Are these the best headphones?

gilm0re3

I'm sick and tired of my 20 dollar JVC earbuds, and I feel like now's the time to upgrade to a set of actual cans. The thing is, I don't want to break the bank, but I also don't want to buy something that sounds like Suckfest 2016. What I've landed on is the Audio-Technica ATH-M30X. On Amazon they can sometimes drop to around 55 bucks, and from what I've gathered, Audio-Technica makes really accurate headphones across all the board. So are they any good, or is there something better for the price? I want to use them for listening to music, mostly EDM, but also some classical as well. I would also use them for gaming, watching Youtube and just other media consumption. I want something that is closedback since I am always in environments with other people and I don't want to annoy them, and I prefer over the ear vs on ear. I'm no audiophile, but still want my audio, no matter what I'm doing with the headphones, to sound as close to what the original sound was intended to be like as possible. Also, I plan to use my headphones with both my laptop and phone/tablet, so since I don't have an amp, I need it to be fairly low impedance.

So are they M30x's worth my money, or is there anything else that might work better for me? Thanks!

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

I'm sick and tired of my 20 dollar JVC earbuds, and I feel like now's the time to upgrade to a set of actual cans. The thing is, I don't want to break the bank, but I also don't want to buy something that sounds like Suckfest 2016. What I've landed on is the Audio-Technica ATH-M30X. On Amazon they can sometimes drop to around 55 bucks, and from what I've gathered, Audio-Technica makes really accurate headphones across all the board. So are they any good, or is there something better for the price? I want to use them for listening to music, mostly EDM, but also some classical as well. I would also use them for gaming, watching Youtube and just other media consumption. I want something that is closedback since I am always in environments with other people and I don't want to annoy them, and I prefer over the ear vs on ear. I'm no audiophile, but still want my audio, no matter what I'm doing with the headphones, to sound as close to what the original sound was intended to be like as possible. Also, I plan to use my headphones with both my laptop and phone/tablet, so since I don't have an amp, I need it to be fairly low impedance.

So are they M30x's worth my money, or is there anything else that might work better for me? Thanks!

Impedance doesn't guarantee that it will be drivable by a laptop, so I wouldn't shop for a headphone based on that number alone.

I would advise the M40x if you can afford the extra investment. The removable cable is useful for long-term durability.

Impedance doesn't guarantee that it will be drivable by a laptop, so I wouldn't shop for a headphone based on that number alone.

I would advise the M40x if you can afford the extra investment. The removable cable is useful for long-term durability.

I'll think about it. Right now, I would say no though just because I don't think I can shell out close to 100 bucks for headphones. I would much rather pay closer to 50. I guess I can always save up for longer.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Yeah I somewhat regret not forking over an extra $20-30 USD for the M40x with the extra features and ergonomics. 

The M30x is a decent headphone with a generous serving of bass (at least when compared to my NVX). 

Yeah I somewhat regret not forking over an extra $20-30 USD for the M40x with the extra features and ergonomics. 

The M30x is a decent headphone with a generous serving of bass (at least when compared to my NVX). 

Well, you may have just swayed me right there. 

What about the ergonomics don't you like?

Well, you may have just swayed me right there. 

What about the ergonomics don't you like?

The earcup swivels about 15 degrees total from forward to backwards on the M30X while the M40x can go 90 degrees in one direction and a little more in the other direction. 

Both headphone uses the same "meh" earpads however due to the M30x's limited swiveling movement, I notice some pressure around my ears and jaw region and this gets uncomfortable the longer you wear them. 

Removable cable is nice since you can buy the M50x's shorter cable one later on. 

I had to resort to this. 

https://dl2.pushbulletusercontent.com/jwutsdSPIxJ3RSnJ29XVes29WfIwLIme/IMAG0071.jpg

The earcup swivels about 15 degrees total from forward to backwards on the M30X while the M40x can go 90 degrees in one direction and a little more in the other direction. 

Both headphone uses the same "meh" earpads however due to the M30x's limited swiveling movement, I notice some pressure around my ears and jaw region and this gets uncomfortable the longer you wear them. 

Removable cable is nice since you can buy the M50x's shorter cable one later on. 

