Building a new PC.

23 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£199.96 @ More Computers) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 13 36.4 CFM CPU Cooler  (£21.78 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£116.16 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: OCZ Trion 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£52.98 @ Ebuyer) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£71.99 @ Novatech) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WATERFORCE Video Card  (£465.64 @ More Computers) 
Case: NZXT H230 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£57.18 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£78.90 @ Dabs) 
Total: £1064.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-03 21:42 GMT+0000

Why would you purchase a Z170 board and a 6500K...Change it to an i5 6500 non k

"As Individuals we are weak like twigs but when we come together we become a mighty faggot"

1 minute ago, Marziman said:

Why would you purchase a Z170 board and a 6500K...Change it to an i5 6500 non k

humm, dude it's a 6600k, and why would i change it, that board is fully capable of overclocking that K series scew !!

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

4 hours ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

humm, dude it's a 6600k, and why would i change it, that board is fully capable of overclocking that K series scew !!

I know but it's a waste of money!  Think of it this way, why would I pay 200$ for a pair of headphones that has a musicians branding on it, when I could buy a pair that sounds EXACTLY THE SAME for 100$ just without the musicians branding.

If you get a  z170 board it's a waste of money to get a K sku Sky lake.  You can OC a k sku skylake on a z170 but you can OC non k sku skylake cpu's on them too!  That's because with a z170 you can OC them via the BCLK which is independent from the PCI-E slot.   That's why you should change it.  

"As Individuals we are weak like twigs but when we come together we become a mighty faggot"

7 hours ago, Marziman said:

Best post on LTT Forums...ever

Get an R9 390 or GTX 980 non Ti because that X isn't worth it

The PSU is okay but it's an RMx so not amazing, try a Cooler Master Gold pro 800w instead

Windows 10 sucks, get 7 or 8.1 if you can but it should be stable enough if the install is fresh

You don't need a 4790k on a z97, get a Z170 board and an i5 6500 skylake CPU because you can OC non K sku SKYLAKE CPU's with Z170 boards via the BCLK.

The case is fine

Storage is okay, I'd go with a 120 GB SSD for games and 1TB to 2TB HDD's for regular storage

He/she already had DDR3 RAM purchased, so the logical thing would be to go with Z97..

Since you said you have already purchased 8GB DDR3 ram, it makes sense to stick with Haswell-E and get the i7 4790K! If you want to do some overclocking in the future, you can buy a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO for just under £30. It's still a great platform to run. I still have a gaming rig that's on Ivy Bridge running a i7 3770K with a GTX 680 and I still feel no need to upgrade that rig. Only thing I may suggest is to go with a Corsair AX series power supply. As they are regarded as one of the best rated PSU's on the market and their 7 year manufacturer warranty backs that up! And the red would match your build! As for people telling you not to go with Windows 10, I would ignore that. I personally love Windows 7 the best, but I upgraded anyways and I love it! Good luck with your build, Cheers!

• Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Mid Tower case - Black
  • CPU: Intel Quad Core i7 4790k
  • Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
  • GPU: MSI R9 390X 8GB
  • Power Supply: ***Corsair AX760i 760W 80+ Platinum*** 
  • SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

4 hours ago, Marziman said:

I know but it's a waste of money!  Think of it this way, why would I pay 200$ for a pair of headphones that has a musicians branding on it, when I could buy a pair that sounds EXACTLY THE SAME for 100$ just without the musicians branding.

If you get a  z170 board it's a waste of money to get a K sku Sky lake.  You can OC a k sku skylake on a z170 but you can OC non k sku skylake cpu's on them too!  That's because with a z170 you can OC them via the BCLK which is independent from the PCI-E slot.   That's why you should change it.  

