Laptop Video Card

Pretzel

Hello all,

I am working on fixing my friends Alienware m14x, which came with a (i think 560m). The graphics card and battery have recently crapped the bed and I would like to know if there is a place to get mobile graphics cards.

Thanks,

Pretzel (Rich)

Ebay.

Current Build: Core i7 4790k @ 4.6, Asus Maximus VII Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz 8gb (2x4gb), GTX 980ti, NZXT Kraken X61, Fractal Define R5  EVGA Supernova B2 850w, Some 300gb hard drive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/W7CNrH

Just now, Dr_Pleeper said:

Ebay.

uhh, ok... there are no retail places? I don't want to install an equally horrible graphics card into my friends computer.

Not really. I'd check and see if his laptop is still under warranty. If not, your best bet is to check around for a gutted laptop of the same model on ebay or something. If neither of those are an option, try calling Alienware and seeing if you can buy a GPU replacement. However, replacing a laptop GPU can be pretty hard depending on the model, and it's unlikely you can even get your hands on one.

Nope, you might want to ask Alienware but because laptop GPU's tend to have some custom board design specific to the manufacturer and model of laptop they are not usually sold in retail shops.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Just now, FoxxyRin said:

Not really. I'd check and see if his laptop is still under warranty. If not, your best bet is to check around for a gutted laptop of the same model on ebay or something. If neither of those are an option, try calling Alienware and seeing if you can buy a GPU replacement. However, replacing a laptop GPU can be pretty hard depending on the model.

I mostly build desktops. I've fixed a few laptops before but theyve all had integrated graphics. His warranty is no more unfortunately.

Just now, Pretzel said:

I mostly build desktops. I've fixed a few laptops before but theyve all had integrated graphics. His warranty is no more unfortunately.

You probably won't be able to fix the laptop for anywhere near a reasonable price. From what I'm seeing on eBay, the GPU is integrated into the motherboard, and I'm not finding any sellers for major parts like that. It might be time for him to bite the bullet and save up for a new laptop/desktop.

If the laptop has a mxm slot (a gpu that is on a dedicated card, rather than soldered onto the motherboard), you can replace it with the same model off places like ebay. The laptop manufacturers down offer the cards sold separately, because they dont want you to be poking around inside the laptop.

Ebay should be fine, just get it off someone with a good rep. The card either works or dosent, and if it does not, you can return it.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

1 hour ago, FoxxyRin said:

You probably won't be able to fix the laptop for anywhere near a reasonable price. From what I'm seeing on eBay, the GPU is integrated into the motherboard, and I'm not finding any sellers for major parts like that. It might be time for him to bite the bullet and save up for a new laptop/desktop.

The m14x, especially the older ones should have a gpu that hooks up via the mxm slot.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd