Cable management - Does it impact cooling performance?

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

13 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Should have went old school and put a bunch of IDE cables in there, that's where the 'myth' or 'exaggeration' started, that actually affected things back then, especially in the days of smaller heatsinks and 80mm fans. Folding aside IDE cables in from did make a bit of difference sometimes. 

That's what I was thinking as well.  I remember spending countless hours with a razor blade separating each individual wire on IDE cables so I could wrap them together into a much thinner aerodynamic package.

I think another issue is that with older cases, air flow was really of no concern.  If there was anywhere to put any fans, it was typically ONE 80mm.  Actually most of my first case mods were simply cutting out holes and mounting case fans because there was nowhere to do it.

The real concern came because hardware didn't just throttle itself or shut down when it got too hot.  It burnt up and died.

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

If you have to get cable clutter, then just ensure that you have 2-3 inches above the motherboard clear so that the passively cooled components get airflow. Actively cooled components are able to handle non-direct airflow very well. What you have to worry about is the VRMs, and chipset.

While you still want a clutter free case (especially since it makes it easier to do regular cleaning), if you have a few cables that you simply can't run behind the motherboard tray, it is not going to be an issue. With many of your previous tests, if you used a thermal imaging camera, you would have noticed the VRM temperatures going up. the most.

well the GPU was throttling under furmark anyhow

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

12 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

@nicklmg Call me paranoid, but I swear I've seen this before on LTT forums.

Also, it's quite obvious LTT is running out of video ideas.

Linus did in NCIX before, but it's been a while.  

3 hours ago, givegomezthegun said:

That's what I was thinking as well.  I remember spending countless hours with a razor blade separating each individual wire on IDE cables so I could wrap them together into a much thinner aerodynamic package.

I think another issue is that with older cases, air flow was really of no concern.  If there was anywhere to put any fans, it was typically ONE 80mm.  Actually most of my first case mods were simply cutting out holes and mounting case fans because there was nowhere to do it.

The real concern came because hardware didn't just throttle itself or shut down when it got too hot.  It burnt up and died.

That's hardcore. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I wonder if i'm the only one that notices Luke not knowing the stress test failing with alot of studdering :D 

And that affected TDP sooo the temps are inaccurate... not that it would change anything, tho.

2 hours ago, iPolymer said:

Does dust effect the temps in cutsom water loop? 

Depends on where the dust is and how bad. If dust is clogging up your Rad then yes. If dust is in the corner of the case then no.

Just honestly depends on how bad the contamination is. 

The Box - Unraid NAS

Case:  LIAN LI PC-A77B PSU: Seasonic X650

CPU: Xeon E3-1230 MB: SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O Memory:Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1600  

HDD Controler: SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 & SUPERMICRO AOC-SAS2LP-MV8

Storage: 5x WD Red 4TB (one set as pairty drive) 5x WD Green 2TB HDD Accessories: 2x SUPERMICRO CSE-M35T-1B 3 x 5.25 (replaced included fan w/ Noctua NF-B9-1600)

Gaming system:

ASUS ROG G750JH Laptop (plan to buy a desktop eventually)

Does dust effect the temps in cutsom water loop? 

ALWAYS place the fan facing air UP NOT DOWN :D 

11 minutes ago, Redicat said:

I wonder if i'm the only one that notices Luke not knowing the stress test failing with alot of studdering :D 

And that affected TDP sooo the temps are inaccurate... not that it would change anything, tho.

it'

s ok for furmark to stutter? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

16 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

it'

s ok for furmark to stutter? 

The GPU graph was studdering aswell dipping from 100 to like almost 0 every 1-4 seconds 

And no Furmark should have 0% stutter for the GPU to be a stable OC or atleast for cards of the Geforce gtx 600 series or above check their Website... just DONT use old cards with Furmark! 

