Budget Gaming at 144hz

Frenzy724

Hey guys, I've been trying to perfect a $1kish 144hz setup for a while now. I think I've got a really good balance here, asking for your guys' thoughts on part choice, compatibility, and performance per dollar.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WBqyJx

I must include that (or similar) 144hz monitor in the price, since $1k is my overall budget and I don't have a monitor. I currently use my laptop with a headset/mouse/keyboard though so I'm good on all other peripherals. I play a ton of CS:GO and really want to take the step up to 144hz mainly for that game. I also play a significant amount of Rocket League and GTA V, with some Borderlands 2 recently that my friends got it on sale this weekend. As obvious by my monitor choice, my goal is single screen 1080p. Hoping for a solid 60fps at least in GTA, hopefully very high (maybe not ultra) settings.

EDIT: I don't need a storage solution. I'm going to wipe my laptop HDD (1tb wd blue 5400rpm 2.5') and also have a Windows Key off reddit.

2 minutes ago, Marsquakes said:

Sorry for the lack of replies, some other topic just exploded. Try this build. https://pcpartpicker.com/blog/38/1100-gaming-build

Not to be rude, but did you read my post? I need to include a 144hz monitor in my price. And my current list already has a 970, why would I downgrade to 770..?

3 minutes ago, Marsquakes said:

Sorry for the lack of replies, some other topic just exploded. Try this build. https://pcpartpicker.com/blog/38/1100-gaming-build

a 770 is a lot slower than the 970 he is looking at currently though

9 minutes ago, Frenzy724 said:

Hey guys, I've been trying to perfect a $1kish 144hz setup for a while now. I think I've got a really good balance here, asking for your guys' thoughts on part choice, compatibility, and performance per dollar.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WBqyJx

I must include that (or similar) 144hz monitor in the price, since $1k is my overall budget and I don't have a monitor. I currently use my laptop with a headset/mouse/keyboard though so I'm good on all other peripherals. I play a ton of CS:GO and really want to take the step up to 144hz mainly for that game. I also play a significant amount of Rocket League and GTA V, with some Borderlands 2 recently that my friends got it on sale this weekend. As obvious by my monitor choice, my goal is single screen 1080p. Hoping for a solid 60fps at least in GTA, hopefully very high (maybe not ultra) settings.

i'd recommend waiting for Pascal as there will be a die shrink that shouild be a huge boost to performance

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

3 minutes ago, NicekillBG said:

get a 390 not a 970

The performance difference isn't enough to get me to give up ShadowPlay, Geforce Experience, Shield Streaming, and coming Game Streaming over Chrome.

looks good to me! You do realize though  that you wont be getting ultra settings at 144hz with that card right? What games do you plan on playing?

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

7 minutes ago, Sharkyx1 said:

a 770 is a lot slower than the 970 he is looking at currently though

i'd recommend waiting for Pascal as there will be a die shrink that shouild be a huge boost to performance

Is that confirmed? I hear so much about Pascal being a huge step. Is it really worth it that much to wait? I might get the system without a GPU and continue using my laptop (gt650m) until Pascal.

16 minutes ago, Cvdasfg said:

looks good to me! You do realize though  that you wont be getting ultra settings at 144hz with that card right? What games do you plan on playing?

Yes, the 144hz is really just for CS:GO. As stated at the bottom of my post I mostly play Rocket League and GTA V, with some Borderlands 2 occasionally. I don't expect 144 fps in those games, 60 is my goal for everything except CS. When I have some extra cash (near the end of the year maybe) maybe I'll SLI, if that would give me enough for 144 on high~ish settings.

I play a ton of CS:GO and really want to take the step up to 144hz mainly for that game. I also play a significant amount of Rocket League and GTA V, with some Borderlands 2 recently that my friends got it on sale this weekend. As obvious by my monitor choice, my goal is single screen 1080p. Hoping for a solid 60fps at least in GTA, hopefully very high (maybe not ultra) settings.

23 minutes ago, Frenzy724 said:

I play a ton of CS:GO and really want to take the step up to 144hz mainly for that game. I also play a significant amount of Rocket League and GTA V, with some Borderlands 2 recently that my friends got it on sale this weekend. As obvious by my monitor choice, my goal is single screen 1080p. Hoping for a solid 60fps at least in GTA, hopefully very high (maybe not ultra) settings.

Just now, Frenzy724 said:

Is that confirmed? I hear so much about Pascal being a huge step. Is it really worth it that much to wait? I might get the system without a GPU and continue using my laptop (gt650m) until Pascal.

It's up in the air, there will be a die shrink, and it's the first one since the 7970 and 680 released in early 2012. We can't say for sure how much of a jump it will be but i absolutely reccomend waiting.

It's always good advice to wait, it delays your gaming but you will get more performance for your money and i'm not a massive fan of the 970 due to its memory restrictions and how those might come into play in the future.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

2 minutes ago, Frenzy724 said:

Yes, the 144hz is really just for CS:GO. As stated at the bottom of my post I mostly play Rocket League and GTA V, with some Borderlands 2 occasionally. I don't expect 144 fps in those games, 60 is my goal for everything except CS. When I have some extra cash (near the end of the year maybe) maybe I'll SLI, if that would give me enough for 144 on high~ish settings.

for reference you're going to want 72 hz on a 144hz display or change the refresh rate. you want to land on half intervals for smooth gaming.

46 minutes ago, Frenzy724 said:

The performance difference isn't enough to get me to give up ShadowPlay, Geforce Experience, Shield Streaming, and coming Game Streaming over Chrome.

thats total bullshit but meh

I didn't know what to put here...

42 minutes ago, NicekillBG said:

thats total bullshit but meh

How? The 970 is better for a lot of people. If you use any of the team green stuff its worth it. Plus in my experience AMD stuff is hot, and breaks much quicker. 

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

3 hours ago, Cvdasfg said:

How? The 970 is better for a lot of people. If you use any of the team green stuff its worth it. Plus in my experience AMD stuff is hot, and breaks much quicker. 

Why do you need a 650W power supply when the total power consumption is around 300? 500w is good, 450w is good.. that can save you a lot and maybe get you a better case like a design s or something.. but everything else is good. (considering you have HD and SSD already)