Reccomeneded Hard Drive?

IsaacDaGrazin
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,
18 hours ago, IsaacDaGrazin said:

~snip~

Hey there IsaacDaGrazin :)

I'm sorry to hear about the troubles with the drive. It's always frustrating when you deal with problems like this. 

Have you tested your drive to determine what's wrong with it? Maybe try plugging it as a secondary drive in an already working system and run some diagnostic tools and check its S.M.A.R.T. status with the raw values? I'd use the manufacturer's tool and see if the drive passes it at all and if it doesn't - what errors are there. Feel free to post it here if you have trouble reading them. 

Regarding the Western Digital drives, the guys basically gave you pretty good and correct info.

WD Blue is your regular everyday drive that is most commonly used for regular computing, light gaming and workloads and combined with SSD. It is fully capable to run most games as well as many programs for editing or programming. http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=zeacBp

WD Green is your energy-efficient drive that works cool, quiet and saves a lot of power. It is designed for backups and secondary storage. Its features allow it to be a great choice for quiet backup builds or for archiving. It is mostly chosen for massive media storage (up to 6TB) in builds that have another drive for the OS and active programs and games. WD Green is getting integrated into the WD Blue line. http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=xae9bm

WD Black is the performance drive in WD's consumer line. It is the fastest among them and has good features such as a built-in dual-core CPU that makes the drive great for multitasking. It is designed for heavy gaming, big workloads and intensive file usage. It has a llong, 5-year limited warranty and its mostly used in gaming computers or editing machines. http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=KhpHQD

WD Red is the NAS/RAID class drive from the consumer series that is designed specifically for RAID environments and NAS devices. It is tuned and optimized for 24/7 performance, RAID arrays and up to 8-bay NAS systems. This drive is often used for backups, stable secondary storage and in streaming builds, as well as NAS and RAID. http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=P1AbZQ

WD Red Pro is designed with the same purpose as the regular WD Red, only for larger scales (8 to 16 bays). They have fixed 7,200 rpm (while the regular WD Red has Intellipower), longer warranty and some additional features in the firmware, enabling it to perform even better at larger scale RAID arrays. http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=g59F3q

WD Purple is your surveillance-class drive, designed specifically for surveillance storage, video recording and streaming. It has optimized noise reduction (being the most quiet drive in the consumer line with only 22dBA nooise level during seeking time), significantly reduced frame loss nad optimized firmware. This drive is also used often for desktop computers due to its low noise levels. It has optimized sequential read/write speeds but the random read/write speeds are lower than normal and some people experience problems with it in regular desktops. http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=HNVQiZ

WD Purple NV is pretty much the Pro equivalent of the regular WD Purple with the difference that it is designed for NVR systems. Here's more details about it: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=GkT4Hv

WD VelociRaptor is a fast workstation drive, spinning at 10,000 rpm. It has limited capacity of 1TB and is mainly used in workstations for editing and content creation. People start to replace it with SSDs but still a lot of users prefer regular HDDs. http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=fjS6U1

WD Black2 is a dual drive that combines a 120GB SSD with a 1TB HDD in one enclosure in 2.5" form factor. It is designed specifically to improve laptop capacity and performance. It is different from a hybrid SSHD because the SSD part is much bigger (120GB compared to 8GB) and works independently from the HDD (while you cannot control what goes on the SSD part of a SSHD). It is mostly used in laptops with only one drive bay for both speed boost and capacity improvement. It's no longer in production. http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=2wCYE3

WD AV is a drive that is designed specifically for 24/7 streaming and PVR, DVR and IPTV environments. It is an earlier version of the WD Purple and is still used for constant streaming in TVs, media players, etc. http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=2DCo8i

WD Blue SSHD is a hybrid drive that is designed for single-bay systems and can provide a great boost in performance for your most used applications by caching their files on the SSD portion. http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=dcbLpU

In your case I would go for either WD Blue or WD Black, depends on which one fits better your needs and budget. :)

Feel free to ask if you need more info on any of this or if I can help with anything else :)

Thanks @Stefan1024 for mentioning! 

