Super cheap 8 core.

I'd love to get one right now, sadly I don't live in the US

hrm where in middle earth exactly is mordor? :)

Xeon e5-2670, Intel DX79sr, 16gb g.skill Ares, evga sc 780ti, antec 750 80 plus gold, Phantek Entho pro case

Xeon e5 2670 on sale buy it now on ebay $80 dollars. I picked one up a month ago for 110, the circuits were beautiful and it runs like a champ. Is there a used chip out there that could beat that deal? mine scores 1060 on cinebench. 20 mb cache.. 8 core 16 threads. domination.

Aren't the E5's made for dual socket systems? Need to brush back up on Xeons.

I7 5820k, Asus X99 Sabertooth, 980Ti Classified, 32gb Gskill Ripjaws 4, Corsair Rm1000i, Samsung 950 Pro, Custom Loop Xspc Cpu Block Ek Gpu Block, Windows 10, Define S. Acer Predator XB271HU

Aren't the E5's made for dual socket systems? Need to brush back up on Xeons.

They do have the capability. if it is a e5-2somthing the 2 stands for dual cpu compatible. an e5 1231 is only a single cpu capable chip. hence the "1"

Xeon e5-2670, Intel DX79sr, 16gb g.skill Ares, evga sc 780ti, antec 750 80 plus gold, Phantek Entho pro case

South east

I will have to remember to steer clear of that area. Thanks for clarifying.聽

Now if only I didn't buy a i3-6100 and a Z170 board just a few days ago... I would have jumped for this instantly.

return it.聽

The E5 2670 was an EXTREAMLY popular server processor and deployed into a LOT of systems.聽 We're at about the time when a lot of top of the line companies could be phasing these out, even if they're perfectly serviceable, so they're hitting the used market enmass where smaller companies or individuals can pick them up.

I wonder if that means in another 4-7 yrs, people who have X99 motherboards will be able to pickup cheap haswell-ep and broadwell-ep 10/12 core CPUs.聽

Mind if i ask how much you paid for that chip?

I paid list for it, off of Newegg. ($250)

So thanks for reading guys, if this post sucked, I'm not sure what you can do, but if you liked it, go 'head and hit that like button, or maybe add me as a friend. Otherwise, go subscribe to LinusTechTips on YouTube, follow them on Twitch, follow @LinusTech on Twitter, and support them by using their affiliate code on Amazon, buying a cool T-shirt, or supporting them directly on this community forum.

I wonder if that means in another 4-7 yrs, people who have X99 motherboards will be able to pickup cheap haswell-ep and broadwell-ep 10/12 core CPUs.聽

Most likely. But in the mean time... 8 is enough... like the 80's sitcom. :)

8350 isn't an 8 core CPU. 4 modules 8 threads.

ehh, that's kind of a debatable grey area that is too trivial a matter to start an argument over. But I agree, it's not really an 8-core. Although it was sold and marketed as one, because the definition of a CPU "core" has always been so vague and undefined. Because of that it sold a shitload on release with AMD fanboys circlejerking about how fast it was. But then Sandy Bridge came along and whupped its ass.

What ever was the most common ones will be the cheapest.聽 They were the most produced, the most bought, and the most being retired.聽 On the other hand the top of the line chips of the same series were put in VERY expensive servers and are sought after parts to keep other 'older machines' cooking for more years, so that blazing top of the line stuff.聽 If 10 or 12 cores are the very common server chips, than yeah, you'll see them turn up.聽 You can even buy full on dual socket 1U E5-2670 servers for like $1800.聽 Used of course.

https://theserverstore.com/content/dell-poweredge-r620

Like this one, we ordered some of these for rendering at a small VFX company I worked at.聽 $1800 USD is not bad for a Dual E5-2670 1U server that's ready to go as one unit.

ehh, that's kind of a debatable grey area that is too trivial a matter to start an argument over. But I agree, it's not really an 8-core. Although it was sold and marketed as one, because the definition of a CPU "core" has always been so vague and undefined. Because of that it sold a shitload on release with AMD fanboys circlejerking about how fast it was. But then Sandy Bridge came along and whupped its ass.

Yeah, its something like 8 cores that share cache or/and memory lanes or something like that. not quite sure.聽

What ever was the most common ones will be the cheapest.聽 They were the most produced, the most bought, and the most being retired.聽 On the other hand the top of the line chips of the same series were put in VERY expensive servers and are sought after parts to keep other 'older machines' cooking for more years, so that blazing top of the line stuff.聽 If 10 or 12 cores are the very common server chips, than yeah, you'll see them turn up.聽 You can even buy full on dual socket 1U E5-2670 servers for like $1800.聽 Used of course.

https://theserverstore.com/content/dell-poweredge-r620

Like this one, we ordered some of these for rendering at a small VFX company I worked at.聽 $1800 USD is not bad for a Dual E5-2670 1U server that's ready to go as one unit.

I'd rather use an aftermarket motherboard to try and overclock the CPU.聽

I'd rather use an aftermarket motherboard to try and overclock the CPU.聽

Yeah聽well聽servers like聽that聽are not聽designed聽for gaming and general usage. :P聽 They ship with 16mb Matrox chips for basic graphics and can only accommodate a very narrow range of single slot FirePro or Quadro graphics cards for compute purposes.聽 If you wanted a 'desktop', no, rack servers like that aren't the go to.聽 :P

However that company ALSO sells dual socket WORKSTATIONS. :)

I have not tried overclocking it yet. Tonight when I get home I think I will play around with it and I will post some benchmark numbers.聽

Any luck with the Overcloking?

My Work in Progress PC聽http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/聽<-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0聽https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox聽(Hopefully this one boots.)聽