Not getting the speed i order

DeathTechs

Hello i ordered 250/100 (mbit/s) from a company and i talked with them 5 times now and they all said we're giving you 250/100mbit but your not getting it because you need to plug it in directly to the fiber thingy,

told him ok how do i do that he said, plug it in there and plug the other one in there ( bla bla hard to describe ) then i did but i got 0 internet but now i have 0 clue what to do to get the max speed currently getting (100/100 out of 250/100)

sorry if i wrote it a bit weird but i hope you guys get it

Sounds like your device only has a 100Mb ethernet port, not a gigabit port. You won't get those advertised speeds unless you have compatible equipment that can support the speeds.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.7GHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 | Motherboard: X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB | Case: NCase M1 v6.0 | SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB, 860 Evo 1TB | CPU Cooler: H100i ELITE CAPELLIX | MonitorsLG 27GN950-B 4K 165Hz |

you plugged your PC directly into the line? or did you plug a router first?

does your PC and router have 1000 or 100 connection?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Realtek PCIe GBE family controller i think that supports 250/100mbit 

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

you plugged your PC directly into the line? or did you plug a router first?

does your PC and router have 1000 or 100 connection?

I don't understand about the thing plugged direct to ur pc but i have a fiber converter that gives internet to a box that i got from a company that gives to an ASUS router but i tried to plug the internet cable to the fiber converter but didn't get any internet

It goes like this normally.

CONNECTION TO YOUR HOUSE   /// --Cable from wall--- /// MODEM IN YOUR HOUSE ///--Cable--/// ROUTER (ASUS In your case) ///--Cable--/// PC.

Now, the section from the ROUTER to the PC, The port that the cable from the PC plugs in to must be able to handle the speeds of your internet, otherwise its a bottle neck. Typically on Ethernet ports you either get a 100mbps port, or 1gbps port. This sounds like your bottle neck.

So, What model is your router exactly? It will say on the sticker on the rear. This is the first step we should be looking at.

52 minutes ago, RickL said:

It goes like this normally.

CONNECTION TO YOUR HOUSE   /// --Cable from wall--- /// MODEM IN YOUR HOUSE ///--Cable--/// ROUTER (ASUS In your case) ///--Cable--/// PC.

Now, the section from the ROUTER to the PC, The port that the cable from the PC plugs in to must be able to handle the speeds of your internet, otherwise its a bottle neck. Typically on Ethernet ports you either get a 100mbps port, or 1gbps port. This sounds like your bottle neck.

So, What model is your router exactly? It will say on the sticker on the rear. This is the first step we should be looking at.

it's an 

ASUS RT-N12 D 

If you plug your computer directly in to the converter, the company will likely need to do a DHCP release and you will need to restart the converter and then your computer (or you could just do an ipconfig /renew) after the converter comes back online.

I'm surprised that the "box from the company" wouldn't support 250mbps. What is the model of the "box from the company"? What site are you testing your internet speeds?

Your ASUS Router has the below:

PORTS :  1 x RJ45 for 10/100 BaseT for WAN, 4 x RJ45 for 10/100 BaseT for LAN.

Which means that when you connect via Ethernet Cable, the maximum transfer speed you can get is 100 Mbps.

Next Question: Who supplied the Asus Router? As normally your ISP I guess wouldnt use an Asus Brand router. If it was your ISP then contact them and complain like hell that the router supplied is not fit for purpose since it caps you at 100 mbps. If its YOUR router and you obtained / purchased it, you need to upgrade to a router with 1 Gigabit Ports.

Also worth noting: If you connect via WiFi to the router, you do have the ability to connect up to 300 Mbps depending on your Wifi connection / receiving hardware thus removing your bottle-neck.

Who is your ISP? 

3 hours ago, DeathTechs said:

I don't understand about the thing plugged direct to ur pc but i have a fiber converter that gives internet to a box that i got from a company that gives to an ASUS router but i tried to plug the internet cable to the fiber converter but didn't get any internet

Need more data on this. What box? 

I'll wait for him to confirm but im pretty darn sure he just means the modem.

As @RickL pointed out above, the ASUS router is limited to 100Mbps so until you upgrade that you're whole network is capped at 100Mbps (~11MB/s).

-KuJoe

2 hours ago, RickL said:

I'll wait for him to confirm but im pretty darn sure he just means the modem.

If he has fiber with a ONT, there is no modem.

1 hour ago, Trikein said:

If he has fiber with a ONT, there is no modem.

