Singtel to offer 10Gbps residential fibre service (Singapore News)

dragoon20005
10 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

we don't even have 5 ISPs... :(

nit discounting what our government has done, but our country is rather small...roughly 3.5x the size of Washington D.C

1 minute ago, Ex14 said:

nit discounting what our government has done, but our country is rather small...roughly 3.5x the size of Washington D.C

Then why do you have so many ISPs you can be like "only 5 are offering fiber" and we don't even have 5 to pick from? :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Then why do you have so many ISPs you can be like "only 5 are offering fiber" and we don't even have 5 to pick from? :D

to foster competition. The 3 main companies (SingTel, Starhub, M1) get really complacent. Because the market is so small, and all 3 are profitable, they end up sitting on their asses (like our mobile plans) until someone new comes along (which is what is going o happen soon in our mobile networks, hence all the companies acting)

5 minutes ago, Ex14 said:

to foster competition. The 3 main companies (SingTel, Starhub, M1) get really complacent. Because the market is so small, and all 3 are profitable, they end up sitting on their asses (like our mobile plans) until someone new comes along (which is what is going o happen soon in our mobile networks, hence all the companies acting)

sounds like we need the same thing ...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I saw Singapore, I came in.

That being said, I might get the opportunity to give the Singtel  10gbps a try
Will definitely drop a report here.

honestly speaking, there's really no need for that 10gbps service for residents except maybe a select few. i use gigabit fiber and i find it difficult to constantly saturate my network. unless you have a home with like 5 users constantly streaming 4k stuff on netflix and what not then probably this is for those people. I doubt there are that many people who can truly make use of that bandwidth
majority of the public uses wifi so yeah its already not very useful there. on top of that the way housing is laid out wifi is pretty shit if you stay in HDB.

upgrading all the hardware to make use of that speed? laptops, desktops, 10gb switches etc. man just thinking about it is off putting.

they should spend more time improving traffic routing, customer service and on top of that, better reliability. customer service across all the telcos are abominable. 

everything about this just screams numbers race, who is the one to have the highest speed. meh.

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

And here I am barely saturating my 100Mbps from Starhub

Geek and Subie Fan

33 minutes ago, bbqsauce said:

honestly speaking, there's really no need for that 10gbps service for residents except maybe a select few. i use gigabit fiber and i find it difficult to constantly saturate my network. unless you have a home with like 5 users constantly streaming 4k stuff on netflix and what not then probably this is for those people. I doubt there are that many people who can truly make use of that bandwidth
majority of the public uses wifi so yeah its already not very useful there. on top of that the way housing is laid out wifi is pretty shit if you stay in HDB.

upgrading all the hardware to make use of that speed? laptops, desktops, 10gb switches etc. man just thinking about it is off putting.

they should spend more time improving traffic routing, customer service and on top of that, better reliability. customer service across all the telcos are abominable. 

everything about this just screams numbers race, who is the one to have the highest speed. meh.

I don't mind the race at all.

At the end of the day if there was no competition and a race,  we wouldn't have affordable 1Gbps access.
Tell people around the world you can get 1Gbps access for 22usd and they would not believe you.

I envision a future where 1Gbps becomes entry level access for everyone. With the introduction of 10Gbps plans from Singtel and Superinternet,  we have taken a step closer to reaching that.

At 189SGD/130USD it is still very much an enthusiast product and priced as such when compared to other plans in SG.

I am personally on  VQ's 2Gbps plan and don't see the need for 10Gbps as most servers are bottlenecked by their 1Gbit connection, but the 2gbps allows me to max out the US 1Gbit server(approx 123Mb/s) while 1Gbps used to restrict me at approximately 60Mb/s.

13 minutes ago, sylarspock said:

At the end of the day if there was no competition and a race,  we wouldn't have affordable 1Gbps access.
Tell people around the world you can get 1Gbps access for 22usd and they would not believe you.

I envision a future where 1Gbps becomes entry level access for everyone. With the introduction of 10Gbps plans from Singtel and Superinternet,  we have taken a step closer to reaching that.

At 189SGD/130USD it is still very much an enthusiast product and priced as such when compared to other plans in SG.

I am personally on  VQ's 2Gbps plan and don't see the need for 10Gbps as most servers are bottlenecked by their 1Gbit connection, but the 2gbps allows me to max out the US 1Gbit server(approx 123Mb/s) while 1Gbps used to restrict me at approximately 60Mb/s.

like me and another member has posted its nothing all but a numbers race that only looks good on marketing material. So what if 1Gbps is commonplace? The actual performance of the world wide web is closer to what other countries experience (maybe just a slight bump) like i mentioned Youtube buffers at times even on a 500mbps plan. Gaming wise my performance over to a japan based server has dropped from a very nice constant 80ish ping to now 100-130ms complete with dropped packets. If this increase in speed brought about better performance or heck just better equipment to us or even their back end to all its services then yes i wouldnt mind the race. But in reality thia is just a marketing stunt, with no real world benefit outside of anything hosted locally.

20 minutes ago, sylarspock said:

I envision a future where 1Gbps becomes entry level access for everyone and with the introduction of 10Gbps plans from Singtel and Superinternet,  we have taken a step closer to reaching that.

