Engineering sample: Great buy or a risk?

So there is this japanese guy / girld selling Xeon engineering samels on ebay for 25% the price of e new one:

http://www.ebay.ch/itm/Intel-Xeon-E5-2670-v3-ES-LGA2011-3-12C-Compatible-with-X99-i7-5820K-5930K-5960X-/151917124981?hash=item235ef75d75:g:fSkAAOSwVL1V~YVM

From the rating ot looks like he / she is a valid seller and not a scammer.

Is ot a good way to save money are is it a big risk?

As beeing an engineer myself I know prototypes gets heavely abused sometimes for testing. Fist you do the normal testand then when you have all thet data you push the part to the limit until it gives up to figure out the limit. On the other hand you often have some spare ones that are only modestly used.

What is you opinion? Any experienses with engineering sampels?

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

You have a period of time where you can ask for a refund if it fails so I wouldn't worry

(also I have the 690 again)

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

So there is this japanese guy / girld selling Xeon engineering samels on ebay for 25% the price of e new one:

http://www.ebay.ch/itm/Intel-Xeon-E5-2670-v3-ES-LGA2011-3-12C-Compatible-with-X99-i7-5820K-5930K-5960X-/151917124981?hash=item235ef75d75:g:fSkAAOSwVL1V~YVM

As beeing an engineer myself I know prototypes gets heavely abused sometimes for testing. Fist you do the normal testand then when you have all thet data you push the part to the limit until it gives up to figure out the limit. On the other hand you often have some spare ones that are only modestly used.

NAAAAh....prototipes of any CPU or PC part are never sold they are allways dead xP. yeas it could be use cpu that ways who know overclocked and mybe the owner bought another better one. I WOULD BUY IT 

NAAAAh....prototipes of any CPU or PC part are never sold they are allways dead xP. yeas it could be use cpu that ways who know overclocked and mybe the owner bought another better one. I WOULD BUY IT 

Ok good to know. Also you can buy, there are 8 left ;)

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Ok good to know. Also you can buy, there are 8 left ;)
lol i was kidding xD i have no LGA2011 mobo here im happy to have a AM3+ and i have two of them here...(one for my new pc and my actual pc )

Not really, I've got an ES E5-2660 v1 and its been amazing to me. I've also owned an ES GTX 480 that someone on this forum has now. Both had 0 issues.
it was just a guess...i actually know a shit about intel cpus because im not a user...from theretical side yeas intel ok best but im a AMD user....

@LinusTech and @Slick use engineering samples in their servers :)

so you're probably fine :)

@LinusTech and @Slick use engineering samples in their servers :)

so you're probably fine :)

It's not like the server never crashed ;)

But that as hardly the fault of the CPU.

I have some engineering sample chips, they are fine(then again, most of them weren't used until I used them). I am concerned about that seller though. Only 161 feedback is small for somebody selling a bunch of CPU's. Also, on one of the listings they show a CPU with scratched contacts on the bottom(here), but in another listing the picture is very different from the previous one I linked to, which means they are using someone elses images(here). The scratched contacts could be an indication of what kind of chip you would get, and the stolen images could mean that this person is a fraud.

Hey nothing wrong with that man. I'm loving my reference 290X ;)

lol xD you wont make me angyrsaiing that amd is therr....you know what i just give up xD if i would have the budget i would go with a intel and nvidia card because they are better but i want it look also great i mean black red coloration like the crosshair V has and than a R9 390x and a red corsair 780T i guess it would look awsome and i think i will gona custom paint it anyways xD

I have some engineering sample chips, they are fine(then again, most of them weren't used until I used them). I am concerned about that seller though. Only 161 feedback is small for somebody selling a bunch of CPU's. Also, on one of the listings they show a CPU with scratched contacts on the bottom(here), but in another listing the picture is very different from the previous one I linked to, which means they are using someone elses images(here). The scratched contacts could be an indication of what kind of chip you would get, and the stolen images could mean that this person is a fraud.

Ok I will take that into account before buying, thanks (I won't buy something within the next 72 hours anyway).

ES CPUs overclock higher because Intel wants reviewers to have the best chips.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Sometimes people find them in Dell Job lots, then sell them for inflated prices.

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

While I've never used engineering samples myself, when I researched Supermicro boards for my server, I also looked into getting ES chips. I came across a few stories of their boards not playing nice with ES chips. I'm not sure if that's also the case for other brands, but just thought I'd mention that.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic