Motorcycle course

Severin

Hi everyone!

I'm going to start my motorcycle course in about 2-3 months (as soon as the snow is gone!) and I would like to have some advice. I know that the course is probably different in others country, but an advice is still an advice!
To give you my situation, I don't have any experience in riding a motorcycle except getting on one in a showroom. But I have experience in driving I got my driver license about 6 years ago.

Thank you in advance!

What country are you in?

If you're in the US, I would highly recommend taking an MSF course. They are a couple of days and include both classroom and riding time.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I live in Quebec, Canada. In Quebec, we are obligated to take a course including classroom and riding.

In Oregon you are now required to take a safety/training class before you get your class m license. When I first started riding the only thing you had to do was take a written exam and then drive through their "obstacle" course, which consisted of cones spaced out that you had to weave through. Then cones set up up in a circular pattern that you had to go in between the cones in a U turn. Then back through the weave to the start point.

Be very observant of the road and vehicles in front of you, and never assume a car that is going to turn in your path sees you. Too many times they don't and will turn right in front of you.

Once you go through your training make sure you ride single on your bike, no passenger, until you're comfortable with how your bike handles. Most of your stopping power is in the front wheel so make sure you are using the front and back brakes when trying to stop. Just don't over do it and lock up your wheels when stopping.

It's always a good day if you woke up breathing.

2 minutes ago, Griffscavern said:

In Oregon you are now required to take a safety/training class before you get your class m license. When I first started riding the only thing you had to do was take a written exam and then drive through their "obstacle" course, which consisted of cones spaced out that you had to weave through. Then cones set up up in a circular pattern that you had to go in between the cones in a U turn. Then back through the weave to the start point.

Be very observant of the road and vehicles in front of you, and never assume a car that is going to turn in your path sees you. Too many times they don't and will turn right in front of you.

Once you go through your training make sure you ride single on your bike, no passenger, until you're comfortable with how your bike handles. Most of your stopping power is in the front wheel so make sure you are using the front and back brakes when trying to stop. Just don't over do it and lock up your wheels when stopping.

Thanks for the tips!

I think when I get the licence and can drive on the road I'm not allowed to carry someone with me for like 2 years( I not 100% sure), but I think it's a very good and safe idea. 

I received my class M license in Massachusetts this past summer. I took the MSF course and it was very informative and helpful. The class (which I'm assuming yours in Canada will be very similar) is designed to teach absolute beginners who have never rode a bike before (like me). One tip that is really important is to always always always look in the direction that you want to go. If you wanna turn left but look straight ahead... you won't turn left and will end up off the road. Good luck!

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700X Motherboard: ASRock X370 Gaming K4 CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 RAM: Crucial 32GB 12400Mhz GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Edition

SSD: PNY 240GB HDD: Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ Case: NZXT S340 Display: Dell P2416D

Camera: Samsung NX1 Audio: Tascam DR-40 Mic: Rode NTG2

Interface: Focusrite 18i20 Monitors: Event 20/20's Mic: Blue Bluebird DAW: Steinberg's Cubase 7.5, Adobe Audition CC

Guitar: MIM Fender Stratocaster Amp: Peavey Classic Chorus 212 Pedals: Dunlop High Gain Volume, Big Muff Germanium Pi, Boss DD-3 Delay, Roland Tuner

I took the MSF course many years ago. Riding a motorcycle is the same as a bicycle except you have a motor. Countersteering and everything is just like a bicycle. Never stare as a fixed point, your eyes will guide where the bike goes.

Thanks Technic77 and Mathematical, great tips!

What is the structure of the MSF course? The one I take is 6 hours of classroom with 26 hours of practice (16 close circuit and 10 on the road).

4 minutes ago, Severin said:

Thanks Technic77 and Mathematical, great tips!

What is the structure of the MSF course? The one I take is 6 hours of classroom with 26 hours of practice (16 close circuit and 10 on the road).

For course, it was a Saturday and a Sunday. On Saturday, it was 8am until 12pm for classroom, 12pm to 1pm to take the written test, and from 1pm to 6pm out riding on a practice course. Sunday was 8am until 5pm out riding on a course and from 5pm until 6pm was the RMV's test. After that, you received your Class M license! There wasn't any riding on the road at all surprisingly.

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700X Motherboard: ASRock X370 Gaming K4 CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 RAM: Crucial 32GB 12400Mhz GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Edition

SSD: PNY 240GB HDD: Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ Case: NZXT S340 Display: Dell P2416D

Interface: Focusrite 18i20 Monitors: Event 20/20's Mic: Blue Bluebird DAW: Steinberg's Cubase 7.5, Adobe Audition CC

Guitar: MIM Fender Stratocaster Amp: Peavey Classic Chorus 212 Pedals: Dunlop High Gain Volume, Big Muff Germanium Pi, Boss DD-3 Delay, Roland Tuner

1 hour ago, Technic77 said:

For course, it was a Saturday and a Sunday. On Saturday, it was 8am until 12pm for classroom, 12pm to 1pm to take the written test, and from 1pm to 6pm out riding on a practice course. Sunday was 8am until 5pm out riding on a course and from 5pm until 6pm was the RMV's test. After that, you received your Class M license! There wasn't any riding on the road at all surprisingly.

