Apt alternative?

Hello I'm new in here, sorry I can't speak english fluently.

So I want to ask, in command line (Not GUI), is there any program that subtitutes apt? Can I install or uninstall program without using apt?

Because everytime I want to install or uninstall software via command line, I always use apt. I'm using Zorin OS 10, based on Ubuntu 15.04.

Many thanks :D

Synaptic Package Manager is pretty much the GUI for apt. There are software centers you can install such as Gnome Software Center as well.

Lord of Helium.

2 hours ago, Burusutazu said:

Synaptic Package Manager is pretty much the GUI for apt. There are software centers you can install such as Gnome Software Center as well.

Sorry but what I mean is apt alternatives in CLI, not GUI. But thanks for the reply :D

Zorin is based on Ubuntu, which is in turn based on Debian.  Debian's package manager is apt (there's also dpkg, which you'll probably use very rarely), and to my understanding, it's very tightly integrated with the entire system and thus next to impossible to remove or replace.  So if you're using anything derived from Debian, you're pretty much stuck with apt.

But if you switch to another distro family, you'll get a different tool.  Gentoo uses portage and emerge in tandem, which are much loved by its users (and quite similar to FreeBSD's somewhat famous ports system in many regards, which isn't really a package manager in the same sense that apt is).  Arch uses the venerable pacman.  Fedora uses yum.  SliTaz (a cool distro I've been playing with a lot lately) uses a custom manager, tazpkg.  Really, the package manager you get is tied to your distro, and there's not much you can do to change it.  That said, I don't know of any major, glaring flaws in any of them, though they all have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Just now, Azgoth 2 said:

Zorin is based on Ubuntu, which is in turn based on Debian.  Debian's package manager is apt (there's also dpkg, which you'll probably use very rarely), and to my understanding, it's very tightly integrated with the entire system and thus next to impossible to remove or replace.  So if you're using anything derived from Debian, you're pretty much stuck with apt.

But if you switch to another distro family, you'll get a different tool.  Gentoo uses portage and emerge in tandem, which are much loved by its users (and quite similar to FreeBSD's somewhat famous ports system in many regards, which isn't really a package manager in the same sense that apt is).  Arch uses the venerable pacman.  Fedora uses yum.  SliTaz (a cool distro I've been playing with a lot lately) uses a custom manager, tazpkg.  Really, the package manager you get is tied to your distro, and there's not much you can do to change it.  That said, I don't know of any major, glaring flaws in any of them, though they all have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

If your using a debian based distro you use apt. With arch you use pacman and you use yum/ypt on fedora and redhat/centos.

Many thanks guys. This helps me a lot :D

Oh Jeez, nobody even mentioned aptitude. So yeah, there is aptitude, it's kinda built on top of apt but it's better in a few ways. You can't replace a package manager completely without picking a different distro. If you want something more, then wait for Snappy package management that will come with Ubuntu 16.04

6 hours ago, Gachr said:

Oh Jeez, nobody even mentioned aptitude. So yeah, there is aptitude, it's kinda built on top of apt but it's better in a few ways. You can't replace a package manager completely without picking a different distro. If you want something more, then wait for Snappy package management that will come with Ubuntu 16.04

So for example I can't use yum on Debian, am I right?

2 hours ago, Robotic_Puppies said:

So for example I can't use yum on Debian, am I right?

I never even thought about it so I don't know for sure, but no.

15 hours ago, Gachr said:

I never even thought about it so I don't know for sure, but no.

Ah, ok then, thanks for the answer :D

1 hour ago, Robotic_Puppies said:

Ah, ok then, thanks for the answer :D

You can install yum in Debian, if you really want to.

--Neil Hanlon

Operations Engineer

4 hours ago, Neil said:

How to do that?

4 hours ago, Neil said:

How to do that?

It's the sort of thing I wouldn't dare do :P

I've used Ubuntu for years and it always ends up being reinstalled after a while because apt get's something wrong.

However, I would be terrified to try and do a package manager transplant.

2 hours ago, Half-Shot said:

It's the sort of thing I wouldn't dare do :P

I've used Ubuntu for years and it always ends up being reinstalled after a while because apt get's something wrong.

However, I would be terrified to try and do a package manager transplant.

I think I'll do package management "transplant" as an experiment :P Because it seems interesting to me.