nvidia pascal requiring new motherboard?

So from what I gathered on on http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-architecture-detailed-technical-analysis-stacked-dram-nv-link/ detailing the new NVLink feature coming to new Pascal GPU's in 2016, they state 

What Nvidia is going for is basically a complete point-to-point design where the processors are connected directly to each other without going through a third party channel. However this means that the current PCI-E slot is no good. So NV Link will have to be physically included in Motherboards of the future.

I'm looking to buy the GP100 chipset in the upcoming GPU revealed in April, so I would need to buy a new motherboard to support a proprietary nvidia connector? My last CPU upgrade was an i7-4790k, so I would also have to upgrade to skylake for the new motherboards which run x99 currently, assuming they only bring this to the current gen motherboards? :S

As far as we know, you won't require a new board. At least, not yet. 

That article is from 2 years ago, so it's not really relevant anymore. 

Sounds like you would need a new mobo, but is the feature worth all this money in upgrades?

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 3.4ghz CPU COOLER: Cryorig H7 w/ Red Corsair SP120mm  MOBO: MSI SLI Krait Edition Z170 MEMORY: G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4) Storage: Kingston V300 120gb, WD 1TB GPU: MSI R9 390X CASE: Phantom 410 (ew) PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 550w CASE FANS: 4 CORSAIR SP120mm MONITOR: LG 25UM67 KEYBOARD: Das4 Ultimate Cherry MX Blue MOUSE: Deathadder Chroma Left-Handed AUDIO: Sennheiser HD598 Black, Astro A40s

from what i understood nvlink is only for servers that will use pascal GPUsfor computing, like teslas or whatever

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Depends on the user, but I would be saving up. I would sell the parts I'm replacing to recuperate if it turns out I would need it. It's not the feature that's worth it because it's listed as a new feature still as far as I'm aware with the new architecture. I'm hoping to keep my current system in the end though.

That would be a pretty stupid business move. If you decided on a new GPU to buy, then found out that you also need to buy a brand new mobo, and possibly CPU and RAM, you probably won't buy it, at least not right away. Then imagine if AMD's new cards didn't have that requirement. Nvidia just handed over a huge chunk of their GPU marketshare.

Just now, Virtual01 said:

That would be a pretty stupid business move. If you decided on a new GPU to buy, then found out that you also need to buy a brand new mobo, and possibly CPU and RAM, you probably won't buy it, at least not right away. Then imagine if AMD's new cards didn't have that requirement. Nvidia just handed over a huge chunk of their GPU marketshare.

Really? So Intel handed over a huge chunk of the CPU market to AMD when requiring a new Motherboard to use Skylake? Or did everyone run out and get a new MOBO?

:)

If anyone asks you never saw me.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Really? So Intel handed over a huge chunk of the CPU market to AMD when requiring a new Motherboard to use Skylake? Or did everyone run out and get a new MOBO?

:)

AMD is currently non-competitive in the CPU market so Intel could basically pull that move for free.

2 minutes ago, Virtual01 said:

AMD is currently non-competitive in the CPU market so Intel could basically pull that move for free.

Ah, then you concede that as long as the performance is there, Nvidia is free to require this change?

I'm just fuckin with you, this is not relevant to the consumer cards being released over the next few year from Nvidia. They wouldn't require a new MOBO xD

If anyone asks you never saw me.

With a bit more research, and from a week old article http://wccftech.com/nvidia-flagship-pascal-gpu-2h-2016/

The GP100/200 chips will be available in a range of new packages such as the regular graphics (Add-In) boards and the new Mezzanine cards which were showed back at GTC 2015.

Seems like it'll be fine for the consumer model. I'm assuming then NVLink is just a feature pascal has specifically for the HPC market and the mezzanine boards, and not consumer.