Best fan for GPU heatsink?

Octavialicious
Go to solution Solved by Curufinwe_wins,
3 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

ty, any idea where to find low noise adapter info? I went on Noctua's website but it doesn't say the voltage 

LNA's are almost always 7V (relic of molex connectors). So stats listed for 7V are those ones.

Hey all, I'm deciding between two silent fans to put on my GPU heatsink. They are the Noctua NF-P12 and the Nanoxia DS 140mm 1100 RPM. The P12 has higher static pressure, but the Nanoxia has more airflow overall. Which would be better? Please don't recommend any other fans, these were handpicked for good airflow to noise ratios :) Thanks!

NF P12:

Airflow with U.L.N.A. 37.3 CFM
Static Pressure with U.L.N.A. 1.21 mm H²O

DS 1100 RPM:

Airflow (7 V) 52.4 CFM
Static Pressure (7 V) .69 mm H2O

The DS wins in noise by 3 dB, and speaking there is two fans it will be a 6 dB difference. With this in mind, if it will be close please let me now as I would take less noise for SLIGHTLY less performance.

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

you seemed to know a lot about fans last time I talked to you @Deleted User :P 

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Due to the logarithmic nature of sound, it isn't as simple as adding the decibel difference.

2x 30 dB sources will add to 33 dB

2x 33 dB sources will add to 36 dB

You still end up with a 3 dB difference.

1 minute ago, boarder2k7 said:

Due to the logarithmic nature of sound, it isn't as simple as adding the decibel difference.

2x 30 dB sources will add to 33 dB

2x 33 dB sources will add to 36 dB

You still end up with a 3 dB difference.

Fair enough, but any opinion on the performance of either fan?

13 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

Fair enough, but any opinion on the performance of either fan?

The cooler supports dual 140mm fans... Why not use that if you want noise to air ratio? Also the NF-F12 is nearly universally hailed as the best 120mm fan for rads, and the NF-P12 has some pretty poor low speed airflow/pressure (even if the NF-F12 is a little bit louder).

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

The cooler supports dual 140mm fans... Why not use that if you want noise to air ratio? Also the NF-F12 is nearly universally hailed as the best 120mm fan for rads, and the NF-P12 has some pretty poor low speed airflow/pressure (even if the NF-F12 is a little bit louder).

Yea, which is why I'm wondering about the Deep SIlence fans.

I know the F12 is good, but it is way too loud at 18 dB. I already find the P12 to be loud

11 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

Yea, which is why I'm wondering about the Deep SIlence fans.

I know the F12 is good, but it is way too loud at 18 dB. I already find the P12 to be loud

I don't like the low pressure-ness of the Deep Silence. Any Silent Wing variants you've considered? http://www.bequiet.com/en/casefans/260 And that is at full speed.

So uhh, 18 dB is too loud while doing games/folding, cause fan controllers should make it silent when idle?

I think it might be time to start thinking less about quieter fans and more about getting a quieter case ('cause there ain't many cases louder than the air 540) or moving the case to another room. 

Or at least buying some noise dampening foam all over the place.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7124/corsair-carbide-air-540-case-review/5

Look I understand the desire for silence, my pc is about 15 db idle/ 21-25 db load (depending how long it's been under load) but that's with 7 fans, the configuration you have running should be running very silent already, and the cpu coolers you have ought to end up louder than the P12s anyways.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

5 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

So uhh, 18 dB is too loud while doing games/folding, cause fan controllers should make it silent when idle?

I think it might be time to start thinking less about quieter fans and more about getting a quieter case ('cause there ain't many cases louder than the air 540) or moving the case to another room. 

Or at least buying some noise dampening foam all over the place.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7124/corsair-carbide-air-540-case-review/5

Look I understand the desire for silence, my pc is about 15 db idle/ 21-25 db load (depending how long it's been under load) but that's with 7 fans, the configuration you have running should be running very silent already, and the cpu coolers you have ought to end up louder than the P12s anyways.

Yea, I have done a lot of sound dampening though. I'm low on funds and at the same time it's hard to find a case to fit EEB boards.

