Building a new PC.

Dear loyal subjects,

One has around 1,220 pounds sterling to build a new PC, however one would like to check with those skilled in the knowledge of PC building if this list of components is acceptable. One would also like to hear any suggestions in terms of price to performance.

The components are as follows;

• Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Mid Tower case - Black
  • CPU: Intel Quad Core i7 4790k
  • Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
  • GPU: MSI R9 390X 8GB
  • Power Supply: Corsair RMx 750watt, GOLD, Fully modular
  • SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

One already has adequate peripherals, and we have previously bought Corsair Pro Vengeance 2x8GB DDR3 RAM so RAM isn't necessary in this purchase.

Thank you kindly for your time and help.

Your majesty,

The parts that you chose are good and should last another 100 or so years.

Sincerely

Djole

/s

No but seriously, you have chosen good parts.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

7 minutes ago, Queen Elizabeth II said:

Dear loyal subjects,

One has around 1,220 pounds sterling to build a new PC, however one would like to check with those skilled in the knowledge of PC building if this list of components is acceptable. One would also like to hear any suggestions in terms of price to performance.

The components are as follows;

• Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Mid Tower case - Black
  • CPU: Intel Quad Core i7 4790k
  • Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
  • GPU: MSI R9 390X 8GB
  • Power Supply: Corsair RMx 750watt, GOLD, Fully modular
  • SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

One already has adequate peripherals, and we have previously bought Corsair Pro Vengeance 2x8GB DDR3 RAM so RAM isn't necessary in this purchase.

Thank you kindly for your time and help.

Best post on LTT Forums...ever

Get an R9 390 or GTX 980 non Ti because that X isn't worth it

The PSU is okay but it's an RMx so not amazing, try a Cooler Master Gold pro 800w instead

Windows 10 sucks, get 7 or 8.1 if you can but it should be stable enough if the install is fresh

You don't need a 4790k on a z97, get a Z170 board and an i5 6500 skylake CPU because you can OC non K sku SKYLAKE CPU's with Z170 boards via the BCLK.

The case is fine

Storage is okay, I'd go with a 120 GB SSD for games and 1TB to 2TB HDD's for regular storage

"As Individuals we are weak like twigs but when we come together we become a mighty faggot"

Sincere question: What's wrong with the RMx? All the reviews I read about it were pretty much raves.

1 minute ago, Marziman said:

Best post on LTT Forums...ever

Get an R9 390 or GTX 980 non Ti because that X isn't worth it

The PSU is okay but it's an RMx so not amazing, try a Cooler Master Gold pro 800w instead

Windows 10 sucks, get 7 or 8.1 if you can but it should be stable enough if the install is fresh

You don't need a 4790k on a z97, get a Z170 board and an i5 6500 skylake CPU because you can OC non K sku SKYLAKE CPU's with Z170 boards via the BCLK.

The case is fine

Storage is okay, I'd go with a 120 GB for games and 1TB to 2TB for regular storage

980 is the one that isn't worth it

it should be 390 or Fury, then 980ti

win10 sucks? why are you saying shit like that? if you don't like it it doesn't mean noone likes it

i love it, and many others do

i see no reason why it sucks, it's super fast, nice UI, and it is stable

1 minute ago, tataklee said:

Sincere question: What's wrong with the RMx? All the reviews I read about it were pretty much raves.

One is also interested in this.

Just now, tataklee said:

Corsairs PSU's are beginning to decrease in quality.  Look at the Builder series and CX series for example.  I am not a fan of Corsair PSU's.

"As Individuals we are weak like twigs but when we come together we become a mighty faggot"

Just now, Queen Elizabeth II said:

I have answered, your majesty.

2 minutes ago, Arwanell said:

980 is the one that isn't worth it

it should be 390 or Fury, then 980ti

win10 sucks? why are you saying shit like that? if you don't like it it doesn't mean noone likes it

i love it, and many others do

i see no reason why it sucks, it's super fast, nice UI, and it is stable

Read the outpour of hate for MSX, it also has absolutely pitiful audio compatibility.  No, the Fury can't beat the 980 non Ti, it's on par with it.  The 390 is worth it, and if they have the budget they can jump to the 980.  Also, why are you swearing in front of thine majesty?  How dare thee spew soiled hate into the virgin ears of our majesty!  Also, the number of people who like MSX shrinks each day.

