cx500 with a 4790k & R9 390?

BouncingHitman

I love to play games for hours, non-stop.

Will my current CX500 support the CPU and GPU upgrade to a 4790k and a R9 390?

It'll be temporary until I upgrade to a 750 watt PSU

"Ignorance is the curse of God; knowledge is the wing wherewith we fly to heaven."

Send private message ~ banjoball.com ~ Clan ENT ~ USEast

3 minutes ago, BouncingHitman said:

it will but its cutting it.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

7 minutes ago, BouncingHitman said:

Wattage is fine but get a new PSU pronto. A 390 is too hot for a CX series.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

14 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Wattage is fine but get a new PSU pronto. A 390 is too hot for a CX series.

Alright, that's good to know. You mentioned the 390 is too hot for a CX series, meaning what exactly? Do I need better cooling? When buying a new PSU, what should I be aiming for?

Edit: I read your thread on the CX-series, it contains nice info.

"Ignorance is the curse of God; knowledge is the wing wherewith we fly to heaven."

Send private message ~ banjoball.com ~ Clan ENT ~ USEast

In all honesty, you would have been better off with a Fractal Design Edison 450. Yeah, I know. But the catch is that all but 6 of its watts are crammed into the 12V rail. At the very least it would be more efficient.

The CX500 won't like the 390 and the 4790K, so I would do it only as a temporary measure until you get a good, solid, 80+ Gold power supply from EVGA or Seasonic.

11 minutes ago, BouncingHitman said:

Alright, that's good to know. You mentioned the 390 is too hot for a CX series, meaning what exactly? Do I need better cooling? When buying a new PSU, what should I be aiming for?

The CX restarts itself when it gets too hot. Your GPU is placed right next to your PSU, thus it gives off too much heat. The CX has an ambient temperature tolerance of 30C (bad) and is thus the reason why you don't want a hot GPU next to it all the time.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

i got a 620 i have a 4690k and an r9 390, it handles it perfectly well, im getting a 750 because i can but a 620 to 650 will be all you would ever need ever.

also ya the r9 390 does draw a good amount of power so do get a bigger psu. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-rm650

i would get this one if i was you...

dont skimp out on a psu and get a cheap one the psu is the most important that you get a good quality one 

Edited by MACGYVR

You'll be fine with the cx500 until you upgrade it. Even a fairly decently overclocked 4790k and R9 390 will pull in the neighborhood of 350-400 watts depending on the rest of your system draw. Remember as well, this is only while the system is at full load. I'd go ahead and grab a new psu but worry more about quality than getting something more powerful unless you have plans to upgrade to run crossfire in the future. I'd grab the evga 550 or 650 g2 I believe both are super flower oem. It's hard to beat the price if you're in the states.

Current gaming build: Link to PcPartPicker