Need quieter fans...

iamdarkyoshi
Go to solution Solved by iamdarkyoshi,

Actually, right now, my fans are running quiet enough to be basically silent. I MIGHT adjust the fan curves on my controller to make the fans run at their min. speed at 25 degrees, and make it so when the PC starts, it runs the fans fast for a second or two, just to make sure that I avoid that "start voltage"

I will look into the noctua fans or the bequiet fans and make a decision whether I want to buy them or mod the fan controller to be smarter.

So I currently have five enermax magma fans in my PC, 3 pin. Because these fans have a max speed of 1800 RPM, when undervolted, they have a pretty high start RPM.

IE with the fans stopped, as I raise the voltage, they finally reach a point that they can start, and they are pretty loud at this "start voltage" After they start, then the voltage can be cranked down and they run pretty slow.

I have a temperature based fan controller I made, and it has a fanless mode. So under like 50 degrees the fans do not start. But the problem is that once I have enough heat for the fans to start (their minumum start voltage) it sounds like a jet engine for about 20 seconds and then goes pretty quiet, running temps well under 40 degrees most of the time. After running for long enough, the fan controller will reach a low enough voltage to where the fans do not run anymore, and the process repeats.

If I were to buy new fans (for the third time now...) what should I go for that has good static pressure, maxes out at like 1000RPM or so, can be VOLTAGE CONTROLLED, and is cheap?

Corsair SP120mm

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 3.4ghz CPU COOLER: Cryorig H7 w/ Red Corsair SP120mm  MOBO: MSI SLI Krait Edition Z170 MEMORY: G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4) Storage: Kingston V300 120gb, WD 1TB GPU: MSI R9 390X CASE: Phantom 410 (ew) PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 550w CASE FANS: 4 CORSAIR SP120mm MONITOR: LG 25UM67 KEYBOARD: Das4 Ultimate Cherry MX Blue MOUSE: Deathadder Chroma Left-Handed AUDIO: Sennheiser HD598 Black, Astro A40s

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

So I currently have five enermax magma fans in my PC, 3 pin. Because these fans have a max speed of 1800 RPM, when undervolted, they have a pretty high start RPM.

IE with the fans stopped, as I raise the voltage, they finally reach a point that they can start, and they are pretty loud at this "start voltage" After they start, then the voltage can be cranked down and they run pretty slow.

I have a temperature based fan controller I made, and it has a fanless mode. So under like 50 degrees the fans do not start. But the problem is that once I have enough heat for the fans to start (their minumum start voltage) it sounds like a jet engine for about 20 seconds and then goes pretty quiet, running temps well under 40 degrees most of the time. After running for long enough, the fan controller will reach a low enough voltage to where the fans do not run anymore, and the process repeats.

If I were to buy new fans (for the third time now...) what should I go for that has good static pressure, maxes out at like 1000RPM or so, can be VOLTAGE CONTROLLED, and is cheap?

If you can afford it, noctua fans are pretty great.

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

be quiet Pure Wings 2 or if you want to spend more money, silent wings 2

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Just now, ★ Coups ★ said:

Just now, ChronicGenocide said:

If you can afford it, noctua fans are pretty great.

Might actually go for some bequiet or noctua fans, I do have a PC up on craigslist, once it sells, I hopefully have a spare 500 bucks to spend

noctua redux if you can't get down with the brown

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

gelid silent are as quite as it gets then scythe karma then noctua http://www.quietpc.com/120mmfans

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

BeQuiet! Pure Wings 2 are insanely quiet and I can only imagine the Silent wings 2 are quiter

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Actually, right now, my fans are running quiet enough to be basically silent. I MIGHT adjust the fan curves on my controller to make the fans run at their min. speed at 25 degrees, and make it so when the PC starts, it runs the fans fast for a second or two, just to make sure that I avoid that "start voltage"

I will look into the noctua fans or the bequiet fans and make a decision whether I want to buy them or mod the fan controller to be smarter.

Just now, GeorgeKellow said:

Or get a fan controller and manually turn them down 

Speedfan does this well, or if you want your case fans to adjust depending on your CPU temp, go with MSI command center and allow it to auto tune.

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

So high static pressure and silent? I'm a total fan of EK's Vardar Fans, if you get the F1 versions they have a top RPM of 1150 and are therefore very, very quiet. They are also designed for radiators, so yeah, really great.

1 minute ago, GeorgeKellow said:

Or get a fan controller and manually turn them down 

I have a fan controller. The problem is that the fans have a minimum voltage that they can start at, and this minumum voltage results in a rather high speed. Once started, then I can ramp the speed down.

how about noiseblockers? the eloops and the black silent pro would be fine

If you can make it fit, the Thermalright TY147-A is extraordinary value for money. It's slightly bigger than a 140mm fan but actually has 120mm mounting holes. It's similar in design and performance to the Noctua NF-A15, the main difference being the fact that Noctua uses the SSOP bearing, in effect a proprietary variant of the dluid dynamic bearing, and the Thermalright uses ball bearings, I believe. I have the higher speed TY143-variant and those too are excellent, although not quite what you're looking for.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Overall I would recomend Notcua or BeQuiet! fan with a fan controller. They are very quiet!

Shhhh!

Just now, 0ld_Chicken said:

noctua redux if you can't get down with the brown

Nice profile pic mate.

1 minute ago, ManWithBeard1990 said:

If you can make it fit, the Thermalright TY147-A is extraordinary value for money. It's slightly bigger than a 140mm fan but actually has 120mm mounting holes. It's similar in design and performance to the Noctua NF-A15, the main difference being the fact that Noctua uses the SSOP bearing, in effect a proprietary variant of the dluid dynamic bearing, and the Thermalright uses ball bearings, I believe. I have the higher speed TY143-variant and those too are excellent, although not quite what you're looking for.

Wouldnt be good on radiators as they wouldnt fit

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I have a fan controller. The problem is that the fans have a minimum voltage that they can start at, and this minumum voltage results in a rather high speed. Once started, then I can ramp the speed down.

acrtic pwm fans are good and very quiet, now my power supply fan is loudest

Noctua is the generally the most silent and best airflow company, however, if the colour scheme makes your eyes bleed, Be Quiet! does a good job too.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

22 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Wouldnt be good on radiators as they wouldnt fit

Didn't realise it was for a rad.  For radiators Noctua NF-F12 are probably the best but as a budget option the Bitfenix Spectre (non-pro) is probably not bad (though possibly a little slow for radiator duty)

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

1 minute ago, ManWithBeard1990 said:

Didn't realise it was for a rad.  For radiators Noctua NF-F12 are probably the best but as a budget option the Bitfenix Spectre (non-pro) is probably not bad (though possibly a little slow for radiator duty)

I dont OC on this machine, mu current fans at like 600-800RPM is enough ingame to cool my PC, and 0RPM is enough to cool it while browsing the web