Captain_WD.

My current hdd gets so loud (like a lot of stuttering sounds that are VERY audible) when i try to open a picture

it took me 81 seconds to open team fortress 2

like 5 seconds for my desktop to even load

when I open the file explorer it takes a good few seconds to load and when I open my pictures folder (only 50 mbs :/) it takes all the time in the world to load (like 10-15 seconds) then it loads

steam takes like 20+ seconds to open , what ever i do (i mean like open something, when i save something its okay i guess)

if your curious what ive done with the hdd well lets just say alot of things: installed windows 8.1 (fuck 8.1) used like 500 gbs of games, files, videos, programs,, a shit tonne of json files, atleast 2000 ogg/mp3 files for da mods and alot more the i went fuck taht and reinstalled it because i got ONE virus (lel it was adware from teh FUCKGNI INDIAN SCAMMERS) then i done the exact same thing

went fuck that shiet and got windows 10 (again) fuck taht got a virus reinstalled windows 10 like 15-20 times (literally i mean that many times im not exaggerating)then fucked windows up, got ubuntu 15.10 that went "FUCK YOU IM LEAVING THIS SHIT" and the installer got corrupted (actually i had a pic of it somewhere ill add it when i find my phone xD)

i couldnt run it again then my pc was useless had a black screen couldnt post since i had no os 

i tried to install windows from media creation tool, that didnt work, said my hdd was fucked

so i tried ubuntu 14.04 and that works! using that now

i have currently like  124.2 gbs used (yah :3)

so

It needs to be 2tb (hdd not ssd please i dont know shit about ssds)  and honestly I don’t care about the price, I need to get one soon my hdd is literally about to die

ive checked my hdd health thingy and its 'OK' not healthy doe pic below

hdd1.png.adb6cc978dfabad65b9b491de28df0e

any recommendations?

im gonna be using this hdd for everything :3

if its WD i might need help since i know nuffin' about them with WD Greed WD red WD black WD rainbow? (wtf?) idk what the colours are for

try going for a WD black or if you really want a high proformance HDD then try going for the WD velcoraptor series HDDs 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

3 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

try going for a WD black or if you really want a high proformance HDD then try going for the WD velcoraptor series HDDs 

might have a look at it

and it looks like its not available? wot?

8 minutes ago, IsaacDaGrazin said:

WD Black (for high performance) or Blues.

Blues are quiet as f**k. I can barely hear mine :/ 

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

5 minutes ago, IsaacDaGrazin said:

might have a look at it

and it looks like its not available? wot?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236624&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Hard+Drives-_-N82E16822236624&gclid=CMzht9T07coCFQ6LaQodOd8Ocg&gclsrc=aw.ds

the velcoraptors are only in 1tb size and they spin at 10,000 RPM because they are workstation/server grade drives 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

WD blues are a good budget option

black for best speed, but its also noisy

red for the best reliability, its also almost as fast as a black but quieter/cooler

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

WD blues are a good budget option

black for best speed, but its also noisy

red for the best reliability, its also almost as fast as a black but quieter/cooler

what about the velcoraptor series 

WD Black is a great HDD, good speeds and price per Gb is best.

IF you want faster transfer speeds I would honestly go with an SSD over the Velociraptor, I have nothing against the velociraptor as it is a great drive but it does have a shortened life span due to the higher spin it has. The other down side is the price and electrical demand is higher as well.

SSD > WD Velociraptor.

Red is not recommended as it is a designed for backup/NAS style use in a raid setup atmosphere. Using red you will not see improved performance in a common desktop setup as the firmware is optimized for a raid setup. It is possible that you may see a decreased performance when used in non-raid. As for lifespan Reds have a long lifespan and are rated for 5-10 years (up to 15 but not covered under warranty) of 24/7 use.

Blue is a good everyday use HDD, medium/fast read/write speeds, good long life span.

Green is a good quiet drive for everyday use or temp storage.

