CROSSFIRE OR NOT TO CROSSFIRE, That is the Question

GollyWog

Hello, i currently have a R9 380x in my system if i wanted to upgrade should i either buy another more expensive more powerful card to replace it or should i buy another 380x and run in crossfire mode, FYI i have an appropriate power supply just wanted to information and knowledge.

Don't crossfire. You only see a benefit in games that support it, and you uses twice the power and generate twice the heat.

Sell the 380x and get a better single card.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I dont think its worth it to crossfire that card, especially since some games dont support it, or dont support it well and then you left without a lot of the benefits. Selling it and getting a better single GPU is a much better decision.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

380x is very recent card, just wait until pascal/polaris and get one high end card.

It generally better to buy one better card than two lesser ones.

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

Why not? It makes your system look bad ass, and the majority of games and applications will support it. Wait for the card to go on sale or something

5 minutes ago, GollyWog said:

Hello, i currently have a R9 380x in my system if i wanted to upgrade should i either buy another more expensive more powerful card to replace it or should i buy another 380x and run in crossfire mode, FYI i have an appropriate power supply just wanted to information and knowledge.

I'd rather not.  Honestly, you'll just end up with micro-stuttering and on top of that, games that don't support dual-gpu setups will run as poorly as if you just had a single card.  If you really want an upgrade, I'd flip the 380x and get something more powerful.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Just now, thatguyyouknow75 said:

Why not? It makes your system look bad ass, and the majority of games and applications will support it. Wait for the card to go on sale or something

the extra electricity, tons of extra heat, for minimal gain over a better single GPU and it looks a little cooler?

Crossfiring 380Xs just isn't the wisest decision. I'd only ever crossfire a high end card like 980 tis or Furys.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

3 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

the extra electricity, tons of extra heat, for minimal gain over a better single GPU and it looks a little cooler?

Crossfiring 380Xs just isn't the wisest decision. I'd only ever crossfire a high end card like 980 tis or Furys.

Electricity is cheap assuming he has the proper psu, and there isn't minimal gain, I've built systems with lower end cards sli/xfire and they saw great improvement in the majority of applications. I'm running dual 970s and have never ran into an instance where I felt I didn't have enough power

4 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

Minimal gains? Most games benefit from SLI/Crossfire and it's not "minimally." For electricity, getting a better single GPU might cause additional electricity to be consumed too.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Depends on how much you can get for your current card, if you can get a good price for it sell, and get a fury series or 980 series card....if not find another cheap 380x and crossfire them, The issues with crossfire are massively over exaggerated, I have 400 or so games on my accounts (origin, steam, uplay) the only two i can think of that flatout didn't work with my 7970 in crossfire, where Batman Arkham knight and the golf club.

A few had micro stutter, these where solved using Raedon pro though...

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

I remember when i crossfire my 270x back in the day. It did make my system look awesome, but ... not really better performance on almost any game

If you bought it really recently, you might be able to get a refund :P  The best of all options.  However, I'd suggest waiting for the next-gen stuff as the 380x should be fast enough for all of your non-4K gaming.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

50 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Minimal gains? Most games benefit from SLI/Crossfire and it's not "minimally." For electricity, getting a better single GPU might cause additional electricity to be consumed too.

Most games huh? So I guess I imagined running crossfire with a 390/290 and not having a single game in my Steam Library benefit from it. /s

Big difference between the wattage used by a top tier graphics card and two mid level. Especially since we're talking about AMD. Also with two cards the air available for cooling is severely restricted, crossfire/SLI is best saved for top cards utilizing liquid cooling.

But I'll offer some evidence.

7 minutes ago, App4that said:

Most games huh? So I guess I imagined running crossfire with a 390/290 and not having a single game in my Steam Library benefit from it. /s

Big difference between the wattage used by a top tier graphics card and two mid level. Especially since we're talking about AMD. Also with two cards the air available for cooling is severely restricted, crossfire/SLI is best saved for top cards utilizing liquid cooling.

http://www.eteknix.com/sapphire-tri-x-r9-390x-8gb-crossfirex-review/

There's my counter to your first statement. Only game that didn't benefit from it was Arkham Knight. A higher performing GPU still has the potential to pull more power.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

http://www.eteknix.com/sapphire-tri-x-r9-390x-8gb-crossfirex-review/

There's my counter to your first statement. A higher performing GPU still has the potential to pull more power.

And what of the top card in the supposed crossfire set up, what about it's operating temperatures? And the power usage of the bottom card even when not utilized by the game? And where is a list of games that benefit from crossfire, not just have a crossfire profile?

Even a single 390x is substantially better than two 380x's when viewed from a overall prospective. And we haven't discussed the difference in VRAM. ROTTR uses all the VRAM you can throw at it. If you find a game that will reward your investment in two 380x's, it will laugh at the 4g of VRAM offered.

Sorry, in this case you're wrong. A single card is the better choice even when just looking at the next year of use.

5 minutes ago, App4that said:

And what of the top card in the supposed crossfire set up, what about it's operating temperatures? And the power usage of the bottom card even when not utilized by the game? And where is a list of games that benefit from crossfire, not just have a crossfire profile?

Even a single 390x is substantially better than two 380x's when viewed from a overall prospective. And we haven't discussed the difference in VRAM. ROTTR uses all the VRAM you can throw at it. If you find a game that will reward your investment in two 380x's, it will laugh at the 4g of VRAM offered.

Sorry, in this case you're wrong. A single card is the better choice even when just looking at the next year of use.

So what happens if someone wants a Fury X? Are you going to tell them to avoid it because of the lesser VRAM?

You can gain additional performance from Crossfire/SLI setups, and I never mentioned anything about heat. I talked about performance and power draw, and really, some people value performance over power draw anyways.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

So what happens if someone wants a Fury X? Are you going to tell them to avoid it because of the lesser VRAM?

No, I really don't think I'm wrong. You can gain additional performance from Crossfire/SLI setups, and I never mentioned anything about heat. I talked about performance and power draw, and really, some people value performance over power draw anyways.

Good point.

I do tell people to avoid the Fury X, and not for any other reason than cost/performance and the limitation of the 4g of VRAM. Sad thing is they crossfire like beasts. But heres what the 4g of VRAM does to the Fury X.