I had to resort to this. 

https://dl2.pushbulletusercontent.com/jwutsdSPIxJ3RSnJ29XVes29WfIwLIme/IMAG0071.jpg

My interest has definitely been piqued now.

My interest has definitely been piqued now.

Thus why I made the suggestion.

Thus why I made the suggestion.

Would buying a pair used off of Ebay be a good option if I want to save a couple of bucks? Or should I save my money for a brand new pair?

Best is relative but my Razer Kraken Pro have been driving my audio great for years and hopefully years to come.

Spoiler

i7-6700k OC'd 4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1070 SC

Best is relative but my Razer Kraken Pro have been driving my audio great for years and hopefully years to come.

Well good for you, but I would never recommend anyone to buy razer headsets, headphones or speakers OP should just stick with the M30x.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I will never buy headphones from a gaming company for good audio. I'm looking for accuracy across the board. not bass cannons. Read the original post please.

I will never buy headphones from a gaming company for good audio. I'm looking for accuracy across the board. not bass cannons. Read the original post please.

I think the M30x will be your best bet, but I am not sure since I don't own a pair and I normally don't look at that price range unless I am looking for iem headphones.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

What about spending $60 for the HyperX Cloud Core? It's a clone of the famed Takstar Pro80 with a detachable mic.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

I think the M30x will be your best bet, but I am not sure since I don't own a pair and I normally don't look at that price range unless I am looking for iem headphones.

What do you think about them vs the M40x's? Is it worth the extra 40 to 50 bucks? 

What about spending $60 for the HyperX Cloud Core? It's a clone of the famed Takstar Pro80 with a detachable mic.

I want something closer to a reference monitor than gaming headphones, since I want to use them for stuff besides just gaming like listening to classical and EDM, as well as Youtube, movies, skyping, etc. I want something accurate that plays everything well basically.

I want something closer to a reference monitor than gaming headphones, since I want to use them for stuff besides just gaming like listening to classical and EDM, as well as Youtube, movies, skyping, etc. I want something accurate that plays everything well basically.

The Hyper X Cloud are/were originally "monitoring" headphone... and a pretty decent one at that.

http://www.amazon.com/Takstar-Headphones-Monitor-Earphones-Professional/dp/B00FXSVSDW

Kingston just slapped a mic and their logo on it. 

The Hyper X Cloud are/were originally "monitoring" headphone... and a pretty decent one at that.

http://www.amazon.com/Takstar-Headphones-Monitor-Earphones-Professional/dp/B00FXSVSDW

Kingston just slapped a mic and their logo on it. 

Eh, for 80 bucks I'd much rather just spend a bit more and get the M40x's. Thanks for your suggestion though.

What do you think about them vs the M40x's? Is it worth the extra 40 to 50 bucks? 

Well that depends on how much you go up in your sound, but yeah I would think so

It has good sound I use them for mostly music use myself. And your original post says nothing about not buying from a gaming company so I don't see the point in referencing me back to it. But let me know what you choose to go with.

Well good for you, but I would never recommend anyone to buy razer headsets, headphones or speakers OP should just stick with the M30x.

And why not? And I never recommended him to buy them. I just said they did good for me. 

Spoiler

i7-6700k OC'd 4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1070 SC

It has good sound I use them for mostly music use myself. And your original post says nothing about not buying from a gaming company so I don't see the point in referencing me back to it. But let me know what you choose to go with.

And why not? And I never recommended him to buy them. I just said they did good for me. 

Well different people like different sound the M40x is a M50x with a bit less bass and a bit more loose bass.

Well different people like different sound the M40x is a M50x with a bit less bass and a bit more loose bass.

Too bad they don't cost the same, then.

Too bad they don't cost the same, then.

Well would you sell a model with a bit better sound for the same price as the product with a little worse sound?

They want to make money so the M50 has a tighter bass and a bit better highs.

Well would you sell a model with a bit better sound for the same price as the product with a little worse sound?

They want to make money so the M50 has a tighter bass and a bit better highs.

Sure, if either of those things are true.

Sure, if either of those things are true.

That is just how things are in this world and it is a bit sad.