Has Anyone Found Some Hardware Treasure Before?

EChondo

So I know this guy that works at the Irvine Company in Southern California, he has said that they are switching from regular 3.5" hard drives to 2.5" SSDs and that the desktop guy doing the swaps didn't want to hold onto the hard drives, because of this he said if anyone wants them, they can have them. My friend called dibs and brought me some of the drives that they were going to throw out!

Picture;

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/8306/imag0316c.jpg

So my friend brought me 2x Seagate 1TB drives(two platters each) and 7x Western Digital 1TB drives(one platter each)! I ended up testing the write speeds on them, the Seagate drives were maxing out at around 115MB/s and the WD drives were reaching upwards to 180MB/s-190MB/s! Jackpot!

Has anyone found some treasure in computer hardware before? I don't know if my friend kept some for himself, but nine free 1TB drives!? Count me in! I don't want to seem like I'm gloating or anything, I'm just surprised and excited :D

dude if you have any extras feel free to send me some xD

If I have any left I will consider it. I am getting some of my friends into PC gaming and this will save them money for a better GPU/CPU and I might be upgrading my own system lol.

That's freakin' smurf!

Haha! I get the reference xD Would have preferred "baller" but smurf will do. :D

That's a really good find. I got a XFi soundcard and a sweet little Siig Minitouch keyboard for about $12 total at this one PC recycle shop not too long ago. I also got 3 Microsoft Wheel Mouse Opticals at a Value Village for $7. Still cant beat 9 free hard drives though.

.....So, about that favor you owe me... :P

My dad got an old workstation from his work with a Xeon inside, a graphics card (I can't remember which sort) and a couple of HDD's inside for £20 when they were moving.

He also took a load of ethernet cables and a 18 inch monitor, which they were going to throw away.

I WISH!, id probably loose it if i found something like that haha, but if you have any free drives your going to give away definitely count me in, ill also pay shipping! :)

Intel Core I5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz w/ Hyper 212 EVO Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H 8GB Patriot Viper 3 1600Mhz CL9 Gigabyte Windforce 3X 7950 @ 1100/1550 Samsung 830 128GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB Fractal Design ​Define R4 Seasonic M12II 750Watt

i went to goodwill and got a linksys 8 port switch brand new in box, two new red SATA cables, and a new DVI cable for only 11 USD

Is that a condom in that black plastic thingy.
No, it's a Zeiss Pre-Moistened Lens Cloths Wipe. I wear glasses

i went to goodwill and got a linksys 8 port switch brand new in box, two new red SATA cables, and a new DVI cable for only 11 USD
Damn not bad! Those small switches are pretty pricey...

• 2 months later...

I found a VERY OLD Red Fox AMD board, a 15" LCD (broken), two IDE HDDs, 1 CD-ROM, 512 mb DDR Ram, generic 7.1 sound card, and a GeForce MX4000 AGP Graphics card (the ghetto one) on my room, and I'm not throwing it away, for the sake of tech memorabilla.

Back in the  90`s my dad was the ``computer guy`` at his work, so he always came home with new hardware that was paid for by the company credit card. Pretty  much all the newest gear back then was at my house.

I am now 32 and he is retired...so there goes that hook up... :(

Back in the  90`s my dad was the ``computer guy`` at his work, so he always came home with new hardware that was paid for by the company credit card. Pretty  much all the newest gear back then was at my house.

I am now 32 and he is retired...so there goes that hook up... :(

now its your turn to return the favor to your child/future child :D

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I found a ibm model M at a yardsale but didn't have the $5 to get it and when I got back from an atm it was gone.

Spoiler

AMD R7 1800X, H100i GTX, AMD Radeon RED DEVIL 5700XT, ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING, 16gb DDR4 3000, 1Tb, 2 X SEAGATE 1Tb, Coolermaster V1200 Platinum, NZXT H440 red/black, STEEL SERIES AEROX 3, DUCKY X POWER COLOR RED DEVIL KEYBOARD, Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, LG ULTRAWIDE.

My friends and I would always cruise around in the spring time when everyone is cleaning and putting junk on the side of the road.  We would always check for computers or monitors and stuff just to screw around with.  So we happened across an older tower.  It looked like a complete setup and it appeared to be in working order.  We got it home and hooked up all the peripherals and it fired right up.  Obviously the first things we checked were the browser history and the "my pictures" folder to see if there was any "good" on it haha.  We found pictures of our high school spanish teacher!!  Nothing risque or scandalous or anything but we were definitely able to creep her out the next Monday when we saw her at school.  So not technically PC treasure....but still kind of a fun find.  I still use that case when I'm building junk rigs out of spare parts :)

I bought a Razer Diamondback back in the day from my friend for 3$ since he ''got a better mouse'' I still have that mouse and I use it for my laptop, Sweet deal, 3$ for 8 years of mouse.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K @4.5GHz          RAM: 2x4GB Crucial BallistiX Sport                   Drive: WD 500GB Black

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G41                       Graphics Card: XFX HD Radeon 7950             PSU: XFX ProSeries 550w

Case: Corsair Carbide 300R                      CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212             Monitor: Packard Bell 24''