GradeAUnderA is a Fraud?

afyeung

I really liked this Grade A's channel at first because of his satirical humor and exaggerated accent. Then a little bit less because he started going after specific people on youtube and using derogatory terms when they tried to have a peaceful discussion with him. On Reddit I found his AMA https://www.reddit.com/r/casualiama/comments/3n5btp/i_am_gradeaundera_and_my_channel_began_because_of/ which at first I thought was fake but then confirmed to be real since he linked it on his official Twitter. He claims to have worked at a math department at a British university, but left. In his Racism Test Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5pnDkrCsDQ at the 6:30 mark, he has a formula for adding 2 numbers  with exponents which sounds useful if you want to add 2 big numbers. However, if you've taken at least 1 or 2 years of High School math, you can easily tell it's gobbly goop. It says it works for all real numbers, but if you plug in a negative number or "0" for that matter, you'll either get a complex answer instead of a fraction which is what's expected with negative exponents, or something that doesn't make any sense(try log of 0). This formula is obviously BS, but he claims to have "discovered it" by plugging in random numbers. He's the type of person that makes a living(about 1 million subs) off of roasting people using his "evidence", when he's lying completely about himself which you can tell if you've taken high school math (not a lot of people unfortunately). He doesn't deserve to make money off of insulting other channels/people for "faking" or lying when he's a liar himself. 

56b7a823c965c_ScreenShot2016-02-07at3.0756b7a860ac320_ScreenShot2016-02-07at3.25

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

Whoops. Guess this goes in off topic but it's sort of related to math

I think you're missing the point of his channel. He makes money doing this.

dont care

numbers are hard

he funny tho

still subbed

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

I like the how to become a YouTube prankster video. 

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

Disregarding the formula itself, how he carries himself already shows him to be an arrogant ass; with the scribbles and made up a formula out of his ass and said that since it 'didn't exist' that it must be amazing. Here I thought formulas were supposed to have a use. If it doesn't have a use, how is it any different than plugging random crap in a 3d graphing calculator to see the pretty lines?

Still new, but learning

i7 4790K / GTX 970 G1 Gaming / Maximus VII Hero / Swiftech H240x / Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb, 1600mhz, cl9 / 850 evo 250GB /

WD Blue 1TB / HX850 / Phanteks Enthoo Pro

4 hours ago, afyeung said:

He doesn't deserve to make money off of insulting other channels/people for "faking" or lying when he's a liar himself. 

Yeah okay. Linus also doesn't deserve to be making money off of tech since he breaks shit all of the time.

Also, 1 or 2 years of high school? They didn't teach me anything like this in high school when I went. I'm also 100% sure GradeUnderA went to high school in a time where they didn't teach math of that complex level a whole lot.

Calm your tits, mate.

4 hours ago, drewjn said:

Disregarding the formula itself, how he carries himself with the scribbles and made up a formula out of his ass and said that since it 'didn't exist' that it must be amazing. Here I thought formulas were supposed to have a use. If it doesn't have a use, how is it any different than plugging random crap in a 3d graphing calculator to see the pretty lines?

I bet you're fun to hang around and make jokes with.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

I bet you're fun to hang around and make jokes with.

Who knows, that'd depend on who you ask. Since I don't see people screaming and running for the hills, I think I do quite fine.

Still new, but learning

i7 4790K / GTX 970 G1 Gaming / Maximus VII Hero / Swiftech H240x / Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb, 1600mhz, cl9 / 850 evo 250GB /

4 hours ago, Kloaked said:

Yeah okay. Linus also doesn't deserve to be making money off of tech since he breaks shit all of the time.

Also, 1 or 2 years of high school? They didn't teach me anything like this in high school when I went. I'm also 100% sure GradeUnderA went to high school in a time where they didn't teach math of that complex level a whole lot.

Calm your tits, mate.

In basically every school system in America you are required to take Algebra 2 to graduate and Algebra 1 freshman year. Don't know which country you're from mate, but we're supposed to be fairly behind in terms of education in the developed world. All you need to know to understand the formula is exponents, which is an Alg 1 topic, and Logs, which is an Alg 2 topic. And the point is, he says he was in a Uni level math department which is WAY higher than this crap. Also, his vids are about roasting people for lying. You can't do that and be a liar yourself.

Calm your tits, mate.

Linus DOES deserve to make money off of tech. His tech quickie vids are super informative and easy to understand. He does a lot of shenanigans, be we all watch for the humor and super cooled builds like his 7 gamers *2 CPU build. He claims to be a PC building expert which he IS. Not like GradeA who claims to be a Uni level Math scholar when he probably doesn't know crap. 

3 minutes ago, afyeung said:

In basically every school system in America you are required to take Algebra 2 to graduate and Algebra 1 freshman year. Don't know which country you're from mate, but we're supposed to be fairly behind in terms of education in the developed world. All you need to know to understand the formula is exponents, which is an Alg 1 topic, and Logs, which is an Alg 2 topic. And the point is, he says he was in a Uni level math department which is WAY higher than this crap. Also, his vids are about roasting people for lying. You can't do that and be a liar yourself.

Well, from what you linked here, it isn't really evidence of him being a liar. It just gives me an opinion that he is an arrogant, hypocritical tit who cares more about what fecal matter he smears on a piece of paper than what anyone else writes or says.

