Seasonic M12II-520w Evo Edition - Still worth getting?

ZeferiniX

So my generic deepcool psu died and I'm considering the PSU on the title. Is it still worth getting that particular PSU? Check sig for rig.

| CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | MoBo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | RAM: T-Force Delta RGB (2x8) 16GB 3200MHz (Black) | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti OC | Case: NZXT H500 (Black) | HDD: WD Black 2TB + Seagate Barracuda 4TB | SSD: Crucial MX500 2TB | PSU: Seasonic GX-550 | Monitor: 3x Asus VC239H |

What do you mean still worth getting? Are you expecting some new generation of PSU's?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

3 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

What do you mean still worth getting? Are you expecting some new generation of PSU's?

I mean, in terms of capacity and reliability with respect to my current rig. Been hearing some issues about seasonic's QC lately so dunno if I should risk myself at this one despite it being a tier 1 psu.

| CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | MoBo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | RAM: T-Force Delta RGB (2x8) 16GB 3200MHz (Black) | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti OC | Case: NZXT H500 (Black) | HDD: WD Black 2TB + Seagate Barracuda 4TB | SSD: Crucial MX500 2TB | PSU: Seasonic GX-550 | Monitor: 3x Asus VC239H |

2 minutes ago, ZeferiniX said:

I mean, in terms of capacity and reliability with respect to my current rig. Been hearing some issues about seasonic's QC lately so dunno if I should risk myself at this one despite it being a tier 1 psu.

It's tier 1, you aren't risking anything.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

3 minutes ago, ZeferiniX said:

Well it's never been tier 1, tier 1 PSUs are entirely gold and platinum units (for quite a while), but it is still a good PSU regardless.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

7 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Well it's never been tier 1, tier 1 PSUs are entirely gold and platinum units (for quite a while), but it is still a good PSU regardless.

I remember seeing this as a tier 1 on another forum long long ago. Looked it up again just now and it moved to tier 2, on your sig link, it's tier 3. Oh well. As long as it won't be the same as the reviews I've seen about the product being DOA. I'm in a pinch at the moment since I don't have a spare PSU to use and continue my work at home. Got afraid about the DOA issue and seasonic's QC rumor

15 minutes ago, ZeferiniX said:

I remember seeing this as a tier 1 on another forum long long ago. Looked it up again just now and it moved to tier 2, on your sig link, it's tier 3. Oh well. As long as it won't be the same as the reviews I've seen about the product being DOA. I'm in a pinch at the moment since I don't have a spare PSU to use and continue my work at home. Got afraid about the DOA issue and seasonic's QC rumor

Yeah don't worry about it, seasonic has decent enough QC just no matter what you do about 5% of you products (if you sell electronics) will be defective unless you do testing on each one individually, power supplies generally do batch tests where they take a couple sample units and scrutinize them, but testing every unit would cost them more than shipping replacements for DOA units so they don't go that far, either way seasonic is better than most companies out there currently.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 hour ago, ZeferiniX said:

If there was a slipped in QC, it could be because Seasonic's factory may be having difficulties keeping up with the demands. They have to manufactured PSUs for Corsair (AX760/860), Antec (HCG / M, True Power Classic, Edge), BeQuiet (Dark Power Pro 10), Cooler Master (original fully modular V series), Fractal Design (Edison M), and even for companies that only sell in their country (LDLC - a French company that sell all Seasonics). Not too long ago, EVGA who quickly expanded into the PSU market (GS and PS), as well as Cyonic (entire line). On top of that, they have been putting some of their focus on refreshing the KM3/XP2 line as well as introducing new series (Prime, Focus, Lightning Cube). All of this, while maintaining their own retail branding.

Anyways, the M12II-B Evo 520w would be a much better PSU than your Deepcool, and I wouldn't worry too much about the QC issues. Of course, like always, if you want us to provide you any valuable input about whether or not it is "worth it", it would be best to know what other options you can go with. Can you provide a budget and links to stores you are able to buy from?

