Computer randomly shuts off

cebear34
Go to solution Solved by DXMember,

it's probably the power supply

out of everything you mentioned power supply would be the first suspect

check your power cables and check the link in my signature about my dead power supply, which is sad

I am running windows 10 64 bit, 8 gigs of ram, intel pentium anniversary edition, ecs h81h3-a3 mobo (cpu and mobo to be upgraded soon), evga non-reference 750ti, and corsair cx 430 watt PS, and a 120 gig pny ssd.

The issue I'm having is it will randomly shut off. I've been running this build about a year and a half now and never had a problem but within the last few weeks it's been like this. I had been planning on upgrading my CPU and mobo because both are budget pieces of junk but I was hoping to make it to the summer before having to do this. Literally there is no warning to it shutting off. It posts just fine, then it will load up, sometimes it runs for days, sometimes I don't even get enough time to log in. After it shuts down it starts up, windows fails to load, shuts down again, then reposts and loads in fine. It's not an issue with things disconnecting as that would end in blue screen most of the time. I am unable to take any screen caps or screen vids of the issue as I don't have any warning for a cap and vids get corrupted with the random shut down. Any help is appreciated. If I can't solve it within a few days I'll just get the new cpu and mobo, stick the ssd in my nas and check that it's working fine, and do all the tests on the other components then do a fresh install of windows 10 and basically make a new computer out of it. 

Try a different outlet. This is very dangerous for your PC if it's loosing power like this. 

Perhaps your power going that outlet is fishy, or your PSU is going out. 

Power isn't something you wanna mess with, you're really lucky your PC isn't fried. 

it's probably the power supply

out of everything you mentioned power supply would be the first suspect

check your power cables and check the link in my signature about my dead power supply, which is sad

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

My grandmas computer was doing the same thing so i checked the event viewer and sure enough it said that there was some critical error with kernel power so i just replaced the power supply and bam it was fixed.  If you can turn your computer on long enough check event viewer and check for anything relating to something like that.

make sure the power cord in the back of the PSU is really plugged in

it said that there was some critical error with kernel power so i just replaced the power supply 

Luck that was the issue. Kernel power just tells you windows shut down unexpectedly, not that the PSU is at fault.

However in this case I would suspect eh PSU is the problem, as the CX series isn't good for gaming PCs.

Read more here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1431436/why-you-should-not-buy-a-corsair-cx

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

I figured it out. While I was swapping out a drive I tightened a Velcro strap too tight and pulled the 24 pin loose a little. My bad...lol