About the CPU coolers, those 92mm fans are actually the quietest in the system imo, they blew me away :D I also have a fan controller with manual knobs, and all of the case fans are turned way down + they all have ULN adapters too. That's why in comparison I find the P12 so loud :P (had to return them actually, but I might give them another go) 

I've gone through so many noctua's it is hard to believe... I'm in love with the S12A ULN, they are SO quiet and they respond really well to being turned down to low RPM's with a fan controller. The A14 bushed barely any air when turned down

Just now, Octavialicious said:

Yea, I have done a lot of sound dampening though. I'm low on funds and at the same time it's hard to find a case to fit EEB boards.

About the CPU coolers, those 92mm fans are actually the quietest in the system imo, they blew me away :D I also have a fan controller with manual knobs, and all of the case fans are turned way down + they all have ULN adapters too. That's why in comparison I find the P12 so loud :P 

Ok, that doesn't make any sense, but ok.

Anyways. BeQuiet Silent Wings 2 (120 or 140). Top speed noise is similar to the 7V noise of the two you listed, and they have pretty good pressure.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

3 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Ok, that doesn't make any sense, but ok.

Anyways. BeQuiet Silent Wings 2 (120 or 140). Top speed noise is similar to the 7V noise of the two you listed, and they have pretty good pressure.

How so? I'd love to explain all of the fans I've gone through

edit: cant find any silent wings in stock, but pure wings are in stock? I found them for $7 each on a sale

How so? I'd love to explain all of the fans I've gone through

and ty, I'll give them a look

Haha, sounds like you would just have been better off just buying a Define R4, NZXT H440 or BeQuiet Silent Base 800 (all featuring unofficial easy e-atx support).

Those are really hot cpus to be running off of low speed 92mm fans, but at least I assume they are nice solder jobs with a huge die...

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Just now, Curufinwe_wins said:

Haha, sounds like you would just have been better off just buying a Define R4, NZXT H440 or BeQuiet Silent Base 800 (all featuring unofficial easy e-atx support).

Those are really hot cpus to be running off of low speed 92mm fans, but at least I assume they are nice solder jobs with a huge die...

The 5.25 bay would block the board on both the R4 and Base 800, not sure about the H440 though. This isn't standard E-ATX, it's massive :P 

and yeah, but now that I have the beastly S12A's they don't peak 60 C under heavy loads :) Usually they are under 50 though as most things I do barely utilize them 

6 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

The 5.25 bay would block the board on both the R4 and Base 800, not sure about the H440 though. This isn't standard E-ATX, it's massive :P 

and yeah, but now that I have the beastly S12A's they don't peak 60 C under heavy loads :) Usually they are under 50 though as most things I do barely utilize them 

I can't speak for the Base 800, but Tek Syndicate did a video with the same size mobo in the r4... (12x13 is actually the official E-ATX spec btw)

https://teksyndicate.com/videos/build-workstation-pc-our-dual-xeon-build-and-guidelines-help-yours

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

3 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

I can't speak for the Base 800, but Tek Syndicate did a video with the same size mobo in the r4...

https://teksyndicate.com/videos/build-workstation-pc-our-dual-xeon-build-and-guidelines-help-yours

It's bigger than I though, I guess I will have to give it a look :P No idea where I would hide the fan controller, but definitely something I will consider when I get some money. Thanks!

48 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

I can't speak for the Base 800, but Tek Syndicate did a video with the same size mobo in the r4... (12x13 is actually the official E-ATX spec btw)

Just derped, they use fan connectors on the GPU so I can't use the molex thing

Do you know the default voltage? I have some low noise adapters from noctua, how much voltage do they limit? I could put two per fan If I needed to. 

Just derped, they use fan connectors on the GPU so I can't use the molex thing

Do you know the default voltage? I have some low noise adapters from noctua, how much voltage do they limit? I could put two per fan If I needed to. 

12V.

This is the rpm curve for the 140mm variant.

bl063_vol.jpg

And this is the rpm curve for the 120mm variant. (note that in both cases 12V was only 15 dBa)

bl062_vol.jpg

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

12V.

This is the rpm curve for the 140mm variant.

And this is the rpm curve for the 120mm variant. (note that in both cases 12V was only 15 dBa)

ty, any idea where to find low noise adapter info? I went on Noctua's website but it doesn't say the voltage 

3 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

LNA's are almost always 7V (relic of molex connectors). So stats listed for 7V are those ones.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

On 2/8/2016 at 10:39 PM, Curufinwe_wins said:

with LNA's they didnt drop a single degree C so far :/