Wow pretty easy.

1 hour ago, Severin said:

Wow pretty easy.

Slow maneuvers on a bike are more difficult than riding on the streets. There are many squids riding on the streets that have no idea how to countersteer. It seems all they know how is to go fast in a straight line and hope to god nobody hits them since they wear t shirts and shorts with tennis shoes.

12 hours ago, Mathematical said:

Slow maneuvers on a bike are more difficult than riding on the streets. There are many squids riding on the streets that have no idea how to countersteer. It seems all they know how is to go fast in a straight line and hope to god nobody hits them since they wear t shirts and shorts with tennis shoes.

I agree completely. Like my instructor said: "All the gear, all the time". Slow riding teaches you the fundamentals and is much more difficult than any other riding.

If the Quebec course is anything like the optional safety courses put on here in Ontario I wouldn't be too worried. From what my friends have said they teach you how to do everything like you've never touched a bike before, plus your experience driving means you should hopefully already know the general rules of traffic so there's one less thing to worry about. I've never personally taken any safety courses though, I just go dirt biking with no licence so you can take what I say with a grain of salt I guess.

1 minute ago, Spartancloud said:

If the Quebec course is anything like the optional safety courses put on here in Ontario I wouldn't be too worried. From what my friends have said they teach you how to do everything like you've never touched a bike before, plus your experience driving means you should hopefully already know the general rules of traffic so there's one less thing to worry about. I've never personally taken any safety courses though, I just go dirt biking with no licence so you can take what I say with a grain of salt I guess.

Thank you for the advice. Like you said, my driving experience will help with general rules of traffic! Dirt biking is probably different, but there's probably a lot of similar things.

Do you know how to drive a manual car? 

5 minutes ago, Technic77 said:

Do you know how to drive a manual car? 

Yes I do. Since I got my first car I drive manual.

1 minute ago, Severin said:

Thank you for the advice. Like you said, my driving experience will help with general rules of traffic! Dirt biking is probably different, but there's probably a lot of similar things.

Yeah I mostly go riding in sand/gravel pits so hill climbing and slow technical trail riding, so I imagine it's pretty different. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable on a road but that's from a complete lack of practice, eventually I wouldn't mind getting my licence and trying out riding on the street but my dirt bike isn't street legal. For now I'm happy with the off-road stuff anyway.

2 minutes ago, Severin said:

Yes I do. Since I got my first car I drive manual.

Awesome, that will help since nearly all motorcycles have a sequential manual transmission.

Just now, Technic77 said:

Awesome, that will help since nearly all motorcycles have a sequential manual transmission.

Yeah. I went last weekend to a motorcycle and ATV show and there was a couple Honda with automatic transmission. I was very confused... The Honda guy told me those motorcycle is starting to come in America. (Very popular in Europe).

2 minutes ago, Severin said:

Yeah. I went last weekend to a motorcycle and ATV show and there was a couple Honda with automatic transmission. I was very confused... The Honda guy told me those motorcycle is starting to come in America. (Very popular in Europe).

Yeah, riding an automatic motorcycle can help with the steep learning curve because learning to balance, maneuver, and shift all at the same time can be daunting for someone who has never driven anything with a manual transmission.

5 minutes ago, Technic77 said:

Yeah, riding an automatic motorcycle can help with the steep learning curve because learning to balance, maneuver, and shift all at the same time can be daunting for someone who has never driven anything with a manual transmission.

I've never really thought about that, when I was young I used to drive my grandpa's semi-manual (like the ones without a clutch) four wheeler, so that helped a lot, well that and learning off of roads. Out of curiosity do the automatic motorcycles mostly use CVTs?

Just now, Spartancloud said:

I've never really thought about that, when I was young I used to drive my grandpa's semi-manual (like the ones without a clutch) four wheeler, so that helped a lot, well that and learning off of roads. Out of curiosity do the automatic motorcycles mostly use CVTs?

I'm not really sure actually, I've only ridden manual motorcycles. 

1 minute ago, Technic77 said:

I'm not really sure actually, I've only ridden manual motorcycles. 

Oh ok I've never heard of an automatic one, but that's how the automatic four wheelers I've seen have done it. I personally only like CVTs in snowmobiles (not like there's a choice though), and I get the appeal in a hunting four wheeler or something used for a specific task and less for just for fun, but that's not what I would buy. To each their own though, I'm sure some people enjoy it.

Maybe some of you could give me suggestion for my first bike. I know it's pretty early, but I like to take my time and do a lot of research. For the moment I'm looking for a 300cc bike. I really like the Yamahe R3, CBR300 and Ninja 300. 

But based on your experience you might be able to suggest me other model! I don't have a preference for used or new, I know there's advantage for both.