Which Linux Distro is right for me

So I have been using windows on my craptop for the past 3 years and it is definitely showing its age. I have tried to give it a fresh install of Windows but unfortunately Lenovo doesn't seem to like me finding the Windows key for a Laptop that came with it preinstalled. I want something that will look and feel like Windows, that I can get up and running quickly and will work on my AMD A8 4500M with 4GB of RAM

I really enjoy Korora.  Its based on Fedora.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Fedora is for at least intermediate users.

Linux Mint is very similar to Windows (XP) layout wise and it's a great distro for beginners.

Linux Mint is similar-looking and similar-feeling to Windows, and after a few days you should be pretty comfortable with it.  It's also one of the more stable/user-friendly distros with massive software support.  It also comes with a bunch of media codecs pre-installed, so you don't need to install too much to use it as a daily machine for most things.  I use Mint, personally, so I can vouch for it being pretty lightweight and easy to use, but that doesn't mean it's the only option.

There's also ZorinOS, designed specifically to be Windows-looking and friendly to people switching over from Windows.  Fedora is an ever-popular choice, but it has very short release cycles and focuses a lot on bleeding-edge software.  Or Debian's Stable branch, for something very stable (as the name implies), but with less in the way of newer software due to how the development cycle goes, and with a bit less of a focus on newer/less experienced users.

Try out Linux Mint. It doesn't take much time to install any Linux distro (as far as I know) so if you don't like it you can try something else.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Personally I use Antergos on my laptop. It has the functionality of the pacman package manager, without the hard install. Basically Arch with an installer. Another distro similar to it is Manjaro, but personally I have not used it.

Tokyo Sunshine:Corsair 750d case with custom lighting, Asus ROG Maximus VIII Z170, Intel i5-6600 processor, 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4 RAM, MSI r9 270x 4gb@ 1300mhz mem clock, Sandisk Ultra II SSD 256gb, 2x 1tb HDD

7 hours ago, CUDA_Cores said:

my favorite distro to use on older machines is lubuntu. It is basically Ubuntu but slimmed down to work on older computers. It isn't entirely simmilar to windows but it is close enough and I have found it to work well on machines down to even a Pentium D!

I agree there wholly. well that or kubuntu. Both of them have familiar easy interfaces to windows users more usability that whatever Gnome/unity has become now. and in my opinion more more efficient and faster.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

8 hours ago, Azgoth 2 said:

Linux Mint is similar-looking and similar-feeling to Windows, and after a few days you should be pretty comfortable with it.  It's also one of the more stable/user-friendly distros with massive software support.  It also comes with a bunch of media codecs pre-installed, so you don't need to install too much to use it as a daily machine for most things.  I use Mint, personally, so I can vouch for it being pretty lightweight and easy to use, but that doesn't mean it's the only option.

There's also ZorinOS, designed specifically to be Windows-looking and friendly to people switching over from Windows.  Fedora is an ever-popular choice, but it has very short release cycles and focuses a lot on bleeding-edge software.  Or Debian's Stable branch, for something very stable (as the name implies), but with less in the way of newer software due to how the development cycle goes, and with a bit less of a focus on newer/less experienced users.

Where would I find the downloads for these?? And would I be able to boot all of these from a USB drive?

3 hours ago, RWR2299 said:

Where would I find the downloads for these?? And would I be able to boot all of these from a USB drive?

Yes, you would.

Linux Mint: bit.ly/1KnfzvZ

Zorin OS: bit.ly/1nCdUrS