Best amp and DAC for ~$300

matheislmarek
Go to solution Solved by SSL,

I don't know what headphones would be better though. I think that the M50xs are good enough for me.

Then be happy and save your money. SuicideAnomaly nailed it; either the Schiit stack or O2+ODAC would be a monumental waste of money for headphones like that. Especially the DACs, as the amount of improvement that comes from DAC upgrades is slim to none.

I wanted to upgrade my audio solution. Currently I use the M50xs (and occasionally my IE80s) plugged directly into the onboard output on my motherboard (Asus x99 deluxe). I was thinking about the schiit stack Magni + Modi or an Objective 2 and ODAC. Which one is better? Any other recommendations?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marek Matheisl

You really shouldn't require such hardware for those headphones. If I was in your situation, I would put the money towards a new pair of headphones instead. Your onboard audio will be sufficient for most headphones.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marek Matheisl

You really shouldn't require such hardware for those headphones. If I was in your situation, I would put the money towards a new pair of headphones instead. You're onboard audio will be sufficient for most headphones.

I don't know what headphones would be better though. I think that the M50xs are good enough for me.

Marek Matheisl

Then be happy and save your money. SuicideAnomaly nailed it; either the Schiit stack or O2+ODAC would be a monumental waste of money for headphones like that. Especially the DACs, as the amount of improvement that comes from DAC upgrades is slim to none.

Just buy a fidelio x2 if you have the money. Then go back and try to tell us how M50x was good enough for you