PC Freezing

loubot1

My computer every now and then freezes the screen, then 10 seconds later, the audio freezes and I have to restart my computer. I have no clue on what is going on with my computer, and I have tried different guides to source the problem to the situation.

PC Specs: 

Pentium G3258

MSI Z97 PC Mate

GTX 660

8GB HyperX RAM

Seagate 1TB HDD

I'm not sure if this is the right area to post in, but thank you anyway!

Does it only do it under load or is it completely random?

It happens sometimes when I'm in CSGO. It is always at the start of the round in freeze time when I'm sat there buying weapons. It happened just then when I was verifying some files for a game on steam. So yea I guess it's when it's under load!

But a coat over it and it shoud become warmer :P

Do you have any overclocks? If so then turn them off.

CPU: 6600K @ 4.6Ghz | COOLER: H100i GTX | MOBO: Asus Z170 AR | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB | 

CASE: Corsair 760T | PSU: Corsair RM750x | STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Seagate 2TB | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB | MOUSE: Deathadder Elite

or buy 4 gtx 480s and put them in SLI...

Jokes aside, turn off overclocks and it could also be something faulty ram or something with the GPU...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Do you have any overclocks? If so then turn them off.

If it was a problem with the overclock, then surely it would blue screen like it has done before? BTW it hasn't had a blue screen because of it for a long time, just freezing for an unknown reason.

or buy 4 gtx 480s and put them in SLI...

sounds like a good idea!  :P

sounds like a good idea!  :P

They are great ideas, you will have the hottest PC here

If it was a problem with the overclock, then surely it would blue screen like it has done before? BTW it hasn't had a blue screen because of it for a long time, just freezing for an unknown reason.

Couldn't hurt just to check because I'm thinking it's either your overclock or hard drive causing the freezing.

CPU: 6600K @ 4.6Ghz | COOLER: H100i GTX | MOBO: Asus Z170 AR | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB | 

CASE: Corsair 760T | PSU: Corsair RM750x | STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Seagate 2TB | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB | MOUSE: Deathadder Elite

Couldn't hurt just to check because I'm thinking it's either your overclock or hard drive causing the freezing.

I toned down the overclock a little bit. Went from 4.4@1.255V to 4@1.24V. If it freezes again I'll just completely turn off the overclock.

I toned down the overclock a little bit. Went from 4.4@1.255V to 4@1.24V. If it freezes again I'll just completely turn off the overclock.

I'd bring it all the way down to stock speeds, and do some of the things you mentioned cause the freeze.  If its stable at stock speeds, then you've found your issue.  You can slowly raise the clock until you reach a point where it isn't stable then back it off a bit.

I'd bring it all the way down to stock speeds, and do some of the things you mentioned cause the freeze.  If its stable at stock speeds, then you've found your issue.  You can slowly raise the clock until you reach a point where it isn't stable then back it off a bit.

I retried verifying the game cache and there was no hitches, it's only a random thing whilst being under load..

I retried verifying the game cache and there was no hitches, it's only a random thing whilst being under load..

I don't know how that statement has anything to do with what I just said..........

The best way to go about narrowing this down is to start by removing any OC you have on the system.  If its stable at stock speeds you found the problem, if not, the issue is somewhere else.

Random guessing isn't going to get you anywhere, narrow it down one thing at a time, and since the OC is the easiest thing to remove at this point, its the most logical place to start.

If the OC has no bearing on the issue, then we will move on to other components.