Where to start with building a NAS

Afranqui

Hey guys, 

I have decided to take the leap into building a home NAS, but I have no idea where to begin. Im not too worried about price this is only going to be around 8TB. Its more the simple things, do I need a raid card, what OS should I use, and how to even get it connected to my network to stream/store backups. I have been doing reading on the internet but nothing seems to help very much. If anyone also knows a good website that has a good build log/guide that would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys. 

Can you give us an idea of what you current setup is? Also what kind of files you plan to store/ who will need access to them. 

I don't really have a fully laid out system for the NAS. I know that I am going ITX probably a couple wd drives. This will only be a NAS I don't plan on using anything else on this computer. As far as accessing it goes I want anyone who is on my home network to be able to access it. As far as file storage goes I would like to put all of my media on it so its not on my personal rig. 

So one simple way to do this, build the new computer with the hard drives and whatever, but have a separate small SSD as the boot device, make it as small as you can find to reduce cost since you wont have any programs installed. Then set up the drives youre getting in the RAID config you want. This is done through BIOS, so you dont need a RAID controller. Finally youll need to have the computer connected to your home modem/router/switch so that it can be accessed by anyone else on the home network. Windows has fairly decent home networking built into it which I use personally for small files like word documents between my laptop and desktop, since you can directly save from one PC to the other's "Library" folders and the desktop. 

However, buying a windows license just for that is overkill, so you should get a linux OS. Dont ask me which one, i have no idea, someone else can expand on that part. 

What this means though is that if you want people to access this whenever they want it will always need to be switched on. 

| MOBO MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | CPU i7-4790K @ 4.7GHz | RAM G.Skill 16GB 2133MHz | SSD Kingston 240GB / HDD Seagate 3TB | GPU MSI Gaming GTX 970 |

| Cooling CM Nepton 240M | Display Philips BDM4065UC 40in 4K | Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry Blue | Mouse Logitech G502 | Case Fractal Design Core 2500 |

PSU Rankings

For us to pick you something out, we need to know your budget, and prefrence of brand, so we can pick you something you like.

My native language is C++

Well, fundamentally, building a NAS isn't much different from building a regular computer. It's less a question of "What do you need?", more a question of "How much money are you willing to spend on feature <x>?"

You don't need RAID (hardware or software), you don't need ECC RAM, you don't need to have a strong CPU, you don't need to have lots of RAM, you don't need to have an additional backup on another machine or an external drive etc. (although I'd say not having a backup is a horrible idea, at least of your important data :D ).

BUT: Each of those offers an advantage under certain conditions. RAID is nice to increase uptime since you don't lose access to your data upon drive failure (without RAID, you'd need to restore from backup before you could access your stuff again).  ECC RAM is strongly recommended if you go with ZFS (be that FreeNAS or with ZFS on Linux), a strong CPU is nice if you want to run transcoding (Plex and similar), more RAM is nice if you run virtual machines or ZFS (and for ZFS there's also a higher minimum RAM recommendation). And of course, having a backup somewhere else will prevent you from going suicidal if the NAS goes *poof* and you lose your family photos. And so on and so forth.

None of those is strictly speaking needed. So before you can decide what to buy, you'll need to figure out which feature is how important to you, how much money you're willing and/or able to spend on it, then go from there.

As for NAS operating systems, there's a few choices: FreeNAS is popular, but it carries some non-trivial hardware requirements (or at least strong recommendations). Openmediavault is more frugal in that area, as a counterexample. Amahi would also be a possibility. Installing Linux or BSD and just setting up file shares would also be a way to go.

Either way, the basic process is the same as assembling a regular machine: Assess your needs, figure out budget, select components based on the given constraints, order, assemble, install, or something thereabouts.

Edited by alpenwasser

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I guess my biggest point of confusion is just the software that I am going to use. There just seems to be so many different ways to access your NAS. Is one easier to work with for a first timer than another? I am not worried about the budget factor, I won't be needing stuff that is very expensive. I'm planning on an i3, some ram, about 8TB of storage, a small boot SSD, whatever decent PSU that Newegg has a promo on, and a case that has some room for expansion but is small. 

FreeNAS or NAS4Free are ... free. Very good, but requires some tinkering and learning.

Unraid is another option, but is paid.

Windows Server is another paid option, but probably the least flexible. <- Probably not the right word for it, but Windows Server is not appropriate for use as a home NAS OS, IMHO.

Various flavors of Linux based server OS.

FreeNAS is probably the "easiest". It may be daunting, but there is lots of information out there. It doesn't require too beefy of a processor, but does require lots of RAM. I would say 16GBs is the minimum. For 8TB, you would need 6 2TB drives (can withstand 2 drive failures) or 3 4TB drives (can withstand 1 drive failure). You can also add an extra drive for a "hot spare". Basically, if the drive pool has a drive failure, it immediately switches to the hot spare and begins a rebuild.

Hardware considerations for FreeNAS:

Again, lots of RAM. The more the better. ECC is recommended, but not required. ECC is not just recommended for FreeNAS. It is recommended for all server usage.

Do not use RAID with FreeNAS! It uses ZFS which is basically software RAID, but better.

You want an efficient power supply and a processor that is sufficient for your needs, but not too powerful. NAS systems are usually on 24/7 and needs to be power efficient.