I am personally on  VQ's 2Gbps and don't see the need for 10Gbps as most servers are bottlenecked by their 1Gbit connection, but the  2gbps allows me to max out my connection to a US Gbit server  while 1Gbps would restrict me at approximately 60Mb/s

just to clarify i have nothing against competition, but frankly there is so much more they should be doing instead of aiming for higher speeds. gigabit is pretty widespread today in SG. the current pricing is affordable and its only a matter of time when more and more are switching over from broadband as their contracts end.

Stuff like ensuring they provide the advertised speed 24/7 and not throttle speeds during peak hours. Starhub themselves have a disclaimer in their contract that as long as you receive above 60% of your contract speed everything is fine and dandy. like what.
Don't get me started on the amount of times their service goes down and how long it takes to restore connection.
Above all, their customer service, oh boy. I can go on for days on that. 

Having reached gigabit connection as mainstream imo is all we need for the next few years. You can pretty much get gigabit from any telco at around $50 a month which is pretty affordable given our standard of living. until 4k becomes even more mainstream then maybe we might move forward towards higher speeds.

As of now its easy to tell that most consumer stuff only caps out at gigabit speeds and anything above is really bleeding edge. I understand having this plan for business and what not. But pushing this as the "after gigabit" thing is kinda not the point, at least not right now.

I'm not saying that this isn't useful, i just mean from the perspective of the regular consumer they won't even come close to needing it. Why not push prices down instead of bringing out higher speeds. 

I imagine this was the response to the 2Gbps plan, telcos be like we need the top spot. bring out 10gbps.
Soon M1 and starhub will follow suit. 

So it goes back to my point of, there are so many areas in our telco's service that needs fixing and imo they should focus on that first.

If, by some miracle, Starhub is able to fix their customer service, ensure reliable service and at the same time provide the advertised speeds. In my eyes they will become the top ISP. Isn't this in itself competition? Since other ISPs will definitely try to follow suit. 

In the end this is just my own opinion. 

- A disgruntled Starhub residential and business customer

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

8 minutes ago, Ex14 said:

like me and another member has posted its nothing all but a numbers race that only looks good on marketing material. So what if 1Gbps is commonplace? The actual performance of the world wide web is closer to what other countries experience (maybe just a slight bump) like i mentioned Youtube buffers at times even on a 500mbps plan. Gaming wise my performance over to a japan based server has dropped from a very nice constant 80ish ping to now 100-130ms complete with dropped packets. If this increase in speed brought about better performance or heck just better equipment to us or even their back end to all its services then yes i wouldnt mind the race. But in reality thia is just a marketing stunt, with no real world benefit outside of anything hosted locally.

What ISP are you on?

I used to be on Singtel 500mbps and yes WAN show/Twitch was unwatchable for me. Latency to my US game server was horrible.
I whole heartedly, agree with you that we don't need 500mbps to watch Youtube or Twitch and we shouldn't have such issues.

I got fed up with that and switched to VQ and I haven't had any speed issues since.(barring the network downtime they faced)
From Twitch 720p being an issue, I could watch WAN Show in Source.

In this, we as consumers have to vote with our wallet on the Quality of Service that they provide.
This would come down to each ISP's Peering agreements and capacity that they provision for their customers.

And that's where competition comes in and the ISPs will react to how we vote.
Unfortunately, most people are tied to their Multi Line discounts and don't like the hassle involved  with switching ISPs.

Wow, 10Gbps internet. While I certainly don't need that much, I can see this being useful for companies.

5 minutes ago, bbqsauce said:

just to clarify i have nothing against competition, but frankly there is so much more they should be doing instead of aiming for higher speeds. gigabit is pretty widespread today in SG. the current pricing is affordable and its only a matter of time when more and more are switching over from broadband as their contracts end.

Stuff like ensuring they provide the advertised speed 24/7 and not throttle speeds during peak hours. Starhub themselves have a disclaimer in their contract that as long as you receive above 60% of your contract speed everything is fine and dandy. like what.
Don't get me started on the amount of times their service goes down and how long it takes to restore connection.
Above all, their customer service, oh boy. I can go on for days on that. 

Having reached gigabit connection as mainstream imo is all we need for the next few years. You can pretty much get gigabit from any telco at around $50 a month which is pretty affordable given our standard of living. until 4k becomes even more mainstream then maybe we might move forward towards higher speeds.

As of now its easy to tell that most consumer stuff only caps out at gigabit speeds and anything above is really bleeding edge. I understand having this plan for business and what not. But pushing this as the "after gigabit" thing is kinda not the point, at least not right now.

I'm not saying that this isn't useful, i just mean from the perspective of the regular consumer they won't even come close to needing it. Why not push prices down instead of bringing out higher speeds. 

I imagine this was the response to the 2Gbps plan, telcos be like we need the top spot. bring out 10gbps.
Soon M1 and starhub will follow suit. 

So it goes back to my point of, there are so many areas in our telco's service that needs fixing and imo they should focus on that first.

