How did the GTX 580 get faster over time?

LokiFire

NVIDIA optimizes drivers over time, and cards typically perform better over that course of time, up to a certain threshold. Linus did a video on this, and you can view that here.

idk maybe better drivers for it came out to let it unleash all the power it can.

1010011010/29A

1 minute ago, NonaHexa said:

NVIDIA optimizes drivers over time, and cards typically perform better over that course of time, up to a certain threshold. Linus did a video on this, and you can view that here.

1 minute ago, Mazeman03 said:

idk maybe better drivers for it came out to let it unleash all the power it can.

But a GTX 670 USED to blow the doors of a 580, some how the 580 caught up.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

5 minutes ago, NonaHexa said:

So much for Nvidia's planned obsolesce. :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, LokiFire said:

But a GTX 670 USED to blow the doors of a 580, some how the 580 caught up.

A 670 wasn't actually all that much faster than a 580. A 580 was a very powerful card for what it was.

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

So much for Nvidia's planned obsolesce. :ph34r:

A 670 wasn't actually all that much faster than a 580. A 580 was a very powerful card for what it was.

Was it not? maybe i read too far into those comments back on OCN lol.

I might be wrong, but it could be that Fermi just handles tessellation better than Kepler, if that were the case, as games used more tessellation, Kepler wouldn't be as good as Fermi...

¢υѕтσм ℓσσρ σя ησтнιηg αт αℓℓ

6 minutes ago, LokiFire said:

Was it not? maybe i read too far into those comments back on OCN lol.

It was not :P they were roughly the same speed +- 5%.

Fermi was the first architecture on this now long line of very similar architectures from Nvidia. So when the 4xx and 5xx series came out, it was in its infancy, but over time as Nvidia has released several architectures that are pure derivatives of Fermi, Fermi has had many indirect optimisations on top of their direct ones.

They are horribly VRAM bottlenecked though, which is why a GTX 470 pwns a 560 Ti even though they're virtually the same but with the 470 having 280MB more of VRAM. And also why the difference between a 580 and a 480 is greater than you'd expect based on GPU, because of the extra 256MB of VRAM.

They're ALL VRAM bottlenecked, just so happens some of them are less so than others.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

1 minute ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Fermi was the first architecture on this now long line of very similar architectures from Nvidia. So when the 4xx and 5xx series came out, it was in its infancy, but over time as Nvidia has released several architectures that are pure derivatives of Fermi, Fermi has had many indirect optimisations on top of their direct ones.

They are horribly VRAM bottlenecked though, which is why a GTX 470 pwns a 560 Ti even though they're virtually the same but with the 470 having 280MB more of VRAM. And also why the difference between a 580 and a 480 is greater than you'd expect based on GPU, because of the extra 256MB of VRAM.

They're ALL VRAM bottlenecked, just so happens some of them are less so than others.

480 and 580 share the exact same memory setup.
3GB 580's exist but go for exotic prices normally.

1 minute ago, LokiFire said:

480 and 580 share the exact same memory setup.
3GB 580's exist but go for exotic prices normally.

Ah yes, I confused myself with the 470 which is 1280MB.

The 580 however has extra data rate, due to higher memory clock. About 25%. And that makes a big difference to the biggest bottleneck these cards had. Also most 480s came with awful ELPIDA nand that would barely overclock 5%.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

1 minute ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Ah yes, I confused myself with the 470 which is 1280MB.

The 580 however has extra data rate, due to higher memory clock. About 25%. And that makes a big difference to the biggest bottleneck these cards had. Also most 480s came with awful ELPIDA nand that would barely overclock 5%.

I must say my 580 OC's far further than any other GPU i have ever owned.. came from a HD 7770 (died)

Ahhh this is why the 480 is so far behind, it's not just the shader & Clock bump.. the 580 has more texture units.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-580-review,2.html

ZM38yv8.png

So really a 580 could still win even vs a 480 at it's max OC whilst the 580 remained stock, that's bloody madness.

How did 760 drop a tier when it was close to 670 performance at launch?

perfrel_1920.gif

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |