PS/2 vs USB keyboards

RustyZombie

The motherboard I chose has a PS/2 jack, and I realized that if I get a PS/2 keyboard, it would open up an extra USB port.  It's not like I'd use the PS/2 for anything else, and there are a lot of things you can use via USB.  Are there any other advantages or disadvantages to using the PS/2 for the keyboard?

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/official-mechanical-keyboard-guide#post_6009418

PS/2

Advantages:

• Supports full NKRO.
  • PS/2 keyboards aren't polled, but are completely interrupt based.
  • Impossible for it to be delayed by the USB bus being used by other devices.

Disadvantages:

• PS/2 is not natively designed to be hot-swappable, in some situations unplugging and replugging a PS/2 device into the computer will render it unusable until the system is restarted. This is not always the case however, if the system drivers recognize the device then this will not be an issue.
  • PS/2 connectors aren't as durable as some more modern connectors, as such they can be damaged from repeated unplugging/ replugging and suffer from bent or broken pins.

USB

Advantages:

• Easily hot-swappable due to the design of USB.
  • Much more popular interface in modern devices than PS/2

Disadvantages:

• Not as compatible with NKRO
  • Sometimes has issues with BIOS or waking up from sleep

The disadvantages of PS/2 is that it cannot be hot swapped and I don't think custom RGB will work. 

The disadvantages of PS/2 is that it cannot be hot swapped and I don't think custom RGB will work. 

What is RGB?

What is RGB?

Custom backlighting colour

Red, Green, Blue

Build: i5-4460 | GT 720 | Logitech G710+ Keyboard | Corsair M65 Mouse | Dell e2314h Monitor | Windows 10

Generic Dell: Mobo, 8gb RAM, 430w PSU, 1TB Storage, XPS 8700 Case

What is a good PS/2 keyboard that's modern?

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

I don't think they make many anymore. They are mostly just used for debugging since they always work

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

If you really wanted a keyboard to plug into your PS/2 slot, there are usb to ps/2 adapters.

There's probably some used PS/2 keyboards on Ebay or craigslist too, but they are usually older keyboards that might be a little bit junky. USB is the way to go, unless PS/2 is something that's necessary.

If you really wanted a keyboard to plug into your PS/2 slot, there are usb to ps/2 adapters.

There's probably some used PS/2 keyboards on Ebay or craigslist too, but they are usually older keyboards that might be a little bit junky. USB is the way to go, unless PS/2 is something that's necessary.

I don't think they make many anymore. They are mostly just used for debugging since they always work

IIRC, Unicomp still makes classic IBM keyboards. Pretty sure you can get them in USB or PS/2 variants.

Link: http://www.pckeyboard.com

Build: i5-4460 | GT 720 | Logitech G710+ Keyboard | Corsair M65 Mouse | Dell e2314h Monitor | Windows 10

Generic Dell: Mobo, 8gb RAM, 430w PSU, 1TB Storage, XPS 8700 Case

I still use an old benq keyboard and mouse, and I really like them. I can also play my games fine. The mouse is about 1000 dpi and the keyboard is scissor switch based.

everything works, and I can use my usb ports for stuff that NEEDS usb.

I think usb peripherals are actually a bad idea, because it takes up usb ports. Yes, probably ps/2 doesn't support RGB and all of these new features, but why don't they just make a BRANDNEW mouse/keyboard port? A port that DOES support RGB etc.