How would you ground yourself safely?

Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,

Connect the anti-static wrist strap to the power supply's fan grill or the case. If you suffer from dry skin, you will want to moisturize it using something that doesn't contain insulators or you'll have too much electrical resistance for the anti-static wrist strap to be effective.

Moved to General Discussion.

Hello all!

I'm soon going to be building my first gaming rig, and my primary concern is static buildup.

I understand the risk of static buildup, and that it's safe to wear an anti-static wriststrap, but I'm utterly confused as to where to attach the end of the alligator clip... Some say a PSU plugged into the wall but turned off, others say the case, but which is safer?

If it helps, here are some details:

• The floor will most likely be carpet
  • The desk I will be building on will be made of wood with metal pieces on the side and plastic wheels
  • I will most likely be wearing socks because my feet get cold easily :P
  • I do have a radiator nearby, which is another recommended point to connect to
  • I will be wearing an anti-static wriststrap

I thank you all for the help, and this is my first thread so please let me know if I'm missing something.

Thanks once again.

Simply connect that thing to the radiator or just touch it with your hand everytime you handle a component. Most people never even think about static electricity and their systems work fine.
When I build my systems I ground myself once before building and then everytime before touching the motherboard, because it is the most fragile part.

Tell your parents their shithouse.

Grounded for life.

/Sorry to derail,, couldn't pass up the opportunity for a funny, best of luck finding the info your after.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Connect the anti-static wrist strap to the power supply's fan grill or the case. If you suffer from dry skin, you will want to moisturize it using something that doesn't contain insulators or you'll have too much electrical resistance for the anti-static wrist strap to be effective.

Edited by Godlygamer23
Put in topic move note.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Don't punish yourself! /s

Look at what the people said above me, it is good stuff.

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

Just touch the case every few minutes.

I built my PC on a carpet with a blanket fresh out of the dryer draped over my shoulders, and my PC still works, so, you know.

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

You won't want to be "grounded" necessarily.

The principle is the same, but it's actually putting you on the same electrical level as everything around you.

Things you can do to prevent ESD include:

• wearing an ESD strap and connecting it to the power supply grille;
  • working on a hard surface like a desk or a worktop; and
  • standing on something other than carpet whilst working, like laminate flooring.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

You won't want to be "grounded" necessarily.

I'm not sure I understand this statement. The only concerns for being grounded would be if you were working with high voltage, and considering the person probably won't be grounded while the system is functioning or around high voltage, being grounded has really no risks unless you're near some kind of screened window during a thunderstorm. Wooden tables are electrical insulators.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

I'm not sure I understand this statement. The only concerns for being grounded would be if you were working with high voltage, and considering the person probably won't be grounded while the system is functioning or around high voltage, being grounded has really no risks unless you're near some kind of screened window during a thunderstorm. Wooden tables are electrical insulators.

ESD's a bitch, though. Even a minor difference can mess up components.

Since being on the same electrical level keeps you from potentially messing your stuff up, it's better that way than being just straight up grounded.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

ESD's a bitch, though. Even a minor difference can mess up components.

Since being on the same electrical level keeps you from potentially messing your stuff up, it's better that way than being just straight up grounded.

Well no. Grounded means that any static electricity you generate goes to the ground circuit you created.

At my workplace(with military electronics), we MUST be grounded at all times in order to handle products and all of our tables that deal with product directly are grounded. IPC also has requirements for being grounded as well.

I lust plugged my PSU into the wall and Touched it Before and after I touched or moved my parts and it posts! (On carpet wearing socks)

Spoiler

[CPU] - Intel Core i5-4590  

[Motherboard] - MSI B85-G43 GAMING 

[RAM] - Kingston HyperX Beast (2x4GB) 1866Mhz... CPU only supports 1600Mhz

[SSD] - A-Data SP600 128GB SSD

[HDD]- 1Tb Seagate Barracuda

[GPU] - EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC

[Case] - Corsair SPEC-03 White 

[PSU] - Rosewill 450W 80+Bronze

I've been building / upgrading on carpet / bed for over a decade and never had a problem. I just touch the radiator pipe every few minutes.

Linus is my fetish.

just touch your case every few minutes a metal part of it

Clip on the alligator clip onto the case or PSU if you have one, otherwise ^.

You'll also want to plug the PSU in, but don't turn it on.

I've never used an anti static wrist or ankle strap. I've always built on carpet with socks and a hoodie on, and never had a problem with static

~` please , don't let my whole life burn down `~

- why can't i just focus right now? -

; i'm tired ;