2 minutes ago, quan289 said:

If there was a slipped in QC, it could be because Seasonic factory having difficulties keeping up with the demands. They have to manufactured PSUs for Corsair (AX760/860), Antec (HCG / M, True Power Classic, Edge), BeQuiet (Dark Power Pro 10), Cooler Master (original fully modular V series), Fractal Design (Edison M), and even for companies that only sell in their country (LDLC - a French company that sell all Seasonics). Not too long ago, the quickly expanding in the PSU market, EVGA as well (GS and PS), as well as Cyonic. On top of that, they have been putting some of their focus on refreshing the KM3/XP2 line as well as introducing new series (Prime, Focus, Lightning Cube). All of this, while maintaining their own retail branding.

Anyways, the M12II-B Evo 520w would be a much better PSU than your Deepcool, and I wouldn't worry too much about the QC issues. Of course, like always, if you want us to provide you any valuable input about whether or not it is "worth it", it would be best to know what other options you can go with. Can you provide a budget and links to stores you are able to buy from?

Afaik Antec uses Delta, not Seasonic, and they're just as good :P

HOLY SHIT EMOJIS ARE BACK :o

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Afaik Antec uses Delta, not Seasonic, and they're just as good :P

HOLY SHIT EMOJIS ARE BACK :o

They used various of OEMs including Seasonic, like the ones I had mentioned. But yes, Antec does, indeed, used Delta as well like their High Current Pro Platinum.

You can see what they had used in the past and currently here: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page673.htm

1 hour ago, ZeferiniX said:

I have the 850w version of that PSU and everything has been fine since I bought it almost 15 months ago. Never had an issue with Seasonic.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

im using the 620W version of it and have no complaints
other than my 970 having coil whine during benchmarks but not during actual gaming sessions that might be caused by power supply, or so i read online

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

7 minutes ago, quan289 said:

They used various of OEMs including Seasonic, like the ones I had mentioned. But yes, Antec does, indeed, used Delta as well like their High Current Pro Platinum.

You can see what they had used in the past and currently here: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page673.htm

That is one the most useful websites ever, thank you :D

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

2 hours ago, ZeferiniX said:

What QC issues? AFAIK there was a flaw with the original M12II hence the EVO series existing. Evo are perfectly fine and SeaSonic have great CS so it's going to be good.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

53 minutes ago, quan289 said:

If there was a slipped in QC, it could be because Seasonic's factory may be having difficulties keeping up with the demands. They have to manufactured PSUs for Corsair (AX760/860), Antec (HCG / M, True Power Classic, Edge), BeQuiet (Dark Power Pro 10), Cooler Master (original fully modular V series), Fractal Design (Edison M), and even for companies that only sell in their country (LDLC - a French company that sell all Seasonics). Not too long ago, EVGA who quickly expanded into the PSU market (GS and PS), as well as Cyonic (entire line). On top of that, they have been putting some of their focus on refreshing the KM3/XP2 line as well as introducing new series (Prime, Focus, Lightning Cube). All of this, while maintaining their own retail branding.

Ooh, didn't know they have their hands full.

I'm from PH so my choices are quite limited but by process of elimination, this is the only one I can afford that is in the highest tier of AresKrieger's sig link about PSU Tiers. It costed me 3949php, that's almost a hundred bucks in USD I believe. Expensive D:

30 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

What QC issues? AFAIK there was a flaw with the original M12II hence the EVO series existing. Evo are perfectly fine and SeaSonic have great CS so it's going to be good.

Probably it was the non-evo that I've heard about. 

My bad for multiple consecutive replies. I cant use my PC yet and I'm on mobile for the meantime. Is there a multiquote for the mobile version? I see that linustechtips changed the mobile layout. 

3 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

Pro series XXX / Semi-Modular Seasonic 

These are tier 1 psus that are bronze.

4 hours ago, Hodor said:

Pro series XXX / Semi-Modular Seasonic 

These are tier 1 psus that are bronze.

First off based on the new tier list it is tier 2, second that is a silver not bronze PSU, third seasonic makes it but xfx is the seller, and lastly I don't think they still make those, as I can't find any new stock.