How do you make a games server?

I am trying to make a server to play games like, Minecraft, Terraria and some other games. I would have two virtual servers, one modded and one vinilla. I have come up with a rig that I think would work. It is an i3-6100, 8GB of DDR4 RAM, micro-ATX H110M-S2H motherboard, 120GB Kingstone SSD, 400W PSU and a micro-ATX cube case. This would work, but it is a bit to expensive at £280 ($406). I have been on ebay as well to get some cheaper stuff. There is cheaper LGA 1150 CPUs and motherboards, but does the RAM make the difference? If not would getting the AMD 6 core FX6350 be any better? Any help is welcome.

For how many players? How is your internet connection? This is the important questions. Say a high performing modded Minecraft servers suck quite a bit of resources.

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

dont go skylake for this, really. the RAM is just to expensive. also the I3 would probably be fine with one server but im not sure about 2 servers, depends on player count and mods. look on ebay if you cant get a cheap older Xeon 6 core or something and a motherboard for it with 8GB of RAM

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

This really isn't equipment you put into a server so I'm going to say this, because I have a bit of experience with virtual environments, I don't believe

"It is an i3-6100, 8GB of DDR4 RAM, micro-ATX H110M-S2H motherboard, 120GB Kingstone SSD, 400W PSU and a micro-ATX cube case. "

is even remotely enough power or hdd space to run virtual environments. I'm the IT guy at work and was asked to test virtual environments for our PCs. I told them it was a bad idea. It took 10+ hours on an i7 with 16 gigs of ram to create one 100gig virtual environment with windows 7. Once it was created it wasn't bad, slower, but not bad.

Does RAM matter? Oh yes. Remember your virtual environments are literally individual copies of windows. So if windows requires 8 gigs to run, you are going to need 8 for your main pc and 8 for each virtual copy you want to run. This is theoretical numbers of course, you could survive on less but you may not like the experience.  I can't answer if AMD or INTEL would make a difference.

You are also talking about two games that are CPU based as well as running a virtual environment which is cpu intensive. So if that is the case why would you be buying a lower CPU ? I really think this is something you should re-think.

Here is an idea. Companies from time to time send out their older servers for either total destruction or to have their hard drives destroyed and the equipment ends up sitting either on a shelf for a long time or rarely they sell the gear or have third parties sell it for them. Why don't you research some of these third party companies or even contact companies that you know will have large numbers of servers and ask if they are selling some of their old gear. If you can get your hands on a decent server for a couple hundred or a thousand bucks you would be farther a head, A lot of the time, the most you may need to do with it is buy hard drives and a copy of windows 2012. From there you could have a very stable piece of equipment that for a company may be useless but for an individual, esp one wanting to play and tinker would be more than enough.

This was on a quick google search

I have a decent internet speed. Currently I am using a power line and my download is at 45MB/s and upload is 14mb/s. When I said virtual server I wasn't correct with the use of it. What I meant is, I want to run a minecraft server from the website and a similar one for modded minecraft. Not remote in to the server ( apart from changing stuff on the console). I would be running up to 10 people max. And I don't want to spend too much on it. £250 ($362) max.