out my kit was bad.

30 minutes ago, runit3 said:

yeeeeaaah steer clear of anything labeled "Auto-OC", whether that be through software or a fiddly bit on the board. Bad things happen. Always.

If manually setting the RAM doesn't work and you still get the "OC Failed" message you'll have to go back and edit some of the CPU core/voltage values. It might actually be your chip if the message was to be believed -it really shouldn't be, I've had RAM settings failures throw the same message after failing training- which is actually how I figured out my kit was bad.

Nope - still not working :( Still getting the same screen saying the overclock failed and setting were restored to default (although this time when I went into BIOS the manually set settings were still there...).

Of note, the last number in the timings you listed (50) appeared to be for tRC, but tRC wasn't an option to manually set.  Instead, the option in its place was tRFC, so I set it to the setting recommended by the XMP profile, which was 391.  Since it said that lower values resulted in even more instability, I opted not to try it at 50.

I also tried all the manual settings with XMP enabled, and still the same result...

There were these settings which I left at default, but perhaps you may spot something out of place:

DRAM Timing Mode: Link (other options are Auto or Unlink)

DRAM Ref Clock: Auto (other options are 100 or 133)

DRAM VPP: Auto (need to manually enter a value)

DRAM VREF: Auto (other options were CPU or HW)

Any suggestion as to how to move forward?

Lastly, here is a screenshot of the new CPUZ (other tabs were the same as before, so just posting the CPU tab)

CPUZUpdate.png

1 hour ago, runit3 said:

When you say "it might actually be your chip," are you referring to my RAM?  Or the CPU?  Or?

Also, do you think it would be worthwhile to run MemTest86?  Are there any other diagnostic programs that you would recommend just to make sure things are running as they should?

Thanks!

31 minutes ago, Low_Battery said:

Nope - still not working :( Still getting the same screen saying the overclock failed and setting were restored to default (although this time when I went into BIOS the manually set settings were still there...).

Of note, the last number in the timings you listed (50) appeared to be for tRC, but tRC wasn't an option to manually set.  Instead, the option in its place was tRFC, so I set it to the setting recommended by the XMP profile, which was 391.  Since it said that lower values resulted in even more instability, I opted not to try it at 50.

I also tried all the manual settings with XMP enabled, and still the same result...

There were these settings which I left at default, but perhaps you may spot something out of place:

DRAM Timing Mode: Link (other options are Auto or Unlink)

DRAM Ref Clock: Auto (other options are 100 or 133)

DRAM VPP: Auto (need to manually enter a value)

DRAM VREF: Auto (other options were CPU or HW)

Any suggestion as to how to move forward?

Lastly, here is a screenshot of the new CPUZ (other tabs were the same as before, so just posting the CPU tab)

Ref clock you can set to 100. VPP/VREF can be left alone.

Just for the hell of it try swapping the kit to the other bank of DIMM slots, at least that would rule out those particular slots on the board throwing something. Never hurts to remount anyways.

After that set the CPU voltage to Manual, key in 1.35v.

Sync all cores to x42 mult

Try booting.

Just now, Low_Battery said:

When you say "it might actually be your chip," are you referring to my RAM?  Or the CPU?  Or?

Also, do you think it would be worthwhile to run MemTest86?  Are there any other diagnostic programs that you would recommend just to make sure things are running as they should?

Thanks!

The "Overclocking Failed" message will get thrown for a variety of reasons, one of which could be the CPU not being stable during training. It's HIGHLY doubtful that anything is up with the CPU, but MSI or Gigabyte will ask you if you've OC'd during the RMA process. This way you can give then a resounding, "broken at stock, broken at 1.35v with stock turbo multiplier".

4 minutes ago, runit3 said:

The "Overclocking Failed" message will get thrown for a variety of reasons, one of which could be the CPU not being stable during training. It's HIGHLY doubtful that anything is up with the CPU, but MSI or Gigabyte will ask you if you've OC'd during the RMA process. This way you can give then a resounding, "broken at stock, broken at 1.35v with stock turbo multiplier".

OK - but you have lost me a bit - are you saying that the stock voltage for the i7  6700k is supposed to be at 1.35v vs the current variable voltage? And that all multipliers should be set at 42 out of the box?  If that is the case then I am a bit concerned...

I have not messed with the CPU other than that auto OC feature in BIOS which never worked, and an MSI Gaming App that boosted it up to 5.4, but only tested it and never actually used the computer at load with that setting on.

How would I be able to tell if the CPU is indeed bad?

30 minutes ago, Low_Battery said:

OK - but you have lost me a bit - are you saying that the stock voltage for the i7  6700k is supposed to be at 1.35v vs the current variable voltage? And that all multipliers should be set at 42 out of the box?  If that is the case then I am a bit concerned...

I have not messed with the CPU other than that auto OC feature in BIOS which never worked, and an MSI Gaming App that boosted it up to 5.4, but only tested it and never actually used the computer at load with that setting on.

How would I be able to tell if the CPU is indeed bad?

No, those settings are not stock. Whatever you boot into the BIOS after a CMOS/default setting reset are the default values. By setting it to 1.35v manually you are eliminating the possibility of the CPU being unstable at stock clocks (4.2).

1 hour ago, runit3 said:

Ref clock you can set to 100. VPP/VREF can be left alone.

Just for the hell of it try swapping the kit to the other bank of DIMM slots, at least that would rule out those particular slots on the board throwing something. Never hurts to remount anyways.

After that set the CPU voltage to Manual, key in 1.35v.

Sync all cores to x42 mult

Try booting.

Ok, so couple things:

1) I set the CPU voltage to 1.35v and the multiplier to 42.  The computer runs fine, and now when I open up the MSI/Intel Extreme Tuning Utility it shows all 4 cores having the same 42 multiplier, and the core frequency running at 4200mhz. When just the first core was set to 42, which was the stock setting and before I ever tried to boost or OC anything, and the core frequency read as 4009ghz.  When I run the built in benchmark test, the CPU temperature varies widely and shoots up to 70c (bouncing around 4 to 8 degrees quickly and averaging around mid to upper 60s)...which seems a bit high to me for such a short test even if it is air cooled (cpu cooler = hyper evo 212).  But I don't have much to base that off of other than comparing it to temps I have read other people get during their overclocks.  Does this sound normal to you?

2) I have an MSI Gaming App, and it has a "Gaming" Setting, and when pressed apparently automatically overclocks the CPU (it didn't say anything about overclocking until showing the CPU core clock speed after pressing).  Now, just starting this application will cause the computer to fully lock up.  Before, it used to be able to run fine for a short duration, and never froze, but I didn't leave it on long because I didn't feel there was a need to spike the CPU over 5ghz (it would show the CPU clock speed bouncing around anywhere up to 5400mhz).

I am running out of time and changing the RAM sticks is going to require me taking the GPU in and out given how close it sits to the locking mechanism, so I will need to try the different slots tomorrow.  

Here is the graph of the CPU stress test showing the temperature jumping around (in green).  Maybe its normal - I don't know...

Increasing the multipliers to 44 only increased the max temperature by 1 degree c

CPU Stress Test.png