Helping friend put together budget gaming build. >600 USD

cjbryant77

Hello, 

I needed help finding the most viable CPU and GPU for the price range of 500 to 600 dollars( including monitor and accessories) for a budget gaming build. any help would be greatly appreciated.

here is the link to the part list so far.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R7psqs

4 minutes ago, cjbryant77 said:

Hello, 

I needed help finding the most viable CPU and GPU for the price range of 500 to 600 dollars( including monitor and accessories) for a budget gaming build. any help would be greatly appreciated.

here is the link to the part list so far.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R7psqs

One, sec, let me come up with something (Do you already have that PSU?)

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

Do you have to use a third party cooler? Why not use the stock one?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

3 minutes ago, TheGhzGuy said:

One, sec, let me come up with something (Do you already have that PSU?)

no, that was a mistake, all of the parts would have to be purchased.

Just now, Castdeath97 said:

Do you have to use a cooler?

Well yeah, we don't want the CPU to fry, do we?

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

Just now, TheGhzGuy said:

Well yeah, we don't want the CPU to fry, do we?

Check the edit, the CPU comes with a stock cooler.

Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

Do you have to use a cooler?

I dont, I didn't know whether that processor came with a stock cooler

Just now, cjbryant77 said:

I dont, I didn't know whether that processor came with a stock cooler

Well then, just use the stock cooler to save up and you can save up in the process a bit and get this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($124.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock B150M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($83.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950 2GB Dual WindForce Video Card  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply 
Monitor: Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor  ($109.99 @ Micro Center) 
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  ($24.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $605.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-04 12:28 EST-0500

Pascal laptops guide

For this budget, including a case, Monitor and other things I would focus on creating the best upgrade path rather than getting the best parts you can. Get an overkill CPU and PSU. Get a K processor and a beefy power supply, but like a 750ti or 950 level GPU. 

Even if you build a $600 system that doesn't need a case or Windows OS, you're not going to have a system that you wont just throw away when it becomes upgrade time. 

1 minute ago, cjbryant77 said:

here is a more updated list. what do you all think?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/M2WRQ7

Bad processor choice (get at least a i3 by getting rid of the cooler), bad SSD choice (Kingston replaced the controller of that SSD it's very slow get a BX100/BX200/850 pro).

Pascal laptops guide

Thanks for the help so far guys. Is an SSD really necessary for this price point?

23 hours ago, cjbryant77 said:

Thanks for the help so far guys. Is an SSD really necessary for this price point?

i built my first build without a ssd but if this is a work in progress you could not get it now and get it a month or two down the line .

you could also get a 250gb ssd and just use that for a while and get a hdd down the line.

On 2/4/2016 at 0:32 PM, cjbryant77 said:

No, and I personally wouldn´t recommend it. You could try going used for a couple of parts and grab a 7950/7970 for $100. 

Here is my attempt

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($124.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($49.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($38.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked Video Card  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($36.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($15.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor  ($109.99 @ Micro Center) 
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  ($24.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $598.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-05 13:38 EST-0500

CPU: AMD FX-6100 3.3GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor + Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX ATX AM3+ Motherboard Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive + Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive & Seagate Barracuda 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card Case: Rosewill THOR V2 ATX Full Tower Case + Thermaltake TR2 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter Monitor: Asus VK278Q 27.0" Monitor

Peripherals: Razer DeathStalker Wired Gaming Keyboard + Razer Abyssus Wired Optical Mouse Headphones: Bose SIE2i Orange Earbud Headphones + Mic: Kaxidy Stereo MIC