Help a Ram noob out!

Hello my fellow peoples!

I am doing a new build for gaming soon, and while I know a good amount about Ram, there's still quite a bit I don't get such as latency and how important it is, and how fast of a speed is enough, too much, etc..

I'm not 100% on a mobo yet, but so far I believe the main parts of my build will include:

- 980 Ti Hybrid

- Maximus VIII Hero

-----------------------

So now..I need to decide on some Ram. The only thing I really know is that I most likely want 32 GB of ram.

At my local store, these were the options I've looked at. Any input, tips or recommendations are greatly appreciated, thank you in advance! These were the 32GB packs available. Though I might be able to get 2 16GB packs, if I'd be better off that way.

- Corsair 32GB 2 x 16GB DDR4-2666 C16 $259.99

Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB Kit 4 x 8GB DDR4-2400 $174.99

Corsair 32GB 4 x 8GB DDR4-2666 (PC4-21300) CL16 $219.99

Crucial Ballistix Elite 4x8GB 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 CL16

These were just some of the options. I also saw some ram that was 2800 and faster up to 3400. Though, like I said above, I'm not quite sure when that "drop-off" of performance increase per price really is. And again any input, tips or recommendations are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

1 minute ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

Hello my fellow peoples!

I am doing a new build for gaming soon, and while I know a good amount about Ram, there's still quite a bit I don't get such as latency and how important it is, and how fast of a speed is enough, too much, etc..

I'm not 100% on a mobo yet, but so far I believe the main parts of my build will include:

- 980 Ti Hybrid

- Maximus VIII Hero

-----------------------

So now..I need to decide on some Ram. The only thing I really know is that I most likely want 32 GB of ram.

At my local store, these were the options I've looked at. Any input, tips or recommendations are greatly appreciated, thank you in advance! These were the 32GB packs available. Though I might be able to get 2 16GB packs, if I'd be better off that way.

These were just some of the options. I also saw some ram that was 2800 and faster up to 3400. Though, like I said above, I'm not quite sure when that "drop-off" of performance increase per price really is. And again any input, tips or recommendations are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

You don't need 32GB of RAM.

Start with 16GB and see if you actually even use that.

Get the maximum frequency supported by both your motherboard and CPU, and with the lowest latency.

Almost as cool as my temps  

you dont need 32GB of ram for gaming

ram does not increase your fps

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I also do a bit of video editing and run some servers occasionally, do you still think I wouldn't need 32GB?

2 minutes ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

Hello my fellow peoples!

- 980 Ti Hybrid

- Maximus VIII Hero

-----------------------

how about give us a budget?

well beat the hell out of it

RAM is RAM. 16GB.. any type. Done

Intel i7 6700K | MSI Krait Z170A MSI GTX 980 w/ NZXT Kraken G10/x31 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD/WD Blue 1TB HDD NZXT H440 | K70 RGB/SteelSeries Rival

Here's the thing, if it fits it works with minimal effects on performance. Unless you're running a RAMDisk it basically doesn't matter. Pick whichever you think looks nice and has a higher frequency.

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

1 minute ago, Josephdalepi said:

how about give us a budget?

well beat the hell out of it

Sure thing, I have a possible build here below, but my maximum budget is probably 4k. Though of course, cheaper is better! (These prices were from my local store Microcenter/Fry's)

CPU: i7-6700k - $389.99

RAM: *Undecided* Corsair DDR4 32GB 3000MHz - $249.99 

Mobo: *Undecided* (Possibly Asus Z170 Hero - $229.99)

PSU: *Undecided* (Possibly EVGA 1200P2 Supernova - $259.99) (May SLI in the future, and will be OC'ing)

CPU Cooler: *Undecided* 

Possible Candidates:

- Corsair H110iGT $109.00

- Kraken X61 $139.99

- Swiftech H240-X $159.99

- EK Predator 360 $250

HDD: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB - $279.99

GPU: EVGA 980TI Hybrid - $680 to $709.99

Case: *Undecided* Possibly Corsair Air 540 or Corsair 760T (Still looking)

Monitor: Main Monitor - Asus PG279Q - $799

Estimated/Rough Total: $3,027

3 minutes ago, verydogesuchwow said:

RAM is RAM. 16GB.. any type. Done

I'd still say faster is better for rendering/editing

3 minutes ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

Sure thing, I have a possible build here below, but my maximum budget is probably 4k. Though of course, cheaper is better! (These prices were from my local store Microcenter/Fry's)

PSU: *Undecided* (Possibly EVGA 1200P2 Supernova - $259.99) (May SLI in the future, and will be OC'ing)

Possible Candidates:

- Kraken X61 $139.99

- EK Predator 360 $250

If your gonna consider spending 250 dollars on a cooler, drop it down to stock 980Ti and get a custom loop going

Just now, Ronnie76 said:

If your gonna consider spending 250 dollars on a cooler, drop it down to stock 980Ti and get a custom loop going

I did consider that, though I honestly don't think I can do a custom loop myself, even though many people say it's easy to build and maintain, I just worry a lot on it. Plus I heard, it also could cost up to $800 or more for a good loop. I mainly just don't want to do one because I don't think I could do it, plus I have no idea how to even do it haha.

2 minutes ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

I did consider that, though I honestly don't think I can do a custom loop myself, even though many people say it's easy to build and maintain, I just worry a lot on it. Plus I heard, it also could cost up to $800 or more for a good loop. I mainly just don't want to do one because I don't think I could do it, plus I have no idea how to even do it haha.

I see, you can put a decent one together, like how I'm doing for $500 (before tax) I do see the fear, I do have that fear myself on putting together a custom loop, If you ever do consider it PM me and I'll share my list w/ you, If silence is what your going for, go with the x61, not sure about the H240x but I would recommend the Predator 360. 

6 minutes ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

Possible Candidates:

- Kraken X61 $139.99

- EK Predator 360 $250

you shitting me?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/34hDBm

add graphics cards to taste

5 minutes ago, Ronnie76 said:

I see, you can put a decent one together, like how I'm doing for $500 (before tax) I do see the fear, I do have that fear myself on putting together a custom loop, If you ever do consider it PM me and I'll share my list w/ you, If silence is what your going for, go with the x61, not sure about the H240x but I would recommend the Predator 360. 

where do i start?

your PSU is gigantic to say the least. Linus used a 1600 Watt to run that 7 gamers one pc thing. how on earth would you ever need a 1200 watt. Get like a 750 or 800 at the very most.

In daily gaming and other media intake you wont use more then 6gb of ram. You said you run some servers? 90% of game servers wont ever need more then 4gb of ram unless you have a modded MC server will like 60 plugins, then maybe like 6gb of ram.

legit you wont ever use more then 16gb of ram unless your video editing, and even then as long as its not 4K 120Hz or something stupid like that i doubt you will ever have a problem.

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

21 minutes ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

I also do a bit of video editing and run some servers occasionally, do you still think I wouldn't need 32GB?

if you actually need the RAM then , then yes , 2 16gb sticks will work fine . But in that case , you're better off getting a 5820k instead. The z170 boards support up to 64gb of ram , x99 up to 128 i believe

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

4 minutes ago, aidenrelkoff said:

where do i start?

your PSU is gigantic to say the least. Linus used a 1600 Watt to run that 7 gamers one pc thing. how on earth would you ever need a 1200 watt. Get like a 750 or 800 at the very most.

In daily gaming and other media intake you wont use more then 6gb of ram. You said you run some servers? 90% of game servers wont ever need more then 4gb of ram unless you have a modded MC server will like 60 plugins, then maybe like 6gb of ram.

legit you wont ever use more then 16gb of ram unless your video editing, and even then as long as its not 4K 120Hz or something stupid like that i doubt you will ever have a problem.

hell, i put the rm1000i in there only cause you can go crazy with it, and its one of the best power supplies in the world

7 minutes ago, Ronnie76 said:

Thanks, I may just want your list just in case! I'll give it some more thought too.

6 minutes ago, Josephdalepi said:

you shitting me?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/34hDBm

add graphics cards to taste

Thanks for putting that together, how does this look though if I went this way and did SLI?

Excluding a monitor of course..

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WYBg23

1 hour ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

Thanks, I may just want your list just in case! I'll give it some more thought too.

Thanks for putting that together, how does this look though if I went this way and did SLI?

Excluding a monitor of course..

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WYBg23

m.2 is way faster, so id say do that still

dont use that, get the rm100i

it is one of the best psus in the world

also, the reason i put in 2 500 gigs instead of a 1tb is because of raid 0

its way faster, and with ssds eliminates a lot of the problem from hdd raid 0

1 hour ago, Josephdalepi said:

m.2 is way faster, so id say do that still

dont use that, get the rm100i

it is one of the best psus in the world

also, the reason i put in 2 500 gigs instead of a 1tb is because of raid 0

its way faster, and with ssds eliminates a lot of the problem from hdd raid 0

Thanks, I'll look into the m.2 and raid 0. I never used a raid or really know anything about it, so I'll research that more too!

12 hours ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

Thanks, I'll look into the m.2 and raid 0. I never used a raid or really know anything about it, so I'll research that more too!

use raid withing windows for something like this

need any help or tips, pm me or quote me here again and ill get back to you within about 12 hours

usually faster, but you may catch me when im on my way to bed, so, ya know