Optimal business configuration

Go to solution Solved by Whaler_99,

If you are a small business and familiar with Windows you could go with Foundation or Essentials server, setup a domain and away you go...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/products/windows-server-2012-r2-essentials/Comparison.aspx

Can anyone help me to configure a business server? I want to know the best solution in terms of performance and easy to use configuration for have all files in one place but i won't do an all-sharing network without any password... 

You're going to have to be more specific, how many seats and what do you need from the solution?

If you are a small business and familiar with Windows you could go with Foundation or Essentials server, setup a domain and away you go...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/products/windows-server-2012-r2-essentials/Comparison.aspx

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

1 hour ago, peterino55 said:

If you don't want to spend so much on windows server, you can download the tech preview of 2016 here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-technical-preview

the tech preview has a set expiration and also is NOT ready for production use at all. It is not like running the test versions of Windows 10 where it means you get Windows for free but have to be the beta tester for updates - this is completely different.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

23 hours ago, Giuseppe96 said:

Can anyone help me to configure a business server? I want to know the best solution in terms of performance and easy to use configuration for have all files in one place but i won't do an all-sharing network without any password... 

I realise this has been marked as answered but I feel there is so much more to give the OP. How come the conversation directed straight towards operating systems?

1 hour ago, brwainer said:

the tech preview has a set expiration and also is NOT ready for production use at all. It is not like running the test versions of Windows 10 where it means you get Windows for free but have to be the beta tester for updates - this is completely different.

Damn, was about to use it for my server instead of 2008.

On 01/02/2016 at 2:51 PM, Giuseppe96 said:

You need to give us more information than just "business server" before we can make any real recommendations.

What do you need this server to do for you? Share files?
Serve websites internally? External website hosting?
Is this a development server? Will it be used for rendering?
Are you planning on running your own company ERP/CRM software?
What types of device are you using? What operating systems?
Are you mobile? Do you need chat or communication services?

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I need this server for hosting files internally on the network and even if it is possible reach this files using other computer via internet. The files are almost documents or photo not need video 4k editing or transfer terabytes of data, just a few megabytes... Maybe I'll install also remote desktop for control my computer when i can't go to work.

1 hour ago, Giuseppe96 said:

I need this server for hosting files internally on the network and even if it is possible reach this files using other computer via internet. The files are almost documents or photo not need video 4k editing or transfer terabytes of data, just a few megabytes... Maybe I'll install also remote desktop for control my computer when i can't go to work.

FreeNAS, UnRaid, etc, or Windows Server are your best bets. Windows Server has RDP built in, and the rest are configured by a website so no remote desktop needed.

5 hours ago, brwainer said:

FreeNAS, UnRaid, etc, or Windows Server are your best bets. Windows Server has RDP built in, and the rest are configured by a website so no remote desktop needed.

I forgot to say, this is for my mum's office, she already have Windows server 2012, so I need to configure that...

1 hour ago, Giuseppe96 said:

I forgot to say, this is for my mum's office, she already have Windows server 2012, so I need to configure that...

well there you go then..... since you (presumably) don't have a domain and don't need one, you create a user account for each employee on the server, set up a SMB share in the Server Manager, and assign those users read and write access to the appropriate file shares (and any other restrictions like anonymous users having no access)

On 2/2/2016 at 6:10 AM, peterino55 said:

If you don't want to spend so much on windows server, you can download the tech preview of 2016 here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-technical-preview

I hope your not working in IT. If you are, you have a lot to learn. NEVER deploy anything that is not 100% released and supported into production, that's what you test network is for.

5 hours ago, brwainer said:

well there you go then..... since you (presumably) don't have a domain and don't need one, you create a user account for each employee on the server, set up a SMB share in the Server Manager, and assign those users read and write access to the appropriate file shares (and any other restrictions like anonymous users having no access)

I'd also add to make sure you MAP the shares, so each user can cache their server credentials, otherwise you'll have the receptionist complaining about needing to authenticate ever 5mins, and then doings so with the wrong username/password.

8 hours ago, Blake said:

I hope your not working in IT. If you are, you have a lot to learn. NEVER deploy anything that is not 100% released and supported into production, that's what you test network is for.

Glad I'm not

12 hours ago, Blake said:

17 hours ago, brwainer said:

12 hours ago, Blake said:

I'd also add to make sure you MAP the shares, so each user can cache their server credentials, otherwise you'll have the receptionist complaining about needing to authenticate ever 5mins, and then doings so with the wrong username/password.

First I don't work, I'm 19 and I'm going to university right now, Second I've a domain but i don't know how to configure...

8 hours ago, Giuseppe96 said:

First I don't work, I'm 19 and I'm going to university right now, Second I've a domain but i don't know how to configure...

As in there is already a domain at the site? open up system properties, and down where you change the name of the system you should also be able to change domain/workgroup. enter the domain, enter username/password of enterprise/domain admin and you are done.

If you mean you'd need to configure AD, let a pro do that. just make some local user, make a bunch of network shares, then on the client open up explorer and map a network drive. in the wizard you can tell it to use different credentials, enter the username as <Server>\<Username> and tell it to store the credential.

10 hours ago, Giuseppe96 said:

when I said Domain above I mean a full Active Directory Domain, which is used in larger businesses to centralize login information. You don't need it for only having one or two servers, it is better to just use local accounts on each server versus the pain of setting up and maintaining AD.