This configuration

Go to solution Solved by RuecanOnRails,

Yes this setup works perfectly well. Mining or folding does not require much bandwidth the pci 1x slots can provide more than enough.

You may come across issues with the motherboard disabling certain PCI ports if the one above is used it's a hardware limitation, just because a board has 8 pci slots doesn't mean they can all be used at once. Make sure you check the motherboard manual for details to see the total amount of PCI slots that can be used. I believe there is a hard limit of 7 GPU's which can be run on windows through various tweaks and software setups.

When mining or folding, it's best not to use a crossfire/sli cable as each GPU acquires it's own separate work unit. Using a crossfire/sli configuration can slow down the overall speed.

One thing to keep in mind, with your PCI extenders, look into powered ones or you may damage the motherboard with drawing to much power directly from the pci ports.

A build design like that is highly recommended when mining due to the immense heat which can build up in any closed case environment, you also get the ability to separate the gpu's for more air circulation and better cooling.

Would this work for folding? (random Google image) ie. no Crossfire/SLI bridges, stuffing in cards left, right, and center into anything that remotely looks like a PCI slot, etc.

gpufarming__38075_zoom.jpg

GW2: Vettexl.9726

WHAT THE FUCK!?@!

System: Windows 8.1 Pro\Asus ROG Rampage IV Extreme\Intel i7 3930k @3.2ghz (Very Lazy)\Corsair H110\16 GB Corsair Vengance 4x4gb @1600 MHZ\2x Gigabyte 970 G1 Gaming in SLI \2TB Seagate Barracuda, 256 GB Samsung 840 Evo \Corsair Air 540\OCZ ZX1250\Silverstone Red extensions 

Monitors: DP2710 X-Star, Asus PB287Q

WHAT THE FUCK!?@!

dafuq!!!!

i5-4670k 4.5 Ghz 1.25v | Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H | 4x4 Gigs of Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600Mhz | Gigabyte 980 Ti Reference 1503 Core/ 7796 Effective Memory | H100i w/stock fans | EVGA Supernova 1000w G1 | Samsung 840 120Gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM | Corsair Force LX 128Gb SSD | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | DT 990 Pro 250Ohm | Blue Snowball | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G600 | Acer H236HL BID x 3

Would this work for folding? (random Google image) ie. no Crossfire/SLI bridges, stuffing in cards left, right, and center into anything that remotely looks like a PCI slot, etc.

gpufarming__38075_zoom.jpg

Imagine doing this with a motherboard that has 7 PCI-E 16x slots... :o

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Certainly not the responses I was looking for lol.

In other news, I laughed my ass off at this image:

Stepbrothers.+probably+repost+but+oh+wel

Yes it would. Gpu's don't need full bandwidth to fold, even pci-e 1x would be sufficient for each card. Gpu's don't work with one another to fold they each have separate WU's so bridges aren't needed ;)

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Yes it would. Gpu's don't need full bandwidth to fold, even pci-e 1x would be sufficient for each card. Gpu's don't work with one another to fold they each have separate WU's so bridges aren't needed ;)

Yeah it would work, Each gpu folds separately from each other so you can set all 6 up to do their own thing :)

1x would work? Hmm, interesting..... I might have to get a rig like this then :)

1x would work? Hmm, interesting..... I might have to get a rig like this then :)

Get all the Titans that you can get!

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Get all the Titans that you can get!

What would I do with 35 Titans?

THE POSSIBILITIES @.@

No thanks, need to save for life & shiz :)

What would I do with 35 Titans?

THE POSSIBILITIES @.@

No thanks, need to save for life & shiz :)

You can just sell those Titans whenever you need some more money... :)

Yes this setup works perfectly well. Mining or folding does not require much bandwidth the pci 1x slots can provide more than enough.

You may come across issues with the motherboard disabling certain PCI ports if the one above is used it's a hardware limitation, just because a board has 8 pci slots doesn't mean they can all be used at once. Make sure you check the motherboard manual for details to see the total amount of PCI slots that can be used. I believe there is a hard limit of 7 GPU's which can be run on windows through various tweaks and software setups.

When mining or folding, it's best not to use a crossfire/sli cable as each GPU acquires it's own separate work unit. Using a crossfire/sli configuration can slow down the overall speed.

One thing to keep in mind, with your PCI extenders, look into powered ones or you may damage the motherboard with drawing to much power directly from the pci ports.

A build design like that is highly recommended when mining due to the immense heat which can build up in any closed case environment, you also get the ability to separate the gpu's for more air circulation and better cooling.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

I think I'll just mark this solved because of the awesome amount of content in your post. Thanks!

Out of curiosity, is there a big difference between enabling/disabling Crossfire or SLI when it comes to PPD? I currently have Crossfire enabled.

I think I'll just mark this solved because of the awesome amount of content in your post. Thanks!

Out of curiosity, is there a big difference between enabling/disabling Crossfire or SLI when it comes to PPD? I currently have Crossfire enabled.

I can't speak specifically for folding, as I'm a coin miner back when I used to fold AMD cards weren't worth using so I never used them ;). When it comes to mining the lower performance is due to I believe the small amount of display data needing to be mirrored on both cards two 7970's in crossfire only give you 3gb effective memory, not 6gb.. Without using crossfire the cards are fully independent and your display data will remain on only one card.

You likely won't notice any difference with folding. It would also be more of a hassle if you like to game in crossfire as you would be required to power down and swap between crossfire every time you wanted to fold or game. The performance gain from disabling crossfire might not be worth the hassle in terms of gaming.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

First off, Ruecan nailed it - electrical bridges. What some mobo manufacturers do with all the PCIe lanes is a crying shame. I documented this on my GPU folding build guide - I believe it was the MSI g45 board - if you use x1 slot number 4 for instance, it disabled all the other x1 slots. Two hours of trouble shooting why cards wouldn't work in some configs solved by two minutes of reading. I have seen other manuals where using X slot disables Y slot. And also remember, for many boards with more the two x16 slots, you need a third gen intel CPU to enable it.

BUT - not all manufacturers state this either - so, buyer beware. As stated by Ruecan, make sure you also have a proper case, like the one in the pick, so you can get rid of all the heat.

x1 works perfect for Folding, not issues.

Finally - xfire/sli - if this is a gaming rig - don't bother with more then two. If you have to have three or more, don't tie them in, just fold on them. If a folding rig, just leave it off. I have not done any testing myself to see if it makes a difference or not, but it probably does make a very small one. There would alwats be some overhead for running sli/xfire.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99