Star Citizen CPU Requirements?

Keen_Interest

Hey guys, really looking to the clued-up Star Citizen fans to answer this one for me. 

I was wondering, is there expected to be a performance benefit in Star Citizen to using a 4770K over a 4670K, because I know its going to be optimized for multi-core CPUs, but has it been said how many cores will be the maximum used? 

Cheers!

It'll use more than 4 cores (I think 8 because Cryengine 3 uses 8.) but the i7 uses hyperthreading instead of individual cores. Because of this, they are not nearly as strong as individual cores not to mention games aren't really taking advantage of HT anyway.

Even if it does, it won't be anything significant. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

No one knows. The full game isn't out and optimization for anything is HORRID! Wait until the game comes out with the Beta for a better idea.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Read my thread on console optimisations :P preferably the hyper-threading and benefits of multi-threading sections.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Read my thread on console optimisations :P preferably the hyper-threading and benefits of multi-threading sections.

Okay, so the impression I'm getting from your thread is, atm it would seem that if Start Citizen uses more that 4 cores, I would be better off with an 8-core AMD CPU than a 12-core hyperthreaded Intel CPU?

The fact of the matter is there's no indication either way yet.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

That is an awesome icon :D

Anyone tried the hangar thing that is out now?

I need a USB-refrigerator for my beer

Anyone tried the hangar thing that is out now?

Yeah i have, its cool, not much to do thou.

As for System Requirements, there is no answer on it, so i suggest you take the answers above with a grain of salt.

I did however found this http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=5490&game=Star%20Citizen

But i Don´t think is all that Accurate 

Game release set for 2015.

When that time comes, upgrade your rig with enthusiast grade hardware based on what specs you want to play with.

Any high end hardware purchased today will only run the game at medium.

Sorry to say, but you can't "future proof" your computer. Today's hardware will likely be inadequate even the higher end hardware is set to struggle.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

A lot of people report anecdotal evidence of performance benefits of 3770k vs 3570k or 2600k vs 2500k in games like Battlefield 3 when playing large multiplayer scenarios with a lot going around. Not sure if this is down to the hyper-threading or extra cache.

The problem is it's not something that would show in a typical single player scripted run through which almost all the reviewers use. The difference seems to exist in some cases. However 4670K (and even many lower models) remains great gaming CPUs and probably would not hinder your enjoyment of the game. Star Citizen is still in alpha and nobody really knows...

Game release set for 2015.

When that time comes, upgrade your rig with enthusiast grade hardware based on what specs you want to play with.

Any high end hardware purchased today will only run the game at medium.

Sorry to say, but you can't "future proof" your computer. Today's hardware will likely be inadequate even the higher end hardware is set to struggle.

I'm planning on waiting on the graphics card upgrade, but I need to build a new PC, so I'm looking to find the best CPU I can atm, (not extreme editions) because I'm going to be at uni in 2 years, and not be able to afford to build another one.

I'm planning on waiting on the graphics card upgrade, but I need to build a new PC, so I'm looking to find the best CPU I can atm, (not extreme editions) because I'm going to be at uni in 2 years, and not be able to afford to build another one.

If you had to build this computer today and hope that it runs an extremely demanding game due out in nearly 2 years... I might go with an AMD 8350 because it has 8 cores. A game like Star Citizen will most definitely utilize an 8 core cpu. While the architecture on amd's cpu isn't as fast, on multi-threaded applications it's tough to beat. Star Citizen, and potentially the future of PC gaming is heading towards multi-thread optimized games which will take advantage of an 8 core cpu. If that turns out to be the case, in two years an 8 core amd cpu *should* last longer than a 4 core 4770k.

With that said, Star Citizen aims at destroying the next generation of CPU and GPU's, it will be the title to really push the limits and raise the bar in terms of hardware. I simply cannot recommend any build with today's hardware.

If you are on such a budget, why not live with what you have now, and save the upgrade for a year or two. Or get a cheap build today, and an entirely overhauled build when star citizen is released.

You can pick up some quality second hand parts from people who upgraded from sandy bridge or ivy bridge to haswell. Both sandy and Ivy are fully capable of playing anything out there today and can be had at a fraction of new haswells costs. Combine that with a 7950 for under $200, to top that off you could even mine cryptocurrencies and let your GPU help you pay for upgrades.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

SAO correct?

SAO correct?

my avatar? correct ^_^

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Just to add, apparently I didn't pay attention properly while reading this  but STar Citizen will defininitely use 8+ threads because the CryEngine Physics Engine is CPU-based instead of GPU-based, since I'm working with the engine myself I've read all the documentation; however I don't believe it ends at 8 threads as CryTek has not specified exactly how many it uses but it's been confirmed to use 8.