1 hour ago, Redicat said:

The GPU graph was studdering aswell dipping from 100 to like almost 0 every 1-4 seconds 

And no Furmark should have 0% stutter for the GPU to be a stable OC or atleast for cards of the Geforce gtx 600 series or above check their Website... just DONT use old cards with Furmark! 

lol ok, I use OCCT that's why I wasn't sure, and with OCCT whether or not the card get get a high framerate is irrelevant (though I do think my 970 I have t take the cap off?), it will tell you if anything is wrong with the card- bad overclock or hardware problem will produce errors pretty quickly. TBH I didn't watch the whole video, so you're probably saying it was thermal throttling? Or a bad OC? 

muh specs 

All parts black

8 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

lol ok, I use OCCT that's why I wasn't sure, and with OCCT whether or not the card get get a high framerate is irrelevant (though I do think my 970 I have t take the cap off?), it will tell you if anything is wrong with the card. TBH I didn't watch the whole video, so you're probably saying it was thermal throttling? 

No just probably some kind of a weird issue or a non stable overclock or the GPU just needed to be reseted or something is wrong with the drivers ict i can't know because i'm not be able to diagnose what is wrong with this issue.

A capacitor won't kill your GPU at all only shorten lifespan depending on how large the capacitor is and what function it has.

GPUs only use REALLY small capacitors 95% of the time that add up overtime.

So if you have warranty try to fix it if you don't have warranty than don't bother it it will probably live for years to come if you're lucky. :P 

1 minute ago, Redicat said:

No just probably some kind of a weird issue or a non stable overclock or the GPU just needed to be reseted or something is wrong with the drivers ict i can't know because i'm not be able to diagnose what is wrong with this issue.

A capacitor won't kill your GPU at all only shorten lifespan depending on how large the capacitor is and what function it has.

GPUs only use REALLY small capacitors 95% of the time that add up overtime) so if you have warranty try to fix it if you don't have warranty than don't bother it it will probably live for years to come if you're lucky :P 

capacitor? I meant the 60 fps cap on OCCT....:|

I would not dare modify my beautiful reference 970 

I love it with 87.5% of my heart. 

muh specs 

All parts black

3 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

capacitor? I meant the 60 fps cap on OCCT....:|

I would not dare modify my beautiful reference 970 

I love it with 87.5% of my heart. 

Uh lol? i read too quikly man... but we should stay on topic or start PMing eachother instead :D 

What about water cooling?  Does that mean I can make a computer look like this with no effect?

cable.jpg

3 minutes ago, DefinePvP said:

What about water cooling?  Does that mean I can make a computer look like this with no effect?

cable.jpg

Yes but dust build up it will be HARDER to clean dust this way... but i see you use a filter soo... i don't think there will be any issues maybe the cables hitting a GPU fan?

2 hours ago, Redicat said:

Yes but dust build up it will be HARDER to clean dust this way... but i see you use a filter soo... i don't think there will be any issues maybe the cables hitting a GPU fan?

I just Googled "Bad Cable Management" and stole the first photo I saw

4 minutes ago, DefinePvP said:

I just Googled "Bad Cable Management" and stole the first photo I saw

I can store alot of data into my brain but i still can't fit the intire internet in to know this is from Google images... :D 

Just now, Redicat said:

I can store alot of data into my brain but i still can't fit the intire internet in to know this is from Google images... :D 

Dang, maybe you should try harder, nothing is impossible, just do it.

I commented this on the Vessel video and I'm going to repost this here:

Major flaw in all this testing was fan speed. Modern hardware all have target temperatures (nvidia targets 83C) so once it reaches that temperature, clock speed is lowered and fan speed is increased. In order to accurately test this, fan speed must be kept at a constant.

This testing is flawed which impacted the results. This needs to be retested with fixed variables. 

13 hours ago, brandishwar said:

I want to say -- PC Magazine or PC Gamer of computer builders using origami techniques to fold IDE cables out of the way to leave as much open airflow as possible for Pentium III and Pentium 4 processors.

Yes, in the past, IDE cables are managed by using the origami technique. That's how I managed my cables at well. :D

IMO IDE are easier to move out of the way than SATA.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

Yes, in the past, IDE cables are managed by using the origami technique. That's how I managed my cables at well. :D

IMO IDE are easier to move out of the way than SATA.

Some SATA cables are easier than others. The flat cables are difficult to maneuver as they tend to be rather stiff. Some SATA cables I've bought from Micro Center, though, have been pretty easy to manage.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6