Super cheap 8 core.

Now if only I didn't buy a i3-6100 and a Z170 board just a few days ago... I would have jumped for this instantly.

Want to build yourself a NAS? Check here!

Oh damn $5! 

Every dollar counts. Also anyone know if these can be overcloked. I know the X58 Xeons can be overclocked using the BLCK, is it the same on X79?

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

Well just found it cheaper again. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-CPU-E5-2670-SR0KX-2-60GHz-Eight-Core-LGA2011-20MB-CPU-Processor-QTY-1-/262118101167?hash=item3d0774d0af:g:pdwAAOSw~bFWMpH3

If I would be able to get a good OC I may go with this because my X58 Xeon build just died. 

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

I have not tried overclocking it yet. Tonight when I get home I think I will play around with it and I will post some benchmark numbers. 

Xeon e5-2670, Intel DX79sr, 16gb g.skill Ares, evga sc 780ti, antec 750 80 plus gold, Phantek Entho pro case

damn... $70! for an 8 core, hyper threaded, beast of a chip. 

Xeon e5-2670, Intel DX79sr, 16gb g.skill Ares, evga sc 780ti, antec 750 80 plus gold, Phantek Entho pro case

UK links please, this could make a tasty upgrade, only if I can find a compatible mobo for a good price too.

Linus is my fetish.

Bear in mind you have to drop the cash on a (rare and therefore even more expensive) X79 motherboard. Not saying it's not still a great idea to pick one up if you're building, but... it's something to think about.

What on earth is making these things go so cheap?

The same thing that makes a $1K LGA771 Xeon cost $50?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

UK links please, this could make a tasty upgrade, only if I can find a compatible mobo for a good price too.

I don't know how to find a uk link. 

Yeah I here you there. A while ago I scored a e5 2660 engineering sample for $160ish. It was the cheapest buy it now 8 core I could find at the time and the fact that it's an ES is cool to me.

I should have gone for the $250 4790K ES when I had the chance-ES are normally binned the highest.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

The same thing that makes a $1K LGA771 Xeon cost $50?

But those are way older, with far lower IPC. These 8-cores on the other hand are quite a bit more powerful - this $80 processor (and I looked, they are selling these for $80-90) will lay waste to everything that isn't an Extreme-series processor in multiple threads. It'll bulldoze Bulldozer.

I want one to replace my 2600K now, it would be an epic part to use for Blender.

Well I found them on ebay, but can't find any suitable motherboards for under £200 doh.

Linus is my fetish.

Well I found them on ebay, but can't find any suitable motherboards for under £200 doh.

The mobos have skyrocketed since these have swamped the market. Think total cost / perfomance and it is still a good deal. Good luck.

Not worth it with a mobo coming from an I7 980 though.

Linus is my fetish.

Not worth it with a mobo coming from an I7 980 though.

probably not. but from nothing, yes.

Where was this thing when I was building my current machine!? Darn I could have gotten much better performance from of these things vs my 1231v3 that I got... RIP

So thanks for reading guys, if this post sucked, I'm not sure what you can do, but if you liked it, go 'head and hit that like button, or maybe add me as a friend. Otherwise, go subscribe to LinusTechTips on YouTube, follow them on Twitch, follow @LinusTech on Twitter, and support them by using their affiliate code on Amazon, buying a cool T-shirt, or supporting them directly on this community forum.

Where was this thing when I was building my current machine!? Darn I could have gotten much better performance from of these things vs my 1231v3 that I got... RIP

Mind if i ask how much you paid for that chip?

It had better... I really want one now. I should have gotten this for my brother instead of an i3 and a B150 motherboard... I feel so stupid...

Not that he would ever actually use that much power anyway :P

bear in mind in games the i3 might be faster

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

bear in mind in games the i3 might be faster

It turbos to 3.3 20 mb cache. 

It turbos to 3.3 20 mb cache. 

many i3s have higher frequencies than that at stock.

Don't get me wrong, the xeon is obviously a far superior cpu, but specifically in low threaded games it may just be a little worse than the i3

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

80$??? And it actually works?

The E5 2670 was an EXTREAMLY popular server processor and deployed into a LOT of systems.  We're at about the time when a lot of top of the line companies could be phasing these out, even if they're perfectly serviceable, so they're hitting the used market enmass where smaller companies or individuals can pick them up.

many i3s have higher frequencies than that at stock.

Don't get me wrong, the xeon is obviously a far superior cpu, but specifically in low threaded games it may just be a little worse than the i3

I understand this, I went from an i5 3470 to this chip and expected a small dip in single threaded game performance, but the difference in every other area including just launching programs is remarkable. It is an extremely fast chip even at 2.6 ghz. 51.8gts of mem bandwidth on the quad channel isn't bad either. for you devs out there.

I understand this, I went from an i5 3470 to this chip and expected a small dip in single threaded game performance, but the difference in every other area including just launching programs is remarkable. It is an extremely fast chip even at 2.6 ghz. 51.8gts of mem bandwidth on the quad channel isn't bad either. for you devs out there.

I'd love to get one right now, sadly I don't live in the US

sudo chmod -R 000 /*