You do not need an SSD. You can use one for cache and logging (speeds up read and writes), but is not needed for home use. Plus a cache or log drive failure takes out the entire pool.

FreeNAS is run off of a USB drive. So, buy two of the same USB drive and the second one will be used for boot drive redundancy.

based on what Beavo said, I'd go with FreeNAS, I've helped another person here to build his family NAS, but it all depends on budget and usage ? do you plan to use it as a media sharing device, or you want to place files in it and be available all over the LAN ?

10 hours ago, Afranqui said:

do I need a raid card

You can get a lot of the functionality out of your motherboard's chipset, and a RAID card is another point of worry in your system -- will the motherboard even support it? That's a pretty common issue. It's really good for performance.

what OS should I use

How easy do you want it to be to maintain? How much customizability do you want?

If all you need is a single network share for all your storage, then definitely go with the Linux route if you're familiar with the command line  -- Ubuntu will be just fine, and there are tutorials for setting up your server for backups and for Plex installations. It'll be cheap, with the exception of the storage, and CPU if you do tons of streaming. Maintenance is pretty easy.

If you want more customizability, like the ability to map storage directly as a disk device in Windows/Linux (iSCSI), I'd go with FreeNAS because it's built to do really cool things with storage and has a pretty GUI to do it through -- though it comes with tradeoffs, notably the aforementioned hardware recommendations, and a very hardline community to deal with if you need help. It's also less intuitive to maintain. You can do the same things in Ubuntu if you do enough research.

If you want maintenance to be super easy, Windows is the best option. It works with just about everything on the planet, but you are going to pay for the license.

how to even get it connected to my network to stream/store backups

You'll just hook it up your modem like any other computer. Once you know its IP address, you can connect to your shares pretty easily -- see http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-shortcut-map-network-drive#1TC=windows-7&bodyContentPane

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

To add to the above, if you want to get a bit of an impression of how the various NAS operating systems look and all that, Youtube is your friend:

For other NAS operating systems I've only found rather old videos. But you get the idea.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

11 hours ago, beavo451 said:

Windows Server is another paid option, but probably the least flexible.

How is Windows the least flexible? Nothing against other options or specially for it either but I don't see why you would rate it so badly in this respect. Low on user friendliness (no single web GUI) but due to the overwhelming support for Windows in both hardware and software it would be one of the most flexible. Mind you my interpretation of flexible in this case could just be different, if you can't easily configure it then it isn't flexible, only possible.

Either way I wouldn't recommend paying for a Windows license to use as a NAS unless there is some other dual purpose for it.

About hardware you can get some used server-grade gear (they are rated for 24/7 operation with long service life and MTBF after all) and for software I really like a Linux-based stack. I am relatively savvy with Linux command line so I almost always start with a fresh, vanilla installation of Ubuntu Server.

The Fruit Pie: Core i7-9700K ~ 2x Team Force Vulkan 16GB DDR4-3200 ~ Gigabyte Z390 UD ~ XFX RX 480 Reference 8GB ~ WD Black NVMe 1TB ~ WD Black 2TB ~ macOS Monterey amd64

The Warship: Core i7-10700K ~ 2x G.Skill 16GB DDR4-3200 ~ Asus ROG Strix Z490-G Gaming Wi-Fi ~ PNY RTX 3060 12GB LHR ~ Samsung PM981 1.92TB ~ Windows 11 Education amd64
The ThreadStripper: 2x Xeon E5-2696v2 ~ 8x Kingston KVR 16GB DDR3-1600 Registered ECC ~ Asus Z9PE-D16 ~ Sapphire RX 480 Reference 8GB ~ WD Black NVMe 1TB ~ Ubuntu Linux 20.04 amd64

The Question Mark? Core i9-11900K ~ 2x Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4-3000 @ DDR4-2933 ~ MSI Z590-A Pro ~ Sapphire Nitro RX 580 8GB ~ Samsung PM981A 960GB ~ Windows 11 Education amd64
Home server: Xeon E3-1231v3 ~ 2x Samsung 8GB DDR3-1600 Unbuffered ECC ~ Asus P9D-M ~ nVidia Tesla K20X 6GB ~ Broadcom MegaRAID 9271-8iCC ~ Gigabyte 480GB SATA SSD ~ 8x Mixed HDD 2TB ~ 16x Mixed HDD 3TB ~ Proxmox VE amd64

Laptop 1: Dell Latitude 3500 ~ Core i7-8565U ~ NVS 130 ~ 2x Samsung 16GB DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM ~ Samsung 960 Pro 512GB ~ Samsung 850 Evo 1TB ~ Windows 11 Education amd64
Laptop 2: Apple MacBookPro9.2 ~ Core i5-3210M ~ 2x Samsung 8GB DDR3L-1600 SO-DIMM ~ Intel SSD 520 Series 480GB ~ macOS Catalina amd64

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

How is Windows the least flexible? Nothing against other options or specially for it either but I don't see why you would rate it so badly in this respect. Low on user friendliness (no single web GUI) but due to the overwhelming support for Windows in both hardware and software it would be one of the most flexible. Mind you my interpretation of flexible in this case could just be different, if you can't easily configure it then it isn't flexible, only possible.

Either way I wouldn't recommend paying for a Windows license to use as a NAS unless there is some other dual purpose for it.

You're right. "Flexible" wasn't the correct term. I believe that Windows Server is not appropriate for home NAS use.