m.2 ssd - size does matter

ssdq

hey guys,

ive got a small problem, i built a mini itx system, everythings great so far, BUT. now i wanted to upgrade my main storage (right now ive got 2x850pro ssds) to a m.2 950 pro 512gb ssd.

heres my problem: ive bought the msi z170i gaming pro ac itx mobo, just looked at the regular specs, supports 32gbs m.2 - ok. in the bag

after some months i now realized that these freakin 950 pros are specified at 80mm in length, but my motherboard only has the screws for 60mm maximum. 

the connectors are the same. when i buy this thing, will i be able to use it? can i just freaking hot glue it on or someth?

thanks in advance guys, your awesome

best regards from germany

3 minutes ago, ssdq said:

hey guys,

ive got a small problem, i built a mini itx system, everythings great so far, BUT. now i wanted to upgrade my main storage (right now ive got 2x850pro ssds) to a m.2 950 pro 512gb ssd.

heres my problem: ive bought the msi z170i gaming pro ac itx mobo, just looked at the regular specs, supports 32gbs m.2 - ok. in the bag

after some months i now realized that these freakin 950 pros are specified at 80mm in length, but my motherboard only has the screws for 60mm maximum. 

the connectors are the same. when i buy this thing, will i be able to use it? can i just freaking hot glue it on or someth?

thanks in advance guys, your awesome

best regards from germany

No becuase there wont be enough space

Do NOT ever glue anything on a motherboard.

z170i-gaming-pro-ac-1-1280x1024.jpg

As you can see the m.2 slot is right above the pcie slot and anything longer than specified wouldn't fit because the pcie slot would be in the way. Even if hot glue were a good idea, it wouldn't work in this case.

You can however use something like this to be able to install te 950 pro. You can then use something (NOT glue) to have it stick (not permanently) to the chipset heatsink, making sure none of the electronics make direct contact with the heatsink.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

hey. it isnt, the storage m.2 slot is on the back of the mainboard and supports m.2 up to 60mm.

something like that: msi-z170i-gaming-pro-ac-review-bottom.jp

Agreed, M.2 is is on the back or this mobo. But I wouldn't try any tricks to get an 80mm drive installed.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

16 hours ago, brwainer said:

Agreed, M.2 is is on the back or this mobo. But I wouldn't try any tricks to get an 80mm drive installed.

hm. okay. do you have any suggestions for 60mm m.2 ssd's? or should i just stay with my 850's?

Thanks in advance

I haven't been keeping track of those. I would suggest looking at PC Part Picker, I think they have a filter for m.2 size

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: