Things I learned building my first computer

RustyZombie

1.  That computer components aren't as fragile as my ex-wife's feelings.

2.  That if you have longer fingernails on your dominant hand, it can make it difficult to handle various parts, cables, and especially screws.

3.  If you happen to get thermal paste on your fingers, DON'T TASTE IT!  That stuff tastes worse than earwax.

4.  If you find that you need to banish a cat from the room while you build, an empty bottle is very handy should you need to pee.

5.  It may not be a good idea to let people know you built your own computer.  The annoying people at work will think you can fix whatever they have broken, and expect you to do it for free.

6.  That I appreciate the small form factor of a laptop more than I thought.  But I don't regret going with what I did.

7.  Should I build again in the future, to find out if the case fans plug into the motherboard or the power supply.  One of those little details that is easy for a newbie to overlook.

I know the feel of people thinking I can fix any computer. I fixed an unmountable boot volume error and now my entire family wants me to fix their stuff. I should charge them.

also I never had the thought to try thermal paste, but now I kinda want to

The smartest idiot you will ever find

7.  Should I build again in the future, to find out if the case fans plug into the motherboard or the power supply.  One of those little details that is easy for a newbie to overlook.

Most mobos have one or two maybe more fan headers and you can get adapters to plug case fans into an extra connector on the power supply 

If I use words like probably or most likely, it is because I dislike certainty. These words can probably be omitted and the sentence read as a certainty.

Most mobos have one or two maybe more fan headers and you can get adapters to plug case fans into an extra connector on the power supply 

My motherboard has three headers for fans, and I was just looking into whether I could get some sort of adapter, or if I had to just get different case fans that plug into the motherboard.

I know the feel of people thinking I can fix any computer. I fixed an unmountable boot volume error and now my entire family wants me to fix their stuff. I should charge them.

also I never had the thought to try thermal paste, but now I kinda want to

I should have already known better.  There is one coworker that was having trouble with her computer.  From what she described, it sounded like a problem that I had encountered previously, and thought I could fix it in a few minutes.  I spent three hours cleaning out some ransomware.  Now whenever there is a problem she expects me to fix it.  And there are a lot of problems given the computer's age.  The latest issue is she's filled up the 75GB hard drive.  She wants me to make more room, she doesn't want to erase anything, and she doesn't want to spend any money...

Since I went to Linux Mint, and I legitimately have no experience with Windows 8 or 10, I hoping to use the excuse that I don't know Windows anymore.

"Computer components aren't as fragile as my ex-wife's feelings."  -RustyZombie, 2K16

Your profile gif goes perfectly with that

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 3.4ghz CPU COOLER: Cryorig H7 w/ Red Corsair SP120mm  MOBO: MSI SLI Krait Edition Z170 MEMORY: G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4) Storage: Kingston V300 120gb, WD 1TB GPU: MSI R9 390X CASE: Phantom 410 (ew) PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 550w CASE FANS: 4 CORSAIR SP120mm MONITOR: LG 25UM67 KEYBOARD: Das4 Ultimate Cherry MX Blue MOUSE: Deathadder Chroma Left-Handed AUDIO: Sennheiser HD598 Black, Astro A40s