The ONT is arguably a modem, it modulates and demodulates, but with light. But I guess you know that :)

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

1 hour ago, brwainer said:

The ONT is arguably a modem, it modulates and demodulates, but with light. But I guess you know that :)

"i have a fiber converter that gives internet to a box that i got from a company that gives to an ASUS router"

Fiber converter(ONT/Modem) > Box(?) > Asus router.

You can call ONT a modem if you really want to (but NO ONE in the industry does) but that still doesn't answer my question. The modem can't be the fiber AND the box. I am thinking its maybe battery backup or a switch panel? Thus my question.

46 minutes ago, Trikein said:

"i have a fiber converter that gives internet to a box that i got from a company that gives to an ASUS router"

Fiber converter(ONT/Modem) > Box(?) > Asus router.

You can call ONT a modem if you really want to (but NO ONE in the industry does) but that still doesn't answer my question. The modem can't be the fiber AND the box. I am thinking its maybe battery backup or a switch panel? Thus my question.

hmmm I had misread and thought the box was the same as the asus router. I see now it is different. So for the OP - yes it seems like your router is a bottleneck (I have the same one and can confirm it is 100Mb ports only) but it would also help us help you if you could tell us any information from the box the router is connected to.

And yes I know noone calls it that.... but if someone says fiber modem I know what they mean as well.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

it's a little box that's called Ping that the internet company delivered me for some reason and as i said a fiber converter as you guys call fiber modem, from that it's to my asus router

/// Fiber modem // --- // To the box as i said ealier ( named Ping ) that delivers internet //// to my asus router

1 hour ago, DeathTechs said:

it's a little box that's called Ping that the internet company delivered me for some reason and as i said a fiber converter as you guys call fiber modem, from that it's to my asus router

/// Fiber modem // --- // To the box as i said ealier ( named Ping ) that delivers internet //// to my asus router

The box is called "Ping"? Apparently the company that makes this device doesn't want somebody to be able to Google it. I'm coming up empty. :(

-KuJoe

Yeah i know it's very weird, i took a picture how the setup is done 

20160204_142746.jpg

But i still don't get full speed, the tech guys in the company  don't help me that much called them twice today :/ i think i gotta buy a new router

any recommendations? 

btw can i ask for a free router from the company?

Just plug your router straight into the fiber converter and see what speed you get. See the white Ethernet cable with the red ends? Plug your computer into that.

That will remove any possibility of the "ping" or your Asus router bottlenecking you.

3 hours ago, DeathTechs said:

Yeah i know it's very weird, i took a picture how the setup is done 

20160204_142746.jpg

Look for a model number on the "Ping". There should be one on a sticker. Usually on the bottom. Or can you just take a closer picture of it?

::Edit:: Did some digging, and think I found it. Looks like a NetPhone Adapter 201E by "Ping Communications". 

The device has DHCP and NAT, so shouldn't be left before the Asus unless either the Asus or VOIP(Ping) router has been put in bridge or AP mode.  What I don't understand is how it is wired. It looks like Fiber ONT > ethernet onright goes to VOIP router, ethernet on left got to Asus WAN port. The LAN ports look to be on the right side of the ONT though. What ethernet jack is on left side? Also, where does the gray ethernet go from the VOIP router? Part of it is I can't tell where each ethernet goes.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Just plug your router straight into the fiber converter and see what speed you get. See the white Ethernet cable with the red ends? Plug your computer into that.

That will remove any possibility of the "ping" or your Asus router bottlenecking you.

Tried that but i don't get internet / im swedish aswell btw :)

1 hour ago, Trikein said:

Look for a model number on the "Ping". There should be one on a sticker. Usually on the bottom. Or can you just take a closer picture of it?

::Edit:: Did some digging, and think I found it. Looks like a NetPhone Adapter 201E by "Ping Communications". 

The device has DHCP and NAT, so shouldn't be left before the Asus unless either the Asus or VOIP(Ping) router has been put in bridge or AP mode.  What I don't understand is how it is wired. It looks like Fiber ONT > ethernet onright goes to VOIP router, ethernet on left got to Asus WAN port. The LAN ports look to be on the right side of the ONT though. What ethernet jack is on left side? Also, where does the gray ethernet go from the VOIP router? Part of it is I can't tell where each ethernet goes.

The left one gray ethernet on ping box that's what i suppose you mean, is connected to the wall that gives internet to the house