NEED A BADASS ROUTER

admiraleddy24

I need a new router, I have 12+ wireless devices connected to my current one (Netgear R7000) at any given time, and range and connection are dropping out. This also isn't counting the wired Ethernet devices I also have connected to it. want a new one that supports a ton of devices with no drops/slowdowns, the best range. Willing to spend up to 350 ish. Any ideas? Looking at this D-Link AC3200 Triple Band Router right now.

Just now, Sam Z Man said:

I would just buy a few different good routers and put them on different channels.

Yeah see I want this network to be seamless. I don't want to be having to log on one and log off and log on.

5 minutes ago, JaredM54 said:

Sounds like you just need a new access point, not a router. Look at Ubiquiti stuff.

If you use all the same access points around your house, then it should allow roaming. Or you can just go with a very good access point. Ubiquity does enterprise grade equipment witch means it should be able to get you going with all of your devices. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Check out the new line from Asus and their "seamless transfer" infrastructure. Luke did a video on it during CES.

Also, what is your technical comfort level? Having multiple AP with 1 controller will get you better performance, but will be harder to set up.

9 hours ago, Sam Z Man said:

I would just buy a few different good routers and put them on different channels.

To be honest that is a pretty terrible idea: he'll end up with multiple lease tables, routers that won't talk to each other and NAT for days.

As suggested, you're better off looking at dedicated access points. However before you even do that, have you looked at your current channel settings and interference in the area?

@Windspeed36

To be fair I think @Sam Z Man was on the right track but just got confused by the terminology. Especially given the talk about putting them on different channels (since when do routers have channels?). Having multiple access points whether they are actually access points or "routers" running in access point mode is a good idea. That's effectively what tri-band access points are minus the advantage of being able to move them to another location.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

6 minutes ago, Trikein said:

Whaaa? Since Wifi was invented? See here.

Thanks for proving my point ;)

edit: Just to make things clear
xDSL/Fibre/HFC -> Modem -> Ethernet
Network A (i.e. the internet) -> Router -> Network B
Ethernet -> Access Point -> Wireless devices
Ethernet -> Switch -> More Ethernet

What is commonly sold as a "router" is usually a router, access point, switch combo. Sometimes it also has a modem built in. A router does not have "channels".

200_s.gif

Edited by skywake
clarification

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing