What is the most important part to cool on a gpu?

Sam Harradine

Hi, i have 2 windforce 980 ti's in my h440 (old) and they get really hot. so im thinking about watercooling them. Obviously i have overclocked and want to further. But im stuck, should i get full cover block from ek? or can i half the costs and get either just a uni block or a kraken g10 and some vram and vrm heatsinks?

You might just wanna improve your airflow. The H440 already has generally bad airflow.. I think a case with better airflow would improve the temps.

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

Hi, i have 2 windforce 980 ti's in my h440 (old) and they get really hot. so im thinking about watercooling them. Obviously i have overclocked and want to further. But im stuck, should i get full cover block from ek? or can i half the costs and get either just a uni block or a kraken g10 and some vram and vrm heatsinks?

The absolute most important part is the core.

|| CPU - i7 4790K @4.6GHz || GPU - MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G || Motherboard - Asus Z97-A || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury @1866MHz |Case Be quiet! Silent Base 800 ||

|| CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO || Storage - Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate Barracuda 2TB (+ WD Caviar Green 2TB) ||

|| Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core || Keyboard - Corsair K70 (MX Red) ||

It's important that all of the components are cooled.

Most important order is probably GPU<Vram<VRM

@Sam Harradine

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

It's important that all of the components are cooled.

Most important order is probably GPU<Vram<VRM

I might change that to GPU<VRM<VRAM. If the VRM gets too hot, the GPU will throttle or something worse might occur. However, I would want every component cooled, and none neglected.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I might change that to GPU<VRM<VRAM. If the VRM gets too hot, the GPU will throttle. However, I would want every component cooled, and none neglected.

If the VRAM becomes to hot it could also throttle cause general instability, could it not?

I'm the same and would want every component cooled as well tho.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Spoiler

sex hahaha

aka everything

Exactly. Air coolers are cooling everything too ...

|| CPU - i7 4790K @4.6GHz || GPU - MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G || Motherboard - Asus Z97-A || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury @1866MHz |Case Be quiet! Silent Base 800 ||

|| CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO || Storage - Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate Barracuda 2TB (+ WD Caviar Green 2TB) ||

|| Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core || Keyboard - Corsair K70 (MX Red) ||

If the VRAM becomes to hot it could also throttle cause general instability, could it not?

The VRM is delivering a lot of power to the GPU, and if it isn't cooled sufficiently, it could be more catastrophic.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

The VRM is delivering a lot of power to the GPU, and if it isn't cooled sufficiently, it could be more catastrophic.

@LinusTech should test which is more important to be cooled.

Spoiler

sex hahaha

You might just wanna improve your airflow. The H440 already has generally bad airflow.. I think a case with better airflow would improve the temps.

currently i have the front and top panel off. with two 140mm noctua industrial faans as intakes, a gamer storm 120mm rear exhaust and my 360mm rad up top with nf-f12's on it. but now the rad gets way hotter being at the top. 

I might change that to GPU<VRM<VRAM. If the VRM gets too hot, the GPU will throttle or something worse might occur. However, I would want every component cooled, and none neglected.

i know, but the £250 extra is a real deal breakers. so im in quite a predicament, and also if i get the bracket i can use it on future gpu's most likely

I'd flip that completely: GPU>VRM/VRAM... the core is going to throw out way more heat, is it not?  So, wouldn't it be the most important thing to cool just based on that alone?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I'd flip that completely: GPU>VRM/VRAM... the core is going to throw out way more heat, is it not?  So, wouldn't it be the most important thing to cool just based on that alone?

I meant that as the GPU coming first.

So the core is the hottest part right? i guess seeing as that's where the heat pipes go. But how much difference is just cooling the core compared to normal? i dont like the heat, especially cause it's an sli set up in a h440

So the core is the hottest part right? i guess seeing as that's where the heat pipes go. But how much difference is just cooling the core compared to normal? i dont like the heat, especially cause it's an sli set up in a h440

If you're pushing high current through the VRM, it could overheat causing throttling on the GPU or, even a fire if there are no safety precautions in place(not something I can answer). The only thing on the VRM that needs to be cooled are the MOSFETs(the transistors).

oh. Well those less than/greater than was confusing; I read that as GPU<VRM, as in, GPU less than VRM, as in less important

:)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

oh. Well those less than/greater than was confusing; I read that as GPU<VRM, as in, GPU less than VRM, as in less important

:)

Just for you, here: GPU>VRM>VRAM.

just get a goddamn fullblock, why cheap out if youre already on sli. stay air or do it right

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

just get a goddamn fullblock, why cheap out if youre already on sli. stay air or do it right

Well i don't know how long i'll be keeping the 980's for that's all. I guess now you say it it makes sense