Black is a great everyday use, faster read/write speeds, long life span.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Purpose/ - Read this.

edit*

I had to fix what I said under Red I miss typed my explanation - apologies. I did not mean to say decreased life but possible decreased performance.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

what about the velcoraptor series 

those are stupid, dont buy those

i though they had been discontinued years ago

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

snip

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

snip

2 minutes ago, SeanAngelo said:

snip

the black and red series seem my best options

since the black is good for peformance and red is reliable hmm

2 minutes ago, IsaacDaGrazin said:

blues are reliable too :)

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

1 minute ago, IsaacDaGrazin said:

true the black series have the best price to proformance and storage size and the reds have the higher reliablity becasue they are used in NAS servers 

4 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

IF you want faster transfer speeds I would honestly go with an SSD over the Velociraptor, I have nothing against the velociraptor as it is a great drive but it does have a shortened life span due to the higher spin it has. The other down side is the price and electrical demand is higher as well.

SSD > WD Velociraptor.

ive had 2 velcoraptors run in RAID 0 and lol the read and write speeds were blazing fast 

Just now, SeanAngelo said:

blues are reliable too :)

yah :3

but they seem  my current best options :3

blues are reliable and relitively cheap but if OP wants a fast drive then he should go with the WD black. if OP wants a long lasting drive then he should buy the WD Red. and if OP has limited funds and wants a cheap reliable drive then he should get the WD Blue. 

Just now, glitchmaster0001 said:

blues are reliable and relatively cheap but if OP wants a fast drive then he should go with the WD black. if OP wants a long lasting drive then he should buy the WD Red. and if OP has limited funds and wants a cheap reliable drive then he should get the WD Blue. 

6 minutes ago, SeanAngelo said:

snip

6 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

snip

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

snip

10 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

snip

thanks everyone! i appreciate the help

im gonna get a wd black since they have large capacities and are fast

18 hours ago, IsaacDaGrazin said:

~snip~

Hey there IsaacDaGrazin :)

I'm sorry to hear about the troubles with the drive. It's always frustrating when you deal with problems like this. 

Have you tested your drive to determine what's wrong with it? Maybe try plugging it as a secondary drive in an already working system and run some diagnostic tools and check its S.M.A.R.T. status with the raw values? I'd use the manufacturer's tool and see if the drive passes it at all and if it doesn't - what errors are there. Feel free to post it here if you have trouble reading them. 

Regarding the Western Digital drives, the guys basically gave you pretty good and correct info.

WD Blue is your regular everyday drive that is most commonly used for regular computing, light gaming and workloads and combined with SSD. It is fully capable to run most games as well as many programs for editing or programming. http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=zeacBp

WD Green is your energy-efficient drive that works cool, quiet and saves a lot of power. It is designed for backups and secondary storage. Its features allow it to be a great choice for quiet backup builds or for archiving. It is mostly chosen for massive media storage (up to 6TB) in builds that have another drive for the OS and active programs and games. WD Green is getting integrated into the WD Blue line. http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=xae9bm

WD Black is the performance drive in WD's consumer line. It is the fastest among them and has good features such as a built-in dual-core CPU that makes the drive great for multitasking. It is designed for heavy gaming, big workloads and intensive file usage. It has a llong, 5-year limited warranty and its mostly used in gaming computers or editing machines. http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=KhpHQD

WD Red is the NAS/RAID class drive from the consumer series that is designed specifically for RAID environments and NAS devices. It is tuned and optimized for 24/7 performance, RAID arrays and up to 8-bay NAS systems. This drive is often used for backups, stable secondary storage and in streaming builds, as well as NAS and RAID. http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=P1AbZQ

WD Red Pro is designed with the same purpose as the regular WD Red, only for larger scales (8 to 16 bays). They have fixed 7,200 rpm (while the regular WD Red has Intellipower), longer warranty and some additional features in the firmware, enabling it to perform even better at larger scale RAID arrays. http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=g59F3q

