Why is my PC Bottlenecking in Games?

4 hours ago, runit3 said:

Soooo you didn't enable DSR and change the resolution to 4k? or you did? DSR = Dynamic Super Resolution. http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/dsr/technology

You need to enable DSR, then go into the game and change the resolution up to 4k. Your FPS will likely be lower, but the corresponding readout on the graph should give your GPU a huge spike in usage (near 90-100%) and should take some load off the CPU.

Okay I have it updated in the initial post, It did not fix anything, it made it worse.

Problem has to be something else maybe.

Here are some more benchmarks, this time on league of legends.

I also included memory graphs the time I played.

I got choppy fps when something entered my view, and if my character Had an indicator for a skillshot, the indicator would skip fps until the character would enter the screen.

Any thoughts?

Here are graphs from league of legends.

Cpu/Gpu Graph:

loltestafterburner1.thumb.png.f38f3486c5

Ram Graph:

loltestafterburnermemory2.thumb.png.7239

This effect was happening at the time , I recreated it to see if there will be any change.

If I think about it in heroes of the storm I get frame skipping, but heroes of the storm or hots for short cant reproduce the same effect because lots of things happen and I cannot isolate it, but in league of legends I can isolate and check when it happens, as said above.

I'd advise you to check your BIOS settings.

According to your graphs, your GTX 980 is barely being used, but your CPU is kinda like doing all the job... I suspect the GPU.

To be sure, try borrowing another quad-core cpu for LGA 2011 socket, and run the same games again.

If not, try borrowing another GPU, preferably a GTX 980, and run the same games again.

Would like to know the results, after you have tested them again with a different CPU or GPU, if possible.

But I repeat, check your CPU and Graphics settings in your BIOS (I suspect the "Primary Graphics adapter : iGPU" - check it out).

Good luck!

Nothing to see here ;)

12 minutes ago, anandgeforce said:

I'd advise you to check your BIOS settings.

According to your graphs, your GTX 980 is barely being used, but your CPU is kinda like doing all the job... I suspect the GPU.

To be sure, try borrowing another quad-core cpu for LGA 2011 socket, and run the same games again.

If not, try borrowing another GPU, preferably a GTX 980, and run the same games again.

Would like to know the results, after you have tested them again with a different CPU or GPU, if possible.

But I repeat, check your CPU and Graphics settings in your BIOS (I suspect the "Primary Graphics adapter : iGPU" - check it out).

Good luck!

Yes, I did.

in fact check how my bios looks like. Not much to change really.

The gpu is used because I do not have inergrated gpu. I cannot swap cpus, I said in the initial post that I tried swapping gpus and even tried diffrent gpu models.

4 hours ago, TwinDenis said:

Yes, I did.

in fact check how my bios looks like. Not much to change really.

The gpu is used because I do not have inergrated gpu. I cannot swap cpus, I said in the initial post that I tried swapping gpus and even tried diffrent gpu models.

Oh! Forgot about the iGPU part... Sorry!

Then the fault is possibly with the Xeon!

Your particular CPU might be at fault, is my assumption. This is because I believe that a hyper-threaded quad-core, clocked at 3.6GHz, will generally not bottle-neck other components.

Nothing to see here ;)

9 hours ago, TwinDenis said:

it is in position 5 I have tried 3 as well, 2 has less pins besides the slot.

I used Heroes of the storm as an example.

In league of legends it happens mostly when something enters the screen more than when I pan over it. And it skips frames, only anything related to the unit skips frames, the other elements are normal usually, depends since it is really situation. Some games react differently but they all skip frames to some extent, the fps counter either fraps or in game one is always at 60 or so. Depends on my settings, if vsync it is 60 if not it is more. Adaptive vsync acts the same way.

ps: Anyway, a little out of topic but, what is DSR and why are you surprised it is doing it even with it enabled?

Are you trying to say that the fps counters are kinda like ignoring the frame-skipping that is happening? If so, there are approx 60 fps being output to the screen, but probably the monitor is causing the frames to be skip.

By the way, the mobo, psu, case, and the fans are DELL... pre-built? If so, the PSU may be of inferior quality. Is that also why you are unable to swap CPUs? Is the Xeon soldered to the motherboard?

Nothing to see here ;)

2 hours ago, anandgeforce said:

Are you trying to say that the fps counters are kinda like ignoring the frame-skipping that is happening? If so, there are approx 60 fps being output to the screen, but probably the monitor is causing the frames to be skip.

By the way, the mobo, psu, case, and the fans are DELL... pre-built? If so, the PSU may be of inferior quality. Is that also why you are unable to swap CPUs? Is the Xeon soldered to the motherboard?

It is a top class workstation by dell.

PSU info will be added in the initial post.

I am not e technician to swap CPUs, this requires someone who knows how to do that, I got it swapped in the past by technician. No difference.

I swapped monitors, I used HDMI too.

The actual fps are not skipped, the units are skipping fps. Not teleport, just skipping. Anything related to the characters either it is a special effect or an move indicator is skipping frames if the unit that it belongs to is outside of my screen/view.

Thats the only things I can answer.

These are some things that reduced the stuttering I experienced in games, not sure if it would help you.

• Update Realtek Audio drivers
  • Disable Windows superfetch
  • see if any periferals affect it (for me uninstalling my Razer Naga from Windows helped - something fucky was going on with the Synapse/Razer drivers)

I also used DriverBooster though I didn't notice any change, it may be worth it as it's possible you have some old outdated chipset driver or something.

4 minutes ago, Hiebly said:

These are some things that reduced the stuttering I experienced in games, not sure if it would help you.

• Update Realtek Audio drivers
  • Disable Windows superfetch
  • see if any periferals affect it (for me uninstalling my Razer Naga from Windows helped - something fucky was going on with the Synapse/Razer drivers)

I also used DriverBooster though I didn't notice any change, it may be worth it as it's possible you have some old outdated chipset driver or something.

• I have the latest Real Tech Drivers.
  • I disabled both Windows and bios super-fetch Technologies.
  • Not seing anything in the background disrupting, OS Installation is fresh.

Driver Booster is not recommended to update drivers, only find missing ones, same goes for driver identifier which is what microsoft uses to find archived drivers for each device. Driver Booster can potentially install non-compatible drivers that are not meant for the system but are listed in the compatibility list and can cause issues.

Chipset and all drivers as said in the initial post are up to date.

Looks like you've tried almost everything, but nothing is helping. :(

Here are some other options to try out, it might not help, but what else can you do.

1. I read that you're going to get new ram. Yes try that first, it's a possibility that ECC is doing some memory corrections, but I doubt that will cause your problems.

2. If you can, check for bent pins on the socket, this might cause the memory controller not to behave properly

3. Update your motherboard Chipset drivers as well as Intel Rapid Storage Driver, they can be download at Intel's site.

4. Make sure your SATA controller is set to ACHI

5. If possible, try running your ram in single channel mode, that's to put both sticks on 1 side of the cpu.

6. Update ethernet drivers

7. Check your SSD read/write and see what you get

8. Unplug non necessary peripherals from your system, like printers, webcam, external HDD, etc. And just plug in power cord, keyboard, mouse, monitor and ethernet cable.

9. Try a different power cord

10. Update motherboard bios and set bios back to defaults.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

9 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Looks like you've tried almost everything, but nothing is helping. :(

Here are some other options to try out, it might not help, but what else can you do.

1. I read that you're going to get new ram. Yes try that first, it's a possibility that ECC is doing some memory corrections, but I doubt that will cause your problems.

2. If you can, check for bent pins on the socket, this might cause the memory controller not to behave properly

3. Update your motherboard Chipset drivers as well as Intel Rapid Storage Driver, they can be download at Intel's site.

4. Make sure your SATA controller is set to ACHI

5. If possible, try running your ram in single channel mode, that's to put both sticks on 1 side of the cpu.

6. Update ethernet drivers

7. Check your SSD read/write and see what you get

8. Unplug non necessary peripherals from your system, like printers, webcam, external HDD, etc. And just plug in power cord, keyboard, mouse, monitor and ethernet cable.

9. Try a different power cord

10. Update motherboard bios and set bios back to defaults.

Tried everything you said except tweaking ram because I wait for it to arrive.

Just occurred to me but could it be something related to pre-fetching ? not superfetch or something like that, just that it could mis-calculate what would happen next.

Like, it was assuming that the field, or the view would be like that and it ended up like this so it chopped frames.

In league, characters that are not screen but their move indicators are on screen they skip frames, or if the character themselves are about to enter the view they get chopped in frame-rate.

Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, TwinDenis said:

Just occurred to me but could it be something related to pre-fetching ? not superfetch or something like that, just that it could mis-calculate what would happen next.

Like, it was assuming that the field, or the view would be like that and it ended up like this so it chopped frames.

In league, characters that are not screen but their move indicators are on screen they skip frames, or if the character themselves are about to enter the view they get chopped in frame-rate.

Any thoughts?

I am putting all my hopes in your new G.Skill Trident 1600MHz Dual Channel RAM sticks. Best of luck!

Nothing to see here ;)

5 hours ago, anandgeforce said:

I am putting all my hopes in your new G.Skill Trident 1600MHz Dual Channel RAM sticks. Best of luck!

Kinda, thats where my hopes are, out of curiosity, can you find me the chipset driver for Intel C600? Dell has an older version and dell does not state anything about it.

8 hours ago, TwinDenis said:

Any thoughts?

With a ssd, those 2 functions can be turned off. Use your samsung magician software to do it for you. Set it to reliability. I did a test between performance and reliability, the reliability mode made the ssd a tad slower, i also did rapid mode and between all of them, i can't tell the difference in real world use. 

Clear out your prefetch files and see if that helps. They are in c:\windows\prefetch.

Can you disable ecc function in the bios?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

With a ssd, those 2 functions can be turned off. Use your samsung magician software to do it for you. Set it to reliability. I did a test between performance and reliability, the reliability mode made the ssd a tad slower, i also did rapid mode and between all of them, i can't tell the difference in real world use. 

Clear out your prefetch files and see if that helps. They are in c:\windows\prefetch.

Can you disable ecc function in the bios?

Honestly, I tried to play Heroes of the storm and it was one step from getting me epilepsy (as a non-epileptic person)...

I did this but it did not make any difference.

In bios there is superfetch, not pre-fetch.

Lets troubleshoot if it is a network problem, did the tests and pathpings/tracert that blizzard suggested me, maybe a % of the problem is based on some connection problem, I have 0% packet loss for their European servers.

24 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

Honestly, I tried to play Heroes of the storm and it was one step from getting me epilepsy (as a non-epileptic person)...

I did this but it did not make any difference.

In bios there is superfetch, not pre-fetch.

Both Superfetch and pre-fetch are windows settings. I was talking about ECC, can you disable that in the bios, so your ecc ram will act like regular ram.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

38 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Both Superfetch and pre-fetch are windows settings. I was talking about ECC, can you disable that in the bios, so your ecc ram will act like regular ram.

No, only reliable memory, but this is a reporting method like s.m.a.r.t. for ram.

21 hours ago, TwinDenis said:

Kinda, thats where my hopes are, out of curiosity, can you find me the chipset driver for Intel C600? Dell has an older version and dell does not state anything about it.

These are the ones I could find...

If you still cannot find those chipset drivers, contact Intel directly, and explain the situation to their "Support" team. You can also do the same for Dell.

Good Luck!

Nothing to see here ;)

2 hours ago, anandgeforce said:

These are the ones I could find...

If you still cannot find those chipset drivers, contact Intel directly, and explain the situation to their "Support" team. You can also do the same for Dell.

Good Luck!

Oh okay, 

does my pc support pciegen3? to allow my graphics card to fully work in terms of speed?

51 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

Oh okay,

does my pc support pciegen3? to allow my graphics card to fully work in terms of speed?

The Dell Precision T3600 supports PCIe Gen 3 graphics cards :

http://www.in.tum.de/fileadmin/user_upload/RBG/Datenblaetter/Dell/Workstation/Dell-Precision-T3600.pdf

Only PCIe x16 Slot 3 (according to the manual linked above) will actually work as x16. The rest will function only as x4 slots.

BTW your PC looks awesome...

Nothing to see here ;)

7 hours ago, anandgeforce said:

Yeah I asked because in the link you gave me before in chipset it said pcie 2.0

I tried to use a patch to turn 2.0 into 3.0

so now my graphics card uses 3.0 speeds.

Thanks, which port is the one that will work as pcie x16 gen3?

I used the blue one but tried the others as well.

Update:

I updated the initial post, check out the video I recorded a while back.

The fps/choppy gameplay is not as visible as in the real experience (because it is a recording) but it is surely a good reference point.

6 hours ago, TwinDenis said:

Update:

I updated the initial post, check out the video I recorded a while back.

The fps/choppy gameplay is not as visible as in the real experience (because it is a recording) but it is surely a good reference point.

At many instances, when your frame is filled with lots of moving characters, the fps kinda drops to even less than 10 (or even 5 at times)!

After switching the RAM for the G.Skill ones, and if they don't help, switch the motherboard... no other way of finding out.

Nothing to see here ;)

On 2/7/2016 at 4:48 AM, anandgeforce said:

At many instances, when your frame is filled with lots of moving characters, the fps kinda drops to even less than 10 (or even 5 at times)!

After switching the RAM for the G.Skill ones, and if they don't help, switch the motherboard... no other way of finding out.

I was told that ram will not affect much, is it true?...

Well changing motherboard will not help much if I dont know where the problem is, because if I buy one and spend aprox, 700+ moneys for nothing it will be bad. Because I will need a new case, psu, cpu and motherboard.

The motherboard+cpu are the main pc components. So I will need to essentially buy a new PC.

This is not worth it.

You can check my motherboard if you want, the specs are on my profile to do a better review.

We talking about motherboard type, because the motherboard itself was swapped as said on the initial post more than once.

Also could it be hardware acceleration of the gpu or something? (In windows 10 I cant find it.)