Building my first FreeNAS

I am building my first FreeNAS server and I have an i7 2600 and 8gb of ddr2 ram.  I think I am going to get a new psu and a new case.  I am also going to need 3tb of storage with a new case. I am thinking the case can be like a rectangular box.  If anyone can make a pcpartpicker list for me my budget is 200 thanks and a I want 3tb of storage a new case and psu with low wattage. Thanks any help will be appreciated.

You might want to have ECC ram as FreeNAS uses software raid.

My native language is C++

please use ECC RAM for anything doing Parity calculations in software (FreeNAS, unRAID, etc). While a little mistake in a bit won't cause immediate issues, if/when you have to rebuild your RAID in the future, an error in the parity bit can cause major issues. the i7 2600 doesn't support ECC RAM. You can build a freeNAS server without ECC RAM, but if you do and subsequently have issues with data corruption or a failed rebuild, you won't get any support from the community. You are placing your data at risk.

Edit: ECC is not as important for RAID 0/1/10, but you can still find issues in a RAID 1 or RAID 10 when rebuilding if not using ECC RAM.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

8 hours ago, brwainer said:

please use ECC RAM for anything doing Parity calculations in software (FreeNAS, unRAID, etc). While a little mistake in a bit won't cause immediate issues, if/when you have to rebuild your RAID in the future, an error in the parity bit can cause major issues. the i7 2600 doesn't support ECC RAM. You can build a freeNAS server without ECC RAM, but if you do and subsequently have issues with data corruption or a failed rebuild, you won't get any support from the community. You are placing your data at risk.

Edit: ECC is not as important for RAID 0/1/10, but you can still find issues in a RAID 1 or RAID 10 when rebuilding if not using ECC RAM.

Thanks for the help... I think you made me more scared to do this lol.

ECC is recommended but not requied. I used FreeNAS on i5 2400 as a VM in ESXi 5.5 and it worked great. ZFS itself is safer than any other file system so by itself it's better than with for example NTFS. So for home use it will be fine - especially when you have that hardware already. But use RAID-Z2 - 2 disk parity.ZFS Parity is much safer than any other hw raid.

Main;Ryzen 2700X, ASROCK X370 KillerSLI,48GB DDR4 2933Mhz, Sapphire 5700XT Pulse,CM SilentPro M2 720W+Fractal Core 3000, Philips 346P1CRH
Server1: Atermiter X99,Intel Xeon E5-2650LV3 12core,56GB DDR4 RDIMM 2133Mhz
Denon AVC-A11XV|UDM-PRO|Zyxel XGS1930-28

4 minutes ago, sybreeder said:

ECC is recommended but not requied. I used FreeNAS on i5 2400 as a VM in ESXi 5.5 and it worked great. ZFS itself is safer than any other file system so by itself it's better than with for example NTFS. So for home use it will be fine - especially when you have that hardware already. But use RAID-Z2 - 2 disk parity.ZFS Parity is much safer than any other hw raid.

Thanks for all the help man.