4 minutes ago, Marziman said:

Corsairs PSU's are beginning to decrease in quality.  Look at the Builder series and CX series for example.  I am not a fan of Corsair PSU's.

again, wtf? Corsair goes all the way from total shit PSU's to the best ones

yes, CX is shit

but RMx is a very solid unit!

4 minutes ago, Queen Elizabeth II said:

6 minutes ago, tataklee said:

1 minute ago, Arwanell said:

yes, CX is shit

Calm thy self,  I didn't say it was bad.  Don't jump the gun my lord, read and absorb rather than skim and spew.  I've had poor interactions with customer service and PSU replacements in the past.  I simply don't trust them with my PSU's but I own a few peripherals from them so I like the brand overall.

1 minute ago, Arwanell said:

yes, CX is shit

VS is even worse than CX

Also, why are you swearing in front of thine majesty?  How dare thee spew soiled hate into the virgin ears of our majesty!

You believe this vulgarity is bad? You are not married to Philip!

Just now, Nathat23 said:

VS is even worse than CX

Amen to that.

3 minutes ago, Marziman said:

Read the outpour of hate for MSX, it also has absolutely pitiful audio compatibility.  No, the Fury can't beat the 980 non Ti, it's on par with it.  The 390 is worth it, and if they have the budget they can jump to the 980.  Also, why are you swearing in front of thine majesty?  How dare thee spew soiled hate into the virgin ears of our majesty!  Also, the number of people who like MSX shrinks each day.

you started to swear :)

Calm thy self,  I didn't say it was bad.  Don't jump the gun my lord, read and absorb rather than skim and spew.

it's just that you said Corsair is dropping in quality and then you put a freakin CX as an example lol

Just now, Queen Elizabeth II said:

You believe this vulgarity is bad? You are not married to Philip!

Oh my!  I heard not of the severity!  Shame on me, as I bite my tongue so as to hold it from more filth that come hither! 

Your majesty, what are you going to be using the computer for?

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

2 minutes ago, Arwanell said:

you started to swear :)

it's just that you said Corsair is dropping in quality and then you put a freakin CX as an example lol

I swear not in such trivial times as this! In my own, humble, opinion Corsair is not my PSU preference due to past interactions with them(about 3-4 months ago).  Their return/customer care quality used to be far superior to what it is currently.

Just now, Djole123 said:

Specifically one would like to play videogames on it. I am greatly anticipating blowing those dirty peasants out of the cosmos on Star Citizen when that game arrives. But in the meantime I'd like to run any AAA game at 1440p at 60fps. Less or more depending on the game, etc.

3 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

Then an R9 390 is all you'll need at this point and if you want, you can go GTX and take advantage of the G Syncery that is, G Sync.

1 minute ago, Queen Elizabeth II said:

Specifically one would like to play videogames on it. I am greatly anticipating blowing those dirty peasants out of the cosmos on Star Citizen when that game arrives. But in the meantime I'd like to run any AAA game at 1440p at 60fps. Less or more depending on the game, etc.

your highness, then i suggest you go with i5, and put the rest of the money onto thy GPU

4 minutes ago, Marziman said:

go GTX and take advantage of the G Syncery that is, G Sync.

One was originally intending to go with a GTX 970, but after some research one heard about the 3.5gb+0.5gb scandal and decided to look elsewhere. Any suggestions on decent GTX cards above the 970?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£199.96 @ More Computers) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 13 36.4 CFM CPU Cooler  (£21.78 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£116.16 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: OCZ Trion 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£52.98 @ Ebuyer) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£71.99 @ Novatech) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WATERFORCE Video Card  (£465.64 @ More Computers) 
Case: NZXT H230 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£57.18 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£78.90 @ Dabs) 
Total: £1064.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-03 21:42 GMT+0000

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

25 minutes ago, Queen Elizabeth II said:

One was originally intending to go with a GTX 970, but after some research one heard about the 3.5gb+0.5gb scandal and decided to look elsewhere. Any suggestions on decent GTX cards above the 970?

Your majesty, I suggest the R9 390 as an AMD competitor or GTX 980/980Ti