Second build (Stay ATX or go smaller [either mATX or mITX])

Nicktendo

So I plan on building a second system due to the current system I have now being ~5 years old. My current system is an AMD system, but I would like to switch over to Intel even though AMD will be coming out with the Zen architecture CPU very soon just because I have seen more variety with Intel CPUs/Motherboard than I have for AMD.

Also, is it worth to build a system "semi-portable" if say if you wanted to have your system be at your place most of the time but also take it with you if you plan on doing some video editing and/or game playing elsewhere?

I don't know about you; but If you're going into college like I am It'd be nice to have a smaller computer with one powerful gpu that I know will fit any dorm room I'll be shoved in. It's nervous looking around at college's with a Full tower and not being sure If I'm gonna have to lay my computer flat or what I'll do if it's too big

Shipping sucks

Really the only downside to the smaller components are the lack of SLI support and potential heating/cooling issues. You can slap the best i7 CPU you can find into an mATX build with a 980ti and get great performance. But cooling is going to be an issue of course. 

But if you're not super overclocking and you have a good ambient temp, there's no reason to not build the smallest system you can! 

Something along the lines of this would be pretty cool for an ITX build,

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($174.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($36.97 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($72.99 @ NCIX US)
Case Fan: Fractal Design GP14-WT 68.4 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($11.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $701.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-03 16:36 EST-0500

The cpu varies depending on what your uses are. if you're not looking for something as powerful an i3-4170 would be a good one.

ram is also subjective, if you feel like you want more you could go with a 16gb kit.

storage is also subjective, but if you're looking for something casual that can still game 250gb should be decent. you could get a hdd if wanted.

video card is a pretty strong, fair one.

The case is beautiful and small enough to make carrying to places easier. it has a 200mm fan at front to pull air in, and with a 140mm fan at back as exhaust it should create good airflow to keep your components cool.

psu is an average seasonic one. Seasonic being often suggested by others here

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

10 minutes ago, GSTARR said:

I don't know about you; but If you're going into college like I am It'd be nice to have a smaller computer with one powerful gpu that I know will fit any dorm room I'll be shoved in. It's nervous looking around at college's with a Full tower and not being sure If I'm gonna have to lay my computer flat or what I'll do if it's too big

10 minutes ago, DaltonM said:

Really the only downside to the smaller components are the lack of SLI support and potential heating/cooling issues. You can slap the best i7 CPU you can find into an mATX build with a 980ti and get great performance. But cooling is going to be an issue of course. 

But if you're not super overclocking and you have a good ambient temp, there's no reason to not build the smallest system you can! 

I will be moving over some components from my current system like my SSD (250GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO), my Hybrid HDD (2TB Seagate SSHD), a EVGA GeForce GTX 950, and also my Corsair H110iGT (I kept the box, manuals, and the intel mounting bracket).

I was planning on going for a Core i5/i7 build, but also deciding whether to go with a Haswell cpu or Skylake (unfortunately I recently bought new DDR3 RAM for my current system and would rather not have to buy new RAM again unless I go for Skylake, in which most motherboards in the current market accept DDR4 [though I have seen a few skylake motherboards that are compatible with DDR3]).