But who knows, he may actually be a decent guy and things posted on the net is not the sum of all the parts.

@afyeong calm yourself, kloaked made his comments in jest. Probably to make you consider that people support who they want to support. Don't get too hooked up on it.

Still new, but learning

4 hours ago, ChickenNugget said:

I think you're missing the point of his channel. He makes money doing this.

I know. He's good at doing comedy. But he can't tell lies about being a math scholar when his videos accuse people for lying. 

4 hours ago, Ostwind said:

dont care

numbers are hard

he funny tho

still subbed

You'll learn when you're a bit older

@afyeung You are taking it too much to heart. If you don't like the guy, unsub and move on. Unless he specifically went against you, or someone important to you, I don't see why you should have such a vested interest in him.

Still new, but learning

5 minutes ago, afyeung said:

Like I said, they probably went to school at a time where they didn't teach that level of math. I didn't have to deal with Algebra until my senior year of high school, and that was 7 or 8 years ago.

3 minutes ago, afyeung said:

Linus DOES deserve to make money off of tech. His tech quickie vids are super informative and easy to understand. He does a lot of shenanigans, be we all watch for the humor and super cooled builds like his 7 gamers *2 CPU build. He claims to be a PC building expert which he IS. Not like GradeA who claims to be a Uni level Math scholar when he probably doesn't know crap. 

Are you serious? He claimed to have discovered some equation for something he was doing you knucklehead. He didn't claim to be some uni level math scholar. He's doing this stuff out of humor, not taking himself seriously.

FFS mate

3 minutes ago, drewjn said:

Well, from what you linked here, it isn't really evidence of him being a liar. It just gives me an opinion that he is an arrogant, hypocritical tit who cares more about what fecal matter he smears on a piece of paper than what anyone else writes or says.

But who knows, he may actually be a decent guy and things posted on the net is not the sum of all the parts.

@afyeong calm yourself, kloaked made his comments in jest. Probably to make you consider that people support who they want to support. Don't get too hooked up on it.

Yes. He is great at comedy so I'll actually stay subbed. But he can't slam people with derogatory terms and claim to be all evidence based when he himself is putting fake crap on the internet as well. That's all I'm gonna say. I'm sure he's a great guy to hang around with but definitely not some math scholar who left Uni like he claims to be. 

That formula clearly doesn't work if you use "1" as x too, it's so easy to break it's not even funny...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, afyeung said:

Yes. He is great at comedy so I'll actually stay subbed. But he can't slam people with derogatory terms and claim to be all evidence based when he himself is putting fake crap on the internet as well. That's all I'm gonna say. I'm sure he's a great guy to hang around with but definitely not some math scholar who left Uni like he claims to be. 

Lol. You are taking things way too seriously and out of context.

Look, it's okay to be a math nerd, but you can't sit here and get offended that some guy who makes comedy videos is using some form of math that you don't agree with.

5 minutes ago, drewjn said:

Actually yes there is evidence. Look at the comment where he claims to have discovered the math formula which works for all real numbers. Then look at the formula itself. I get if you haven't learned that stuff yet so it isn't easy to find out. 

Just now, afyeung said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news... but being, or having been in a university doesn't mean that much. That could be anything under the sun. What matter is what you did in uni, what you do in real life, and who you know and contribute with in regards to the work you do.

So I was in Uni, worked on protein purification, laboratory work, does this automatically construe me as the next person to cure cancer? 

Still new, but learning

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

That formula clearly doesn't work if you use "1" as x too, it's so easy to break it's not even funny...

1 minute ago, afyeung said:

Actually yes there is evidence. Look at the comment where he claims to have discovered the math formula which works for all real numbers. Then look at the formula itself. I get if you haven't learned that stuff yet so it isn't easy to find out. 

I'm glad you guys are so good at being detectives of math.

Lol. You are taking things way too seriously and out of context.

Look, it's okay to be a math nerd, but you can't sit here and get offended that some guy who makes comedy videos is using some form of math that you don't agree with.

"math nerd". You must be 12 or something. I'm not offended. I love his vids. And it's not some "form of math". It's a simple concept. 

It's simple dude if you actually know what a logarithm is. Look it up kid. 

2 minutes ago, afyeung said:

To be a liar, you have to know that you indeed lied, and are trying to get away with it.

If he is too stupid to not realize that his formula is bolux, then that makes him an arrogant fool; but not a liar.

Still new, but learning

2 minutes ago, afyeung said:

"math nerd". You must be 12 or something. I'm not offended. I love his vids. And it's not some "form of math". It's a simple concept. 

12? You are a math nerd if you can look at an equation like that and say "Wow if you plug in this number here this equation no longer works". I have no idea what any of that stuff in the equation means anymore, and I don't care to. It's not a simple concept.

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

lol I know I barely passed pre alegbra. I would not know were to start.

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

2 minutes ago, drewjn said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news... but being, or having been in a university doesn't mean that much. That could be anything under the sun. What matter is what you did in uni, what you do in real life, and who you know and contribute with in regards to the work you do.

So I was in Uni, worked on protein purification, laboratory work, does this automatically construe me as the next person to cure cancer? 

No. That's great you did that stuff. I wouldn't expect you to cure cancer at all. University math is way above this. This is simple algebra concepts. The "formula" obviously breaks those simple concepts. Try log of 0. You can't multiply 10 by itself any number of times to get 0.