So WTF is bitcoin?

All I know is that you use some CPU and GPU power to mine coins. You can then use those coins for buying things.

My problem is, what backs the coins? What regulates the coins? Why do you have to mine them? Is part of your mining going to something productive? How can bitcoins be worth a few dollars one month, and thousands of dollars the next month? Honestly, that sounds kind of like how a scam works.

I read the Maximum PC article about them, I read the wiki about them, and none of them answers anything as to the question, "WTF is bitcoin?"

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

All you can know about bitcoin

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Main_Page

Bitcoin is an experimental, decentralized digital currency that enables instant payments to anyone, anywhere in the world. Bitcoin uses peer-to-peer technology to operate with no central authority: managing transactions and issuing money are carried out collectively by the network.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

I am so idiot , i still dont get it !

“Strength does not come from winning. your struggles develop your strengths. 

When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength” 

Case: Corsair Obsidian 400R , CPU : Intel Core i7-3770K , Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance , Cpu Cooler : CoolerMaster Seidon 120M , RAM : Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB , Hard Drive : Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB , Monitor : Dell UltraSharp U2312HM , GPU : ASUS GTX 670 DIRECT CU II

I am so idiot , i still dont get it !

For what i understand Bitcoin is virtual money

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

It's basically a virtual untraceable currency which are created through solutions to massive equations. I've never looked into how this currency stays legitimate, but somehow it can't be duplicated.

Basically, it's used for buying illegal goods (silk road), money laundering, and VPNs. I don't really see any other use for them.

Ok, all i get is that its virtual money and use some GPU AND CPU power , or something like that to mine coins..

But can you actualy use them and buy something?

Case: Corsair Obsidian 400R , CPU : Intel Core i7-3770K , Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance , Cpu Cooler : CoolerMaster Seidon 120M , RAM : Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB , Hard Drive : Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB , Monitor : Dell UltraSharp U2312HM , GPU : ASUS GTX 670 DIRECT CU II

It's basically a virtual untraceable currency which are created through solutions to massive equations. I've never looked into how this currency stays legitimate, but somehow it can't be duplicated.

Basically, it's used for buying illegal goods (silk road), money laundering, and VPNs. I don't really see any other use for them.

hmm ty !

So in other words, it is worthless yet worth a bunch of money at the same time.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

Well, every type of currency is basically worthless. The thing about bitcoins is that they aren't based on anything, so they are extremely volatile, and really only worth it if you want to go buy some illegal material on the internet.

Ok, all i get is that its virtual money and use some GPU AND CPU power , or something like that to mine coins..

But can you actualy use them and buy something?

CPUs are too inefficient to mine bitcoins, and since those ASIC GPUs came out, I doubt anyone would want to mine bitcoins on a normal GPU anymore. At this point, it's really not worth it to get into mining; it was only profitable a few years ago, unless you're running a huge operation.

All I know is that you use some CPU and GPU power to mine coins. You can then use those coins for buying things.

My problem is, what backs the coins? What regulates the coins? Why do you have to mine them? Is part of your mining going to something productive? How can bitcoins be worth a few dollars one month, and thousands of dollars the next month? Honestly, that sounds kind of like how a scam works.

I read the Maximum PC article about them, I read the wiki about them, and none of them answers anything as to the question, "WTF is bitcoin?"

First I'd like to refer you to the Bitcoin and cryptocurrency section of the forums. http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/37-foldinghome-boinc-and-coin-mining/ It's located together with the folding and boinc section.

The question of "wtf is bitcoin" no one can answer that except yourself through many hours of reading, learning, and research into it's potential. It's still new enough that the *book* on the subject is still being written and new innovations are thought up each day.

Couple things you should read to help a basic understanding of what it is and why it's changing the world of currency.

http://evoorhees.blogspot.ca/2012/04/bitcoin-libertarian-introduction.html

http://www.coindesk.com/information/

Here's a few common myths and misconceptions.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Myths

Bitcoin is a self regulating, decentralized global currency with little to no fees, able to be sent anywhere at anytime and cannot be locked down, withheld, or seized. It's comparable to the internet in the early 90's, or the introduction of email.

Bitcoins are released into the world at a very steady predictable rate. Right now it's 25 bitcoins every 10 minutes those are given to the miner who solves a block of transactions. Every 4 years that amount cuts in half until the max cap of 21 million is reached.

In order to keep the flow of Bitcoins on the correct release path, every two weeks the difficulty of the algorithm changes to either increase with more miners, or decrease if some leave. Currently the difficulty is jumping up at unbelievable rates due to not only specialized mining hardware, but also the popularity of Bitcoin throughout the world.

The act of mining, while many feel that it's wasted potential, those people often don't understand it's importance. When you are "mining" you are adding to the network security and sustaining the entire infrastructure while keeping it decentralized. Miners gather, verify, and compile every transaction that occurs and checks it against the public ledger to ensure it's a legit transaction (the blockchain). Eliminating the need for any cumbersome third party payment verification. The miners are rewarded Bitcoins when they successfully compile a block of transactions.

Once you've read up and begin to gather a basic understanding of what it is and how it works, please come by the bitcoin section of the forum and ask more indepth specific questions. Broad and vague questions are nearly unanswerable, yet specific details in general can be answered with fair ease. Similar to explaining what the internet is as a whole versus how does a domain work.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

The funny thing is, the vast majority of all money is "virtual". It is all stored in accounts and there is surprisingly little cash/coins.

"Only 8% of all money is in cash"

This means that 92% of all money is virtual and bit coin is just an economy/money maker based solely around digital money

ELEPHANT SEALS EVERYWHERE!

All form of currency is worthless. Money bills are simply paper(or clothy like material) that says numbers on them. They are given value. There's a special name for the money. In this video from Vsauce, you'll find more information about the different types of currency.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

All form of currency is worthless. Money bills are simply paper(or clothy like material) that says numbers on them. They are given value. There's a special name for the money. In this video from Vsauce, you'll find more information about the different types of currency.

watched and learned. Thanks for the link!

As many members already said, Bitcoin is a Crytocurrency.

What backs the coins?  It gets its value from different factors, the physical ones are electrical power and hardware, them comes the especulation, availability and demand, and many other factors that affect the market of Bitcoin.

What regulates the coins? It is not regulated by any government or institution, how fast/slow and how many bitcoins are produce is regulated only by the Bitcoin network itself, nobody can regulated bitcoin, they can only regulate the transactions (maybe).

Why do you have to mine them? In reality all the bitcoins are in the blockchain, and nobody really have any bitcoins, what people really have is a key to access their bitcoin in the blockchain. So you have to mine them to find keys to access the coins in the blockchain...

Is part of your mining going to something productive? Well it depends what you call productive or productive to whom.... because if you get bitcoins i guess its something productive for you. So i think  mining does something productive. 

How can bitcoins be worth a few dollars one month, and thousands of dollars the next month? Well it all starts with speculation, demand, offer and many other things also depends on other crytocurrencies, so its like any other good in a trade it can go high or down.

Basically, it's used for buying illegal goods (silk road), money laundering, and VPNs. So in the end it can do the same things that any other currency (ex. dolar, euro, pesos, etc.) 

Well, every type of currency is basically worthless. The thing about bitcoins is that they aren't based on anything, so they are extremely volatile, and really only worth it if you want to go buy some illegal material on the internet.

CPUs are too inefficient to mine bitcoins, and since those ASIC GPUs came out, I doubt anyone would want to mine bitcoins on a normal GPU anymore. At this point, it's really not worth it to get into mining; it was only profitable a few years ago, unless you're running a huge operation.

can you tell me what is behind the USD apart from the trust of the users? (and apart from a big dept to china)?

also ASIC's are not GPU, ASIC's are processors programmed to do only one thing, in this case "mine Bitcoins"

Looking around,

bla bla bla this, meh that!

Basically, it's used for buying illegal goods (silk road), money laundering, and VPNs. So in the end it can do the same things that any other currency (ex. dolar, euro, pesos, etc.) 

Well, normal currencies can be traced and this one can't, so what good is it really, apart from using it for illegal purposes, other than the novelty of it.

Well, normal currencies can be traced and this one can't, so what good is it really, apart from using it for illegal purposes, other than the novelty of it.

Are you an importer/exporter? LOL

But anyways, it seems like bitcoin might be something of a fad. Do you guys think so?

what is "FAD"??

it kind of means something that is really popular for about a year and then nobody cares about it after that. I'm no expert, but I honestly don't think bitcoins are going to be as big of a deal in a year from now.

it kind of means something that is really popular for about a year and then nobody cares about it after that. I'm no expert, but I honestly don't think bitcoins are going to be as big of a deal in a year from now.

oh ok,,,

I think Bitcoin is not a fad, it was launch in 2008, so its been out there for 5 year already, the coin had some ups and downs but it has found its way up again, at the moment of this opinion its valued at ~120 USD per coin.

Looking around,

bla bla bla this, meh that!

I got a great use for it, I just traded some LTC for BTC, then moved it to coinbase. I then sold it for USD and used it to pay my bills.

You are free, act like it~Warfairy. Moar guns. B) #3Dprinting