How do you move Windows 7 from HDD to SSD

reapersivan

Hello I recently purchased a Crucial BX200 240gb SSD. I've been wanting to move windows 7 over but don't know how. With my SSD I also got a program called Acronics True Image HD 2015. It says I can clone the disc. I have tried it and I get either the automatic or Manual option. Any idea on how to only move Windows 7 without having to do a fresh reinstall?

You can clone drives. But id still recommend a fresh install.

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Hello I recently purchased a Crucial BX200 240gb SSD. I've been wanting to move windows 7 over but don't know how. With my SSD I also got a program called Acronics True Image HD 2015. It says I can clone the disc. I have tried it and I get either the automatic or Manual option. Any idea on how to only move Windows 7 without having to do a fresh reinstall?

If you do a fresh reinstall, you will not need a new key (windows knows it is the same PC because of the motherboard, so the same key will work).

Other than that, there are ways to clone the drive, but a reinstall is the best option

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

If you do a fresh reinstall, you will not need a new key (windows knows it is the same PC because of the motherboard, so the same key will work).

Other than that, there are ways to clone the drive, but a reinstall is the best option

so fresh reinstall means that i need to redownload all of my Steam Games and Such? 

you should do a clean install now, otherwise you will likely have issues in the future and then be forced to do a clean install to get things working again

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

so fresh reinstall means that i need to redownload all of my Steam Games and Such? 

yes and all of the other programs on the laptop that aren't a part of windows.

Well, your steam games can be placed on a separate drive. 

you can in theory boot off the SSD and leave the HDD as is, install steam on the SSD and have it use the library from the HDD

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

SO should I even back up anything? I also have microsoft office, but I don't remember they Key.

I would have assumed Crucial would have included some sort of cloning software, such as Acronis True Image.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

I would have assumed Crucial would have included some sort of cloning software, such as Acronis True Image.

they did

SO should I even back up anything? I also have microsoft office, but I don't remember they Key.

There are programs to help find your Office CD-Key.

You will lose all installed software yes. If youre worried about steam games, back them up in steam onto another drive.

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Clone that sucker and boot it up.  I can't see it being that difficult.  If you're not happy afterwards, put a fresh Windows install on the SSD and then use the old hard drive as a secondary drive.  I don't use Steam, but I doubt it'd be difficult to copy the games over.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

Acronis will clone the entire hard drive.  An exact copy. 

Acronis will clone the entire hard drive.  An exact copy. 

My HDD has 700gb in use out of 1tb and my SSD only holds 240gb. Would i just need to exclude games and other files which are not windows related?

Well, a typical Windows install, even after a few years usage, should be less than 50gb in size.  I'm not really sure how Acronis handles cloning a larger drive to a smaller one.  Obviously, you can't stick 700gb into 240gb, but perhaps you could move all those games to another location and minimizing your current drive's contents as much as possible.

There are programs to help find your Office CD-Key.

You will lose all installed software yes. If youre worried about steam games, back them up in steam onto another drive.

Alright so I cloned it and it is all good, DO I have to delete all the data on my HDD or what? I plan to keep some steam games there.

Well, your steam games can be placed on a separate drive. 

you can in theory boot off the SSD and leave the HDD as is, install steam on the SSD and have it use the library from the HDD

I cloned it over to an ssd and it was a success, Is it fine if I delete all of the data on my HDD?