WD Purple is your surveillance-class drive, designed specifically for surveillance storage, video recording and streaming. It has optimized noise reduction (being the most quiet drive in the consumer line with only 22dBA nooise level during seeking time), significantly reduced frame loss nad optimized firmware. This drive is also used often for desktop computers due to its low noise levels. It has optimized sequential read/write speeds but the random read/write speeds are lower than normal and some people experience problems with it in regular desktops. http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=HNVQiZ

WD Purple NV is pretty much the Pro equivalent of the regular WD Purple with the difference that it is designed for NVR systems. Here's more details about it: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=GkT4Hv

WD VelociRaptor is a fast workstation drive, spinning at 10,000 rpm. It has limited capacity of 1TB and is mainly used in workstations for editing and content creation. People start to replace it with SSDs but still a lot of users prefer regular HDDs. http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=fjS6U1

WD Black2 is a dual drive that combines a 120GB SSD with a 1TB HDD in one enclosure in 2.5" form factor. It is designed specifically to improve laptop capacity and performance. It is different from a hybrid SSHD because the SSD part is much bigger (120GB compared to 8GB) and works independently from the HDD (while you cannot control what goes on the SSD part of a SSHD). It is mostly used in laptops with only one drive bay for both speed boost and capacity improvement. It's no longer in production. http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=2wCYE3

WD AV is a drive that is designed specifically for 24/7 streaming and PVR, DVR and IPTV environments. It is an earlier version of the WD Purple and is still used for constant streaming in TVs, media players, etc. http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=2DCo8i

WD Blue SSHD is a hybrid drive that is designed for single-bay systems and can provide a great boost in performance for your most used applications by caching their files on the SSD portion. http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=dcbLpU

In your case I would go for either WD Blue or WD Black, depends on which one fits better your needs and budget. :)

Feel free to ask if you need more info on any of this or if I can help with anything else :)

Thanks @Stefan1024 for mentioning! 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

SSD > WD Velociraptor.

Red is not recommended as it is a designed for backup/NAS style use, it is not designed for constant read/write use like in a desktop usage atmosphere. Long term storage only. DO not use in your daily system as the constant use of the drive will shorten the life span of the drive. It is not optimized for this but optimized in a raid setup atmosphere such as a NAS.

Blue is a good everyday use HDD, medium/fast read/write speeds, good long life span.

Green is a good quiet drive for everyday use or temp storage.

Black is a great everyday use, faster read/write speeds, long life span.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Purpose/ - Read this.

I doubt it, that WD Red is bad for desktop use.....

As they are designed for NAS/Home Servers/RAID configs. And for 24/7 use. Why would it cut the lifespan then?

I am about 85% sure, that WD Red is fine for desktops. At least thats what I found in my research to get a redundant NAS for our home.....

(I do not know that much about NAS, going to build it at the end of April)

SilentOcean

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 MB: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, RAM: Corsair XMS3 4x4GB RAM, Storage: Samsung Evo 840 SSD@120GB, Samsung Evo 850 SSD@1TB, Intel 535 SSD@240GB PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10 500W Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Cooling: Cryorig H7, 2xFractal Design GP-14, 1xNoctua NF-A14 FLX OS: Windows 10 Home

5 hours ago, annoyingmoments said:

I doubt it, that WD Red is bad for desktop use.....

As they are designed for NAS/Home Servers/RAID configs. And for 24/7 use. Why would it cut the lifespan then?

I am about 85% sure, that WD Red is fine for desktops. At least thats what I found in my research to get a redundant NAS for our home.....

(I do not know that much about NAS, going to build it at the end of April)

Apologies I wrote that incorrectly ( I will go back and fix my post, my brain must have been somewhere else).

The red is designed for 24/7 use but it is designed and optimized for raid environments. Utilizing the drive in a normal environment such as a desktop would not take advantage of the drives firmware/integrated features. If you watch the video WD did will explain it better.

This also explains it a bit better.

Well, there's a little more to it than "paying for firmware" you're not getting. You're getting a feature that you probably don't want in any single-drive configuration, be it in your computer or in a NAS. The good news is that it's THAT big of a deal, and should be disable-able in software. There are other differences in the drive that are generally positive-- reduced temps and vibration resistance for example. I'd probably just keep using it, but here's the big think to know.

The Red enables TLER, which prevents the drive from hammering on a sector for more than ~7 seconds if it's having trouble reading or writing. All drives, including good ones, will go through a certain number of sectors they have trouble reading/writing over time and will re-map those. A simple re-map is not very time-consuming and while you may be able to perceive a minor hitch or hiccup in performance, that's all it is. If something is really bad, a desktop class drive would hammer on that sector and try desperately to read the data and remap it rather than just giving up. In extreme cases, this can take 30+ seconds to a minute or two. Well, in a RAID set, you want it to give up as soon as possible because you're holding up the drive from doing anything else. In RAID 1, 5 or 6 (or more complicated RAID types) you know that you have the data on another drive somewhere. The goal here would be to take that disk offline and request that a new drive be added to replace the one that's having trouble. That prevents performance and reliability issues for RAID.

In practice, you're probably OK if your drive gives up after 7 seconds. That's enough to fix any normal issue and you're not using it for life-or-death documents or media.

Source: http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1207347

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 12.02.2016 г. at 7:32 PM, annoyingmoments said:

~snip~

On 12.02.2016 г. at 1:32 AM, SansVarnic said:

~snip~

WD Red is not bad for regular Desktop or other usage. It's just simply pointless to get it for this type of usage as any extra features won't be utilized and the drive will work pretty much like a regular WD Green drive (with the exception of the longer warranty on the drive). :) You shouldn't encounter any problems using WD Red as a regular storage drive in desktops, enclosures, etc. :) This is not the case (and probably where the confusion comes from) with Surveillance-class drives (such as WD Purple) which can corrupt data when used in regular desktops. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

5 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

WD Red is not bad for regular Desktop or other usage. It's just simply pointless to get it for this type of usage as any extra features won't be utilized and the drive will work pretty much like a regular WD Green drive (with the exception of the longer warranty on the drive). :) You shouldn't encounter any problems using WD Red as a regular storage drive in desktops, enclosures, etc. :) This is not the case (and probably where the confusion comes from) with Surveillance-class drives (such as WD Purple) which can corrupt data when used in regular desktops. :)

Captain_WD.

Thanks for clearing that up. ;) I don't know why I keep getting that fact mixed up....Shame on me.:|

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

15 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

~snip~

No worries at all. There's a big misconception regarding this and I'm more than happy to clarify this! I hope more people get to check this out and hopefully understand it better. :)

Feel free to ask if there's anything else that I can answer or explain better! 

Captain_WD.

No worries at all. There's a big misconception regarding this and I'm more than happy to clarify this! I hope more people get to check this out and hopefully understand it better. [emoji4]

Feel free to ask if there's anything else that I can answer or explain better! 

Captain_WD.

I guess it is Off-Topic, but HGST was acquired by Western Digital. Do they have still seperated fabs? And why do HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB drives seem to be more reliable than WD Reds? This statement is according to my research, I try to build an redundant Raid 1 or 5 NAS. And I know that the difference is just a small percentage.....but what is the main difference between HGST and WD drives in general, in everyday use and for NAS use? Maybe I will replace my "Door to the water" HDD in my rig for a quiet WD. I got the problem that my current HDD makes some noise you can even hear through my noise dampened case. What could you suggest therefore, to get a reliable and ultra-low-noise HDD? The only other part to be replaced after 2 years, is my GTX 970 by Zotac, as their card is just loud as heck. But thats something I will wait for until the end of the year(Polaris or Pascal).

Thank you in advance.

SilentOcean

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 MB: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, RAM: Corsair XMS3 4x4GB RAM, Storage: Samsung Evo 840 SSD@120GB, Samsung Evo 850 SSD@1TB, Intel 535 SSD@240GB PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10 500W Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Cooling: Cryorig H7, 2xFractal Design GP-14, 1xNoctua NF-A14 FLX OS: Windows 10 Home