Dude, i know that, but still, just because supermicro and others came up with a costume Bios and a Clock generator doesn't mean Overclocking locked CPUs is as good and as safe as that of K series, think of it this way, if that was the case wouldn't you think intel would of just thrown away the whole Locked and Unlocked concept out of the window and just sell the Skylake chips as one category ? no because K series are more optimized for overclocking and that's why if it's a valid choice and you wish to OC, you should go that root 

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

10 hours ago, TrinityHigh said:
7 hours ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

Dude, i know that, but still, just because supermicro and others came up with a costume Bios and a Clock generator doesn't mean Overclocking locked CPUs is as good and as safe as that of K series, think of it this way, if that was the case wouldn't you think intel would of just thrown away the whole Locked and Unlocked concept out of the window and just sell the Skylake chips as one category ? no because K series are more optimized for overclocking and that's why if it's a valid choice and you wish to OC, you should go that root 

"Dude" don't assume that because one is "Unlocked" that it is better for Overclocking than a "Locked" one.  Also, Intel is going to keep the "Whole locked and unlocked" concept because, not everyone can afford these boards, yet it's still cheaper than buying the K version and a different board.  Also you're so, wrong with the "Optimization" bit.  Non k OC'ing is perfectly stable and actually gets high over clocks.  This is achieved because on Z170's the CPU's are independent from the actual PCI-E(or PCI I've forgotten) each with their own 100 MHz base so through the BCLK you're able to get high, stable overclocks.  Then, the board you suggested isn't even compatible with her RAM!  It only supports DDR4 rather than DDR3, read the whole post next time.

18 hours ago, Marziman said:

Best post on LTT Forums...ever

Get an R9 390 or GTX 980 non Ti because that X isn't worth it

The PSU is okay but it's an RMx so not amazing, try a Cooler Master Gold pro 800w instead

Windows 10 sucks, get 7 or 8.1 if you can but it should be stable enough if the install is fresh

You don't need a 4790k on a z97, get a Z170 board and an i5 6500 skylake CPU because you can OC non K sku SKYLAKE CPU's with Z170 boards via the BCLK.

The case is fine

Storage is okay, I'd go with a 120 GB SSD for games and 1TB to 2TB HDD's for regular storage

What's BCLK and how do you overclock it is it as good as 6600k

35 minutes ago, kakhat said:

What's BCLK and how do you overclock it is it as good as 6600k

BCLK simply means(Unless I'm wrong) "Base clock"  now me, not owning one, can't tell you the exact steps to OC'ing one but last I checked either ASUS has a guide or an ASUS fan made a guide, I forget.  BCLK was tied to the PCI(or PCI-E slot I forget) in Haswell, Sandy, Ivy etc.  Though because neither were independent, for safety measures on the PCI slot(once again correct me if I'm wrong)  they both had a 100 Mhz BCLK and the CPU only had a 42 multiplier.  100 * 42 = 4200 MHz or 4.2 GHz this could be considered an OC but Intel calls it "Turboing."  Though I think since the reference clock or something is at 100 MHz you can push the BCLK as much as you want without the worry of damaging other components. I believe you just keep changing the multiplier where you'd usually find the turbo(once again I don't own one so I can't tell you exactly how)

EDIT: Found the link, it's on ASUS here you go

http://overclocking.guide/asus-z170-non-k-overclocking-guide/

Edited by Marziman

the overclocked 6600 non K version wont have as much performance as the overclocked 6600k. it is because the base clock of the 6600k is already better than the 6600.So yeah. thats it. + her majesty wont be using skylake. 

CPU i7-6700k Motherboard MSI Z170A GAMING M5 RAM KINGSTON HYPERX FURY 2X4GB GPU ZOTAC GEFORCE GTX970 AMP! EXTREME CORE EDITION Case COUGAR ATX Storage WESTERN DIGITAL BLUE 1TB PSU CORSAIR RM650X Display(s) AOC G2460PQU 24" Cooling COOLER MASTER HYPER 103 CPU COOLER Keyboard CORSAIR STRAFE RGB Mouse CORSAIR M65 RGB Sound MICROLAB FC360/RAZER KRAKEN 7.1 CHROMA/AUDIO TECHNICA M50X Operating System WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE

One has actually had a bit of a rethink. Quietly, one has been reading all your comments and making a few amendments to my proposed build. It seems to me, I can do Skylake within my price range, and the RAM one has previously bought (It was a few months ago now) can be sold off when I pawn my old PC.

Here is the amended list as of now;

• CPU: Intel Core i5 6500 OR Intel Core i5 6600K
  • CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
  • GPU: Sapphire R9 390
  • Motherboard: Asus Z170-A
  • RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR4
  • Power Supply: Corsair AX860i - Platinum
  • SSD: Samsung 850 250gb
  • Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX - Grey