If, by some miracle, Starhub is able to fix their customer service, ensure reliable service and at the same time provide the advertised speeds. In my eyes they will become the top ISP. Isn't this in itself competition? Since other ISPs will definitely try to follow suit. 

In the end this is just my own opinion. 

- A disgruntled Starhub residential and business customer

Haha, agreed. Starhub imo is and was the absolute worse. 

I had about 8 Months of Cable contract remaining with constant disconnections.
After 3 months of waiting for customer service to rectify it between daily calls, I gave up and subscribed to Singtel  200mbps then.

Paid for 2 internet subscriptions for over 6 months.

Hope on over to MR OR  VQ if you get the chance. I  don't really see Starhub improving.

3 minutes ago, sylarspock said:

In this, we as consumers have to vote with our wallet on the Quality of Service that they provide.
This would come down to each ISP's Peering agreements and capacity that they provision for their customers.

its hard to vote when we are simply picking from the lesser of two evils. lol

Horror stories of ISPs are abundant and i think that's what creates that barrier to jumping ship from a specific ISP.
I've thought of switching and then you hear about horror stories about others. I'm like "ehh maybe i should just stick with what i have, I don't want to end up with an even worse connection with a 2 year contract to boot"

2 minutes ago, sylarspock said:

Haha, agreed. Starhub imo is and was the absolute worse. 

I had about 8 Months of Cable contract remaining with constant disconnections.
After 3 months of waiting for customer service to rectify it between daily calls, I gave up and subscribed to Singtel  200mbps then.

Paid for 2 internet subscriptions for over 6 months.

Hope on over to MR OR  VQ if you get the chance. I  don't really see Starhub improving.

Starhub once sent my mobile sim card to the wrong address (this address was my old billing address over 2 years ago at the point in time)

I called their customer service and was like "Your bills can find their way to me every month but you cannot even send me a sim card properly. the hell"

Note: I had to chase for this sim card for 9 months because they forgot about it after my contract was signed. Like what. 

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/feature-getting-10gbps-broadband-plan-4-other-investments-you-need-make-first

According to the sources here

you need to have fast SSD and PCI-E based

i7 Core CPU and butt tons of RAM

on top of the PCI-E 3.0 x4 10GBe LAN cards and supported mobos

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

that's cool and yet even though I don't even have 100Mbps I have already lost the desire for higher data rates. It doesn't matter anymore to me I am happy with the data rates I have and I can do everything I need to and more.

what matters now is data caps and latency for me.

15 hours ago, dragoon20005 said:

Super overkill!

I am using 1Gbps but unless the *ahem* file servers are located locally

No way you can use all 10Gbps.

and you need to have 10Gbps LAN cards which are super expensive then normal 1Gbps LAN cards

Not so sure about that. You forget concurrent users are a thing. Imagine several full hd/4k tv's streaming, while people download games and so on. The point of this would be to not bottleneck, rather than filling out the bandwidth.

As such you don't need 10gbit cards, but rather 10 computers/tv's whatever, with 1gbit connections.

That being said, this sounds amazing. I don't understand why the US government hasn't destroyed American ISP's yet.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

17 hours ago, sylarspock said:

What ISP are you on?

I used to be on Singtel 500mbps and yes WAN show/Twitch was unwatchable for me. Latency to my US game server was horrible.
I whole heartedly, agree with you that we don't need 500mbps to watch Youtube or Twitch and we shouldn't have such issues.

I got fed up with that and switched to VQ and I haven't had any speed issues since.(barring the network downtime they faced)
From Twitch 720p being an issue, I could watch WAN Show in Source.

And that's where competition comes in and the ISPs will react to how we vote.
Unfortunately, most people are tied to their Multi Line discounts and don't like the hassle involved  with switching ISPs.

I'm on Singtel, and due to reasons you mentioned previously (soccer being another big reason) I can;t switch out to another service provider Even though I know they provide BETTER service (i'm looking at you VQ)

I stuck with Singtel after my horrible stories with Starhub (Suckhub) because my internet was down for days and they took their own sweet time to restore my cable internet.

Also it was because of the sport channel and the discounts for phone bills

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Meanwhile in Indonesia, Netflix got blocked :|

It will be a long time before we (Indonesian) got our hands on 1 Gbps internet speed.

One day, I will find myself! MY TRUE SELF!!!

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 6:46 PM, dragoon20005 said:

cheap is one thing

the hardware needed to support that crazy speeds is nuts thou

and most of the servers i *ahem* from are from US or Europe

Yah the hardware is expensive, but the hardware is a 1 time buy.

On 2/4/2016 at 8:38 PM, bbqsauce said:

its hard to vote when we are simply picking from the lesser of two evils. lol

Horror stories of ISPs are abundant and i think that's what creates that barrier to jumping ship from a specific ISP.
I've thought of switching and then you hear about horror stories about others. I'm like "ehh maybe i should just stick with what i have, I don't want to end up with an even worse connection with a 2 year contract to boot"

If you can take a leap of faith into any other ISp other than Red or Green.

I had annual recontract on my main line and close to  25% discount on my mobile lines.
I gave it all up for better